Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times

Advertisements

I agree that number sounds high for a rescue dog. There is a point where an adoption fee becomes unreasonable and you have to question the motive.

Beyond that though, the actual "cost" of the dog - whatever it might be - is the least of your worries. You will spend far more than that in no time......you will soon forget the initial 'purchase/adoption' price of the dog as the other costs will quickly add up to a much bigger number . They really are a member of the family and you'll want to give them the appropriate care which costs $$$.

If no one will be at home during the day with the dog, I'd advise against a very young pup as well - they need so much care when they're tiny. You might be far better off adopting a dog that is 6 or 7 months old. Often these dogs are already house-trained too - a bonus.

I'm of a different mindset when it comes to fences and crates than some others that have posted. I think fences are a must with dogs unless it is a tiny city-type dog that only goes outside on a leash. Fences are not only for keeping your dog IN, but for keeping various undesireables OUT as well . If your dog will not be fenced in, then you will need to supervise all of the outdoor time - people DO steal dogs in our area with regularity (Duval/Clay).

Crating is supposed to be for a limited time and with you both working, is it possible that the dog will be in the crate for 9 or 10 hours a day? If so, I'd say don't do it, I really think it will affect the dog in a negative way. Consider enclosing the dog in a "safe" room during the day (do you have a large laundry room? Can you put baby gates up around the kitchen?). This way the dog can move around and play some, stretch his/her legs and not get into too much trouble (of course there will be SOME trouble.....this is a puppy after all !).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 05:00 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,740,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Crating is supposed to be for a limited time and with you both working, is it possible that the dog will be in the crate for 9 or 10 hours a day? If so, I'd say don't do it, I really think it will affect the dog in a negative way. Consider enclosing the dog in a "safe" room during the day (do you have a large laundry room? Can you put baby gates up around the kitchen?). This way the dog can move around and play some, stretch his/her legs and not get into too much trouble (of course there will be SOME trouble.....this is a puppy after all !).
My neighbor designates the laundry room for the dog. I would consider that option over a crate.

I agree regarding age of the dog (I would like a 7 - 12 month old).

I am still reconsidering the options since I don't feel it is fair to keep the dog alone for a prolonged period.

Maybe a gerbil or hamster???? Maybe a bearded dragon???

I am searching the clay county and Jacksonville Animal shelters daily, though. My concern is the tick infestation that is affecting the Jax locations, right now. Several have died.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:48 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
We have a Brittany. She's 30#, easily fits in the sink to wash, does not have an undercoat to shed, she's smart, elegant, and the sweetest dog we've ever had. She is endlessly patient and has never so much as growled for any reason. She is active, but is content to sleep around the house most of the time.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have a Brittany. She's 30#, easily fits in the sink to wash, does not have an undercoat to shed, she's smart, elegant, and the sweetest dog we've ever had. She is endlessly patient and has never so much as growled for any reason. She is active, but is content to sleep around the house most of the time.
I didn't catch what breed she is...

Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I didn't catch what breed she is...
A "Brittany" is a type of spaniel. brittany spaniel - Google Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A "Brittany" is a type of spaniel. brittany spaniel - Google Search
I thought that the only Britney (s) (please forgive the pun), were ones losing her kids to K-Fed.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
Quote:

I am still reconsidering the options since I don't feel it is fair to keep the dog alone for a prolonged period.

Maybe a gerbil or hamster???? Maybe a bearded dragon???

Cats shed a lot, but they're a lot less trouble than a dog (a LOT less !).

Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Cats shed a lot, but they're a lot less trouble than a dog (a LOT less !).
Moderator cut: sorry, no ads of any type - see terms of service Terms of Service - City-Data Forum

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-17-2007 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
Quote:
I have a 6 year old that really wants a dog. I realize I will be the sole caregiver and owned a toy dog in college.

I was looking for a smaller dog (under 25 lbs), that doesn't shed, is intelligent, good natured, and doesn't require "high maintainence" (ie surgeries, medical problems, known congenital issues, more than average exercise requirement, etc). It will be an inside dog except for walks. I am looking into going to the pet shelters to save a dog from an uncertain future but will consider a pure bred.

Any ideas?
pugs are happy sweet dogs by nature.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 AM

114 posts, read 343,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpdianne View Post
I suggest you call a local vet, perhaps they can recommend a bred for you. I am suggesting a minature collie. I have yorkies and a shih tuz, but they are owner loyal and might not take to a small child. Once you find a bred that is compatible, please go to the shelters, these babies need loving homes. That's where I got mine.
A "Miniature Collie" meaning a Shetland Sheepdog? If so, I have one. They are definitely NOT low maintenance. They have several coats and daily grooming is a must. Most owners will tell you that they generally don't care for children...they won't hurt them, just are uncomfortable around them. Many small breeds are the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs