Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 PM

604 posts, read 840,344 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are unable to walk our dogs much for the next couple of months. So I hired a dog walker for the first time. I used a small local reputable dog walking company. They assigned a dog walker and so far things are going well. Do I need to tip the dog walker for each walk? I hadn't thought about it until I noticed the website states that tips or gifts for individual walkers are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,253 times
I was very sick last year and had to hire a dog walking service on many occasions. I tipped my dog walker about 20%. He worked for a service so I know he didn't get 100% of the fee. I always had the same person walking my dog and he was very reliable. I thought it was worth it.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
I am a dog walker and no, a tip is not customary.

That being said, plenty of people have tipped me but more often for pet sitting if they're going away. NOT a daily. Some of those tips are quite generous. It still is never expected and shocks me every time haha.

Of course, even though my clients know I'd do alot for them with NO TIP (like quick freebee visits if I have a concern about the pet or stay a long time if the dog is upset with fireworks or whatever) it also is a motivator to make sure I do extra for those particular people so it's a win-win I guess.

When I had a dog walker years ago I would tip BIG for Xmas. A weeks pay PLUS the week off with pay(because I always took off so that equaled TWO weeks pay) and a decent gift.

I also always paid her for days that I cancelled even if her policy was to let the client slide.

I am on sites with hundreds of pet sitters and the topic of tips never comes up. It's not expected. Sometimes we chat about gifts or if someone gets something really great LOL.

The other time people tip and it's appreciated is when they have all goofy schedules and constant changes. Whenever someone insists on paying for a cancelled job or whatever is very nice. I had a guy hire me and spend 3 hours of my time then cancel the trip. When I returned his garage remote he paid me the cost of the three hours that he estimated he tied me up without it turning into a job. (the Meet & Greet, phone time and driving time). THAT is pretty rare and when he decides to go away again, I'll won't hesitate to book him. Other times if a new person is too chaotic we aren't that willing to trust them the next time...it all depends.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-19-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-21-2013, 10:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,357,725 times
I sure would. I tip everyone who does work for us on a regular basis. Not the mail carrier though -- they don't allow it.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,536,057 times
I usually tip my dog walker the same amount that I tip my professors at the end of the quarter. At the least I tip them what I tip the city bus driver after taking the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs