Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:42 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,743,478 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 year old that really wants a dog. I realize I will be the sole caregiver and owned a toy dog in college.

I was looking for a smaller dog (under 25 lbs), that doesn't shed, is intelligent, good natured, and doesn't require "high maintainence" (ie surgeries, medical problems, known congenital issues, more than average exercise requirement, etc). It will be an inside dog except for walks. I am looking into going to the pet shelters to save a dog from an uncertain future but will consider a pure bred.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM

95 posts, read 427,838 times
I suggest you call a local vet, perhaps they can recommend a bred for you. I am suggesting a minature collie. I have yorkies and a shih tuz, but they are owner loyal and might not take to a small child. Once you find a bred that is compatible, please go to the shelters, these babies need loving homes. That's where I got mine.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,229,706 times
If you go to Jax Humane Society, they can give you some ideas. They have just gotten in a couple of litters of not real new pups.

I've always gotten dogs at about a year old- housebreaking was never a big deal and I avoided the puppy chewing thing.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 PM

4,620 posts, read 15,001,710 times
Petfinder.com is a great source for not only local pets needing homes (just plug in your zip code), but you can also search by age, size, gender. Animals not suitable for young kids will have an icon stating such.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:22 AM

102 posts, read 552,039 times
I would suggest, whatever 'Breed' that you decide upon, check with the local club for that breed. They can direct you to a reputable breeder, plus give you more informatoin about the breed. Especially the bad points, they won't want you to get their breed then want to dump it late, so they will be sure you understand all the bad points of the breed. You can decide then if this is the dog for you or not.

I would also suggest getting an older dog, you should have less issues with housebreaking, tearing up stuff, etc... Puppies while cute, can be a pain sometimes.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
An older dog is a good suggestion. If you go to breed rescue organizations and petfinder.com, you will talk to people who have evaluated the dog either at the shelter or in a foster home. You'll know whether the dog came from a home with kids or lived in a foster home with kids. Just because a dog comes from a home with kids isn't necessarily an endorsement - those kids may have been beastly, and the dog may not be crazy about kids as a result. A foster home with kids would be a good test.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times
Seconding the suggestion about getting an older dog from a shelter or foster situation. Also, and I can't say this strongly enough, don't be in a big hurry. You'll want to talk to the shelter people about some very specific characteristics. With a six-year-old and you as the sole caregiver you need a smart, calm dog that hasn't displayed any type of aggression, including food bowl aggression. Think about how much you'll be able to groom it and how much exercise and attention it will need. The perfect dog for you might not be there the first time you go but it's important not to act impulsively.

It was my experience when looking for a shelter dog that most shelter workers were a bit standoffish at first when I asked specific questions but warmed up when they understood that I was trying to make a good choice so that the dog would truly have a "forever home." I had earlier made a mistake by falling in love with a very sweet, cute, small dog that turned out to have terrible separation anxiety. The first time I left her for a couple of hours she went nuts and did several hundred dollars worth of damage by chewing the blinds and scratching at doors. I ended up returning her to the shelter because I didn't have enough time to help her get over her anxiety. The second time around I got a dog from a shelter/foster situation and knew she was crate trained, had been around kids and was very smart and had not shown any signs of separation anxiety. They also told me that she barked when she was left outside by herself so I knew we wouldn't be able to do that.

Good luck! BTW, we ended up with a "Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever" or "Toller" and we all think she's the best dog ever.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,484,904 times
Hi TitaniumMD ,

A new dog! How exciting!

It warms my heart that you're considering a shelter dog - there is so much good that comes from that one small act. Not only do you give the dog you choose a home forever (and possibly save a life), but you make room in the shelter for the dogs lined up behind that one so that they too hopefully have a chance at being adopted.......so many positives about it .

It's a great lesson for your 6 year old as well. So many people purchase a dog like they'd purchase a handbag - pick out the one they want, then go to the mall and buy it . I've had dogs all my life and as a child my father insisted we adopt mutts from the shelter. As a kid, I'd be reading up on all the different dog breeds and declare we needed a "so-and-so" breed dog, but he held firm and would only adopt dogs from the shelter.

Now I do the same and I've never regretted it. I have 2 awesome dogs, one was adopted from the shelter and one was a an abandoned sick dog my husband found and brought home to me. I said "bring her home and then we'll bring her to the shelter in the morning". That was 6 years ago, and she's laying at my feet right now......!

So, your question: A low shedder, intelligent, good-natured, under 25 lbs. What immediately came to mind is a Boston Terrier. Boston Terriers are very happy-go-lucky, get along easily with children and other animals (great temperments ), very low shedding, very smart and alert, they're sort of high energy, but nothing too excessive (they seem to remain puppy-like).

Terriers overall are one of my favorite types of dogs (and my 2 are terrier mixes, but they're roughly 75 lbs each). The only small terrier I'd avoid are the Jack Russells - they really seem more suited for farm life than suburban life, they're very high energy and can have dominance streaks.

There are Boston Terrier rescue groups in Florida. Be aware that many purebred rescues have not had appropriate care (see my handbag theory above ). Heartworm infestation is common. If the dog is young (under 2 years), the heartworm damage can be treated quite sucessfully, so just know that going in:

http://www.flbostonrescue.com/

Also, TitaniumMD, now that you're in Florida, you want to be sure you give your new dog monthly heartworm treatment. Heartworms are rampant in Florida, so it's even more important than for dogs who live in other states .

Whether you end up with a shelter dog or a purebred rescue, best of luck.......I can't wait to hear about your new doggie!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,355,235 times
I would go to the local humane society and check out the dogs, see how they act. The people that work there can also give you some info about the personality, etc.
For your 6 year old, personally, I would choose an older dog. Most of the time, they are calmer and more mild mannered. Puppies are a handful.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
I would sugest a small mix [or pure] terrior breed or poodle..non sheding. If you are looking for mix deffinaly look at adults. Because as pups you will have no idea how big they will be when grown. Since you live in an apt you can litter train the dog. Would your son consider a cat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs