Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

Baby cams are proving great in so many ways. I'm glad this woman got caught .

Dog-walking scam caught on cam | Video | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Well, that's discouraging, glad the owner was suspicious and followed thru, if the owner was paying for the service, she certainly s/h gotten what she paid for, I just feel bad for the poor dog too, I hope other owners open their eyes to this scam bc if she'd done it to one, she's prob. done it to others.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
as a dog walker (or at least i used to be a walker/pet sitter theres not much market for it here in my rural area) this drives me crazy, way to give us ALL bad names...
this is why im adamant that folkscheck references and if something doesnt "feel" right, folow up. the tape on the crate is a great idea, tape not broken when you come home means the crate wasnt opend...

Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
That just makes me ill. It's not about the money -- it's about the dog.

I actually pay my dog walker MORE than she asks for, in hopes that it will endear me to her and that she'll do what she's being (overly) paid to do. I also have her text me each time, when she leaves, although she could be texting me from her own house, for all I know. That said, I leave treats for her to give Artie -- downstairs for the first outing ... and upstairs, after dinner, for the second outing. Again, she could be tossing all the treats and only coming in once to do that, and I'd never know. Hence the over-paying in hopes that it will ensure that she's doing the right thing.

We have no choice but to trust the person we're entrusting our dogs to ... but it's hard.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
There was a thread in the work and employment forum apparently that went something like this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...graduates.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
With all the talk about no jobs for college graduates this year...here's an ad on craigslist in my local area:

Interested in joining the Pampered Pooches team as a dog walking contractor?

All our dog walkers begin as back up walkers. Meaning you will be assigned jobs on an as needed basis at first. Once you get a few walks under your belt we will start to assign you regular dog walking jobs.

Here's what we look for in an independent contractor dog walking candidate:

- Ability to walk small and large dogs (up to 2 large dogs at once)
- 5-10 hours of work availability each week between the hours of 10am-3pm
- Reliable vehicle
- Commitment to a 6 month dog walking contract
- Have a college degree or be actively pursuing a college degree
- Be able to pass a criminal background check

If you'd like to be considered for our next available dog walking position go here:

Perhaps employers need to be more realistic about their needs in addition to young people not expecting what their parents have without working for it.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I am my dog walker, so yes.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,150 times
Truthfully I am not happy about the treatment of this dog by both the dogwalker and the owner. Leaving a dog in small crate like that all day to me is cruel even if being walked twice a day. I don't even like that some dog owners lock their dogs up in crates all night while everyone sleeps.

The dog walker needs a good swift kick in the azz and I would look into pressing as many charges against her as possible.

operaphantom2003, on that list - Have a college degree or be actively pursuing a college degree
LOL, um, seriously, no need to have a college degree or pursue one to walk a dog. But they must care for the dog and love, respect animals. Geez it's not too much to walk a dog, scoop the poop and even dare I suggest play with the dog. I wouldn't just walk a dog if I worked at a dog walking job. I would spend time with the dogs and play with them. They get bored too and need exercise and need to get their energy out for when their human parents come home. Ok, so the dogs will still be all excited when they come home but still to be bored in a freaking cage all day IMO that just isn't right.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
She didn't even know the lady coming in to walk her dog?!
Wtf?!

Why would you let strangers in your house?

I would also consider reporting for fraud and animal abuse (to the dog walking company).

Old 04-28-2012, 05:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
lolipop, while everyoen is entitled to an opinion, rates when used properly are NOT cruel. my dogs CHOOSE to sleep in their crates, i dont crate when i go out but thats personal choice, they do have acess to thier crates at all times however and can come and go as they please, the crates are locked atbedtime, but not untill after they have already put themselves to bed...
i crate at night because in an emergency i like to know where my animals are and that i can easily grab and go at a seconds notice.

i dont crate during the day simply because my large puppy is a visual "guard dog" (i dont expect him to guard the house, i just expect him to look out the window and bark if someone pulls up...hes big hes bully/mastif looking and thats all i need is "the look" however he cant do that job in his crate. My other 2 are generally found curled up asleep in their crates when i come home...(thats if they dont greet me at the door first)
Crates are like any other training tool...they can be abused but when used properly they are wonderfull, mabe dogs LOVE their crates, and most dogs spend their days sleeping whiel their owner isnt there anyway.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,765,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
lolipop, while everyoen is entitled to an opinion, rates when used properly are NOT cruel. my dogs CHOOSE to sleep in their crates, i dont crate when i go out but thats personal choice, they do have acess to thier crates at all times however and can come and go as they please, the crates are locked atbedtime, but not untill after they have already put themselves to bed...
i crate at night because in an emergency i like to know where my animals are and that i can easily grab and go at a seconds notice.

i dont crate during the day simply because my large puppy is a visual "guard dog" (i dont expect him to guard the house, i just expect him to look out the window and bark if someone pulls up...hes big hes bully/mastif looking and thats all i need is "the look" however he cant do that job in his crate. My other 2 are generally found curled up asleep in their crates when i come home...(thats if they dont greet me at the door first)
Crates are like any other training tool...they can be abused but when used properly they are wonderfull, mabe dogs LOVE their crates, and most dogs spend their days sleeping whiel their owner isnt there anyway.
But foxywench that woman in the video and on the news showed the dog was locked in his crate all day. Geez the door was locked so he had no choice but to stay in that crate all day You bring up a good point that they do sometimes like to curl up in their crate but to lock it all day long and all alone with no room to move or stretch out I just couldn't do that. Yeah in my opinion that is cruel. I hope she isn't keep her dog locked up all day and and all night.

I didn't think of if there was an emergency during the night it would be easier and probably in most cases be better for the dog to have h/her in the crate. I always figured dogs would go in on command if god forbid there were a fire.

I personally would prefer to let him roam around if he want's to at night. This way if something is wrong he could come get me or bark loud enough to scare away a burglar. As soon as they see a dog at the window or near the front door, I mean a real dog jumping, not some tape recording, they would be more likely to leave for fear of everyone waking up and calling the police.

I have a relative who locked his dog up at night and used the crate as a punishment too the dog went nuts every time he was put in the crate because he didn't do anything wrong and was always being punished in the dogs mind that was a means of punishment then he gets locked away in it all night long too. That poor dog went nuts and had to be euthanized. They were even taught in dog obedience school to put the dog on a leash and pick him up on the leash a few feet off the ground and shake him until he nearly passed out to train the dog to behave. I was in just finishing middle school when I was exposed to that and it was horrible to see that done to a dog. If I saw that today I would have that dog training school closed and crates being used for anything other than going to the vet considered illegal that is how horrified I was to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs