Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 AM

114 posts, read 343,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
pugs are happy sweet dogs by nature.
I've got one of those too! They shed ALOT!!! But very cute and playful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
I had a pug about 20 years ago. What a great dog and very full of love. It's important not to overfeed them and keep them trim. Mine lived to be 16.

However, the best dog I ever had for an even temperament was a stray dog I found in Atlanta. About seven years old and a spayed poodle/Welsh terrier mix. When I found her, she was all matted up and full of fleas and ticks. Once cleaned up, she was very devoted and relaxed.

For a 6 year old, most puppies and young dogs might be too energetic and rambunctious for your child. You might want to talk to a purebred rescue to check out some older dogs of known history instead of getting a puppy. An older golden retriever is also a good mild natured dog. I've often heard that labs and retrievers turn into the perfect chill dogs at 5 years of age. My lab mix is 4 and I can see how he's getting there. I adopted him at 1-1/2 years of age and based on his energy level and propensity for chewing unauthorized objects, I am glad that I never knew him as a pup.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:59 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,874 times
I have to say ...my high energy boy is way less matience then my cat. He requires excercise and training, but I'd rather do that then monthly hairballs, litter and the eating of my beloved plants(grrrr)

At the pound we got Cody they have a form you can fill out on what kinds of breeds you are looking for and they will contact you as the breed comes in. They were very nice, knew alot about my doggie and both times I went had random dogs in the desk area for social reasons ...maybe they are better then most pounds?

hope you find what your looking for!

I think mini collies(shelties) are high energy but i love them.

If your looking for a medium size and want a purebred. collies are pretty cool and if properly bred they are very calm and understanding of kids. Not apt material though.

My grandfather swears his collie/shepherd mix was the best dog in the world.
Protective but kid loving.
Labs are fun too, but the shedding is annoying to me ...it doesn't furball like long hair. It's like plastic Christams tree green ...spreads everywhere. ....Aussies are good w/ kids if properly bred. ...I actually think pitbulls are soft around kids and dobes too, but you might get worried parents when their kids visit.
All the dobes I've met have similar personalities to my childhood collie. soft spoken, fun and understanding of children.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I think mini collies(shelties) are high energy but i love them.
We have a Sheltie and an American Eskimo, BOTH high energy....extremely affectionat and great with kids.....also totally willing to let the kid know if they've exceeded the limits....[bark not bite ]

Old 10-18-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
We have a Sheltie and an American Eskimo, BOTH high energy....extremely affectionat and great with kids.....also totally willing to let the kid know if they've exceeded the limits....[bark not bite ]
I have a Aussie who is the same way. High energy, but I love the energy and prefer a dog that can keep up w/ us.
He softens around kids and aware that they are "little" humans.
He herds a little, but besides that he's perfect

Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
I would like an Italian Greyhound. Their temperament and beauty are what attracts me. Unfortunately, I have read that they can be timid and they are not good for families with young kids (not so worried about my own but it's the friends who come over).

As this process evolves, this pet is becoming more and more of mine and less and less of hers. LOL! I think I want a dog now more than ever.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I have a 6 year old that really wants a dog. I realize I will be the sole caregiver and owned a toy dog in college.

I was looking for a smaller dog (under 25 lbs), that doesn't shed, is intelligent, good natured, and doesn't require "high maintainence" (ie surgeries, medical problems, known congenital issues, more than average exercise requirement, etc). It will be an inside dog except for walks. I am looking into going to the pet shelters to save a dog from an uncertain future but will consider a pure bred.

Any ideas?
I would go to the Animal Planet Dog Breed Directory selection web site and answer their questions to determine the best breed for you. I'm also a big fan of rescuing pets. Too many dogs and cats are put down by Animal Control already, it seems only reasonable to rescue what we can. My last four dogs were rescued mutts, and I couldn't have been happier.

Animal Planet Dog Breed Directory

It sounds to me like a Lowchen, Shetland Sheep Dog, American Eskimo Dog (miniature, toy, or standard), or Beagle would serve your needs.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I would like an Italian Greyhound. Their temperament and beauty are what attracts me. Unfortunately, I have read that they can be timid and they are not good for families with young kids (not so worried about my own but it's the friends who come over).

As this process evolves, this pet is becoming more and more of mine and less and less of hers. LOL! I think I want a dog now more than ever.
every Italian greyhound I have met pees when it gets excited. yuck!
doesn't mean they all do, just the ones i've met

Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
It may be hard to find the breed you're looking for that doesn't shed. Is there an allergy issue, or a clean-up issue? The lower-shedding breeds are generally going to be the smaller breeds like shih-tzu, Lhasa, etc. and they many times won't have that easy-going temperment you're looking for... Maybe a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier, for something a little bigger than the toy breeds, nice dogs, maybe rescue (you won't find many Wheatons at the shelter...)

The larger variety of poodle are well known to have wonderful mild temperment for kids than the smaller mini and toy. From personal experience, I can say that my standard poodle is easily the most easy going, easy to train and wonderful of all dogs I've owned. My kids were 2 and 7 when we adopted him (a rescue), just a fantastic breed overall. Not low-maintenance though, brushing IS a requirement. They are not a foo-foo breed at all.

If you can consider dogs that shed that have the other traits important to you, you can't go wrong with a pug. Super-low maintenance (but they do shed!) GREAT personality, love kids, other dogs, strangers (no protection dog in the bunch). Got to keep an eye on them on hot/humid days because of their being a brachycephalic breed (with short nasal passages) Like boxers, Boston terriers, etc with smooshy faces

Beagles can be a nice choice as well. The 13" variety sounds like the size you're looking for. They can be stubborn, very scent-oriented, LOVE food, very sweet. Ear flaps like silk Yes they too shed

Have fun searching!!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
I was just re-reading this thread. It is funny to see the evolution of my search 2 years later.

I ended up with a Bichon who we found through a rescue. Best decision we ever made. My entire family and the neighbors adore him.

I know the President is searching for a dog for his daughter. The Bichon Frise was a great choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs