Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,412,483 times

Advertisements

I completely agree! But, I just wanted to clarify, that I don't think that because a person works full time, that you can't raise a puppy effectively, to be a great, well mannered dog. I read several responses, that basically seemed to me, that only folks who don't work should get a puppy. That is the same as someone saying that only women who plan to stay at home should have babies...

Yes, a new puppy is an exciting experience for the whole family, if everyone is on the same page about training, and fully aware of the commitment of time and energy a puppy takes, and willing to make the sacrifices of time, to make the puppy a well adjusted, well mannered and trained dog.

I TOTALLY LOVED people who came over to my house, and complimented me on Sam, "He is SUCH a GREAT dog!!!" "What breed is he?"...Like, he came perfectly trained, and it was a breed issue...right...he was a Heinz 57 mutt breed, mixed up Bassett Hound, Shepard, Corgi, who knows??? He took hours of work to be such a great dog...I was lucky, I have experience training dogs, so I knew what it takes to get a "perfect" dog...because they sure don't come that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 AM

11,284 posts, read 19,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Well, unfortunately, dh has already purchased the dog for dd. This was a decision dh made and I'm just along for the ride. I wasn't planning on being part of the dog's training but I'm thinking dh may not know as much as he thinks (he grew up with dogs but they were working dogs. I grew up with dogs that chew everything and pee where they shouldn't.)

At this point, what I need is advice to make the best of this situation as it's not changing so advising a different breed or not getting a dog at all isn't helpful. I need to figure out how to make the best of this situation.

As to barking, I'm thinking the dog will be debarked as I can't have him barking at neighbors all day and from what I read here, I can't keep him in the house all day. Nice suggestion on doggy day care but I can't afford a day care bill for the dog. I never realized that you had to have someone home all day with a dog.

I'm thinking this is going to be a miserable experience for all but it's a done deal. I was hoping it could turn out decent but I see it can't. There is no way dh is going to tell dd she can't have this puppy. I guess this one will be chalked up to life experience.

Thanks for the advice. Too bad it just leaves me depressed. I was hoping learning about puppies would help. Instead it just confirms that this is a bad decision but it's already been made. Dh is convinced that the dog will be fine.

I'm going back to my orignal plan and just going along for the ride. I'll let them do what they're going to do and stay out of it. Hopefully, both of them will learn a lesson. I'm sad to say that that sounds like the best that can come out of this.

Thanks anyway.
declawed cats, debarked dogs. Why on earth do you even want pets, if all you want to do is mutilate them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And when this "life experience" has been learned, what happens to the dog? You and your family shrug your shoulders, chalk it up to a lesson learned and go on your way. I assume the dog goes to a shelter and takes his chances that someone who cares will adopt him this time. That's great. Way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You asked for advice (it's in your title) and that is what you got. You just don't like the advice you got. And apparently your DH doesn't either.

You received some wonderful advice here and I think it's a shame you aren't going to take it. Especially re: NOT de-barking the dog. Really? Your solution is to subject an animal to an unnecessary medical procedure because no one will be home and you're just going to toss him in the backyard by himself all day. He's a dog not a iguana. He deserves love and attention not to be subjected to de-barking.

p.s. I feel sorry for your poor old cat. He should be allowed to die in peace. Instead he's going to be in a house that's in an uproar with a new, unfamiliar animal.
I was thinking about the cat, too. This will probably pretty much be the end, for him.

You have recieved great advice about puppy classes, consistency among all family members, the frequency the puppy will need to attended to, the temperament of the chosen dog. Advice from experienced knowledgeable dog owners.

You seem to have rejected all of it, even though you have admitted that you know nothing about raising a dog.

The general impression you give is of a family that wants what it wants, when it wants it, regardless of anything else. Animals seem to be viewed as toys, altered at the family's whim, to make the animal more convenient to control.

Since this is done deal, you need to first and foremost set up your home to give the senior ill cat priority and safety.

You three need to start discussing things in a constructive way, to make sure everyone is on board with training and handling methods.

ALL of you need to realize that this puppy is coming into your home as in infant, and it will take a lot of time for him to learn how to behave. The attitudes I am seeing expressed in your posts do not give me a good feeling about the future of this dog.

I hope, for the dog's sake, you can adjust your thinking and that of your family, to the attitude that this dog is a living breathing feeling being, with certain needs, and that it is going to take a lot of work and time to raise him to be a happy sociable well behaved dog.

The breed that has been chosen needs to be walked at least 2, better 3, times a day, at least 2 hours a walk. Who is going to do that? The breed needs a job to do every day. Who is going to engage this dog in a productive activity, such as fly ball or agility?

For this dog to have a happy life with you, all these things need to be worked out.

Finally, you and your husband need to learn that it is okay to tell a child NO. She could have waited until she is self supporting, and get one then.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:42 PM

538 posts, read 1,013,915 times
I wonder how this puppy is doing.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 PM

757 posts, read 1,330,761 times
I admit I did not read all the pages of responses, there are so many ways to train. The puppy will most likely learn faster then the people. Go to You Tube, look up dog training, or teaching heal, teach a dog to sit, many trainers have videos up, you can grab some ideas and think about what way you would like to teach your dog.

Remember always consider the dogs personality and temperament. Some training types may not be right for you and your dog. There are many right ways, as long as training is fun, it can be a great way to bond with your dog.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,452,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
Remember always consider the dogs personality and temperament. Some training types may not be right for you and your dog. There are many right ways
I couldn't agree with this more. What works with one dog might not be appropriate for another dog at all. That's what makes a forum, with different people who have used different approaches, such a valuable resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs