Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 05:03 PM

11 posts, read 25,426 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into dog walking until I can find a job in my area. Most are more elderly people and I'm hoping a few of them would like someone else to walk their dogs for them.

That being said, I love animals, and trained our own family dog to walk properly. I know my way around them, and I'm comfortable with just about every breed.

What does everyone here think would be the best way to get started, and what they would look for in someone to walk their dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
The person who walks my dog has her own petsitting business. She is bonded and insured and trained in CPR and other medical issues that might come up on the job. Other than walking our dog and cleaning up after her, she makes sure that there is fresh water and food, makes sure that Darcy isn't sick or having any kind of distress. Our dog walker is also recommended by the veterinarians in our area.

She also brings in the mail, trash cans, and keeps an eye out for anything unusual in the neighborhood. Lights are left on if we are getting home after dark. While I have never asked her to do this for me, she also is available to take pets for grooming and veterinary appointments.

Darcy gets a one-mile walk and then some play time in the backyard. At the end of each visit, I get a written report with the date and time (I keep a notebook and pen out). If there are any immediate concerns, she notifies me immediately. She also keeps track of vaccinations and due dates.

Good luck starting your business.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Try care.com. There are animal positions there, not just nanny positions. It's also a place to advertise your services.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
My dog walker has a BS In Animal Science decades of experience and is also my neighbor.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
My dog walker has a BS In Animal Science decades of experience and is also my neighbor.
It's disappointing that a BS in Animal Science results in a dog walking career.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's disappointing that a BS in Animal Science results in a dog walking career.
Don't make assumptions about the lowly dog walker. Animal Science includes lots of awful jobs that nobody would want to do. Also the dog walker may like making her own hours, picking and choosing what she does every day, and owning her own business. A dog walker/pet sitter may also enjoy working just with the ANIMAL and not spending all day long having to engage people in discussions about things they don't care about like politics, shopping or the Kardashians.

It's funny you think owning your own business is "disappointing". Yes it's different than showing up somewhere 9-5 to collect your check.

I had one client last year who brought in $22,000. I have another one this year who is on track for $15,000. While these are not my favorite type of clients for obvious reasons they do exist if you know how to run a business But I'm grateful to get them even though depending on these jobs is not a good idea. I was paying a dog walker $300.00 per month way back in 1998. Some days when I lived in Jacksonville I could do 22 jobs and never even have to use my car because I worked exclusively in high rises. That's at least $400.00 in one day if you need the math done. Obviously, that's before taxes and expenses.

While the OP may find that "elderly people" may not be in a hurry to pay him to walk their dog, undoubtedly at a low rate like you see on Care dot com, there is plenty of business to be had considering that 60% of American households have pets. IF you know what you're doing. It's not an "easy" job, you have to hustle, know how to deal with people, network, have excellent management skills and impeccable ethics, reliability and judgement, not to mention understand the importance of being organized and developing methodologies for managing hundreds of people and their KEYS and homes and personal records. You can't have a car that breaks down or have a kid that needs to go "with you" on jobs like some fake pet sitters think they can do. You are being trusted with clients' most valued possessions their home and pets. Some have personal problems like stalkers and drug addict kids that may sneak into the house when they're gong away. You have to work any time whether it be 6 am or 11 pm or holidays. My hours are 24/7 365 per year. That's the life of a business owner and while it's not for everyone, it's certainly not "disappointing".

What's disappointing is having a kid, or friend, or neighbor take care of you pets and have the job go terribly wrong. And the reason so many dog walkers are NOT employers, even when they are booked to maximum and can't even accept new clients... is because it's so difficult to find an employee who you can trust to do the job. The stories you can read about people applying for dog walker jobs are hilarious and pathetic. It's funny and ironic how little respect a pet sitter gets while we are constantly rejecting applicants for employment because they are not in the least bit qualified or capable of being pet sitters. For that matter, some clients are rejected too, by pet sitters when the client has red flags or doesn't agree with policies in place for their protection or has their own ideas of how the sitter should be running their business.

Care dot com has only recently accepted true Pet Sitting/Dog Walking BUSINESSES on their site. It has traditionally been hobbyists and people thinking it's an easy way to make extra money. I would NEVER hire a person from Care dot com to care for my pets unless they were an official pet sitting BUSINESS.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-07-2013 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,268,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCros View Post
I'm looking into dog walking until I can find a job in my area. Most are more elderly people and I'm hoping a few of them would like someone else to walk their dogs for them.
That being said, I love animals, and trained our own family dog to walk properly. I know my way around them, and I'm comfortable with just about every breed.
What does everyone here think would be the best way to get started, and what they would look for in someone to walk their dogs?
A great little business if you can get it going! First of all I think it is important to understand what the breed of a particular dog might be. We have an American Pit Bull Terrier who "strikes fear" when people look at her and she is an absolute ANGEL! We rescued her about 7 years ago after she had been abused and I have never had a better dog. Because at first glance people shy away from her, she would be difficult to walk in a public setting. So.....my suggestion would be that you advertise first of all then schedule an appointment with the owner/owners to meet the dog...kind of like a "doggie meet and greet".
Next...while there with the dog, take him/her outside for a little trial walk around the yard just to see how he will handle. It is important that the dog knows who you are and that you get to know them a little. Keep a pocket of treats with you.
I would want a dog walker to be truly fond of my dog and not feel like she is a bother. I would want my dog to get really excited when she sees you which would make me feel confident that she is comfortable with you.
Also...be prepared to get background checked. People love their pets like they do their kids and they will be trusting you with a "loved one".
Good luck and keep us posted on how your new business goes!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with being a dog walker.

I just think it's a waste of money to get a degree for a career that doesn't require a degree and doesn't pay more for a degree.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post

Darcy gets a one-mile walk and then some play time in the backyard. At the end of each visit, I get a written report with the date and time (I keep a notebook and pen out)..
Pet Sitters secretly grade you an A++ on the client report card for leaving the pen with the notebook! I bet you even have soap at your kitchen sink - BONUS points!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
The person who walks my dog has her own petsitting business. She is bonded and insured and trained in CPR and other medical issues that might come up on the job. Other than walking our dog and cleaning up after her, she makes sure that there is fresh water and food, makes sure that Darcy isn't sick or having any kind of distress. Our dog walker is also recommended by the veterinarians in our area.

She also brings in the mail, trash cans, and keeps an eye out for anything unusual in the neighborhood. Lights are left on if we are getting home after dark. While I have never asked her to do this for me, she also is available to take pets for grooming and veterinary appointments.

Darcy gets a one-mile walk and then some play time in the backyard. At the end of each visit, I get a written report with the date and time (I keep a notebook and pen out). If there are any immediate concerns, she notifies me immediately. She also keeps track of vaccinations and due dates.

Good luck starting your business.

Would you mind sharing how long she is at your home and how much she charges per visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs