Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh! The picture with the two other dogs! The picture on your lap! The picture with the goggles! She is too adorable for words! I love her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM

18 posts, read 24,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh my gosh! The picture with the two other dogs! The picture on your lap! The picture with the goggles! She is too adorable for words! I love her!
Aww, thanks!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenya View Post
I just rescued a dog from the humane society, and I've got no idea what kind of dog it it. My wife calls it frankendog. Any ideas on what kind of (mix)breed dog this might be?

Franken Dog Photos

LOVE the photos and the hound, especially that whole Elvis lip thing going on, that is too cute. As far as what breed I would have no clue, it sort of looks like someone closed their eyes and tossed a bunch of stuff in a bowl and your pooch is the result which is great. What a wonderful thing you did taking this one into your heart and your home. We have a rescue outselves and we are not sure what breed exactly he is or how old he is exactly but he has been such a blessing and a joy for us and everyone he meets and his name is Walter.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM

23 posts, read 66,118 times
I think he's an adorable mixed with a cutie pie. But I also see some indicators of a loveable sweetheart, so it's difficult to say for sure.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
I think your dog is adorable and don't understand why your wife doesn't. My Chaos is a mystery mix too the shelter said the people who brought the two puppies in said they were part cattle dog. The one thing I do know for sure is she is an attention hound! So that is what I now tell people that ask Chaos is an attention hound! ( new breed but not really a rare one)

One of my dogs Jazz could get over a 6 ft fence at 14 weeks! Once they know they can do it it is hard to stop. She only went over when I was leaving as she wanted to be with me so so I had to make a covered potty area outside the pet door using an Ex pen with a top so while I was out she and Dash could go out and potty if needed but she could not go over the fence and I could open it up easily when I was home. Worked great also because it was not a large area they did not go out and bark as they understood what that area was for.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,441,787 times
Come back, Foxy, we need you!
About your wife, we had a dog my husband thought was ugly for probably the first year. And as she grew on him he didn't feel that way anymore, and now if you tell him he used to say so, he says you're crazy.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM

757 posts, read 1,329,794 times
All I can say, what a beautiful canine. It may be easier to rule out what he probably is not. I say rule out the Labs, as they are most often solid in color and have floppy ears. Rule out Rotts, Boxers, based on head shape and coat, also tail. The ears are either "hooded" or "candle-flame" based on the shape and position on the head. Only a few breeds really have those types of ears. But it looks like he got a little of this and a little of that from a few generations.

Last edited by SocalPitgal; 09-05-2012 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 05:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
yay feeties....

im sticking with chihuahua x whippet (or similar sighthound) with mabe some basenji based on the new pictures it looks like shes got whats called a "hare foot" her foot is longer than it is wide...
most dog breeds have a rounder foot with a wide bae bad and "short" toes (sometimes refered to in standards as a "Cat Foot" this "round" foot if better for endurance (wolves for example have this type of foot) not great for speed but great for snow, and traveling long disctances on normal ground...

hare foot however (a long foot wihtt he 2 middle toes being longer than the 2 side toes) is VERY VERY VERY common in sighthounds toy and primitive breeds...its a feature of breeds bred for SPRINTING or hunting short term, this foot is not meant to "travel" its meant to dig in on tight turns grip at speed, and "hold" prey. chihuahuas and chinese cresteds both have this hare foot and cresties in partcularuse it much like a monkey uses his hands, they can manipulate opbjects hold them turn them, makes for EXCELENT speed at digging ect.
hare foot from what i understand is a resesive trait so any breeds involved in her genetic background are more than likley to be hare footed breeds...

so given the foot shape, and that chihuhaua and sighthound were the first 2 things to stick out im going with a chihuahua x sighthound with mabe some primitied breed (ie basenji) for good luck lol.

this also makes sense on the fence jumping which for this situration id either sconsider topping the fence with a no climb (its easy to make one, simply attatch some peices of wood at the top of your fence at a 45 degree angle upwards then attatch some chicken wire...(if youve ever looked at the fences at the zoo they all go inwards at an angle at the top...THIS is why...
model your fence after a zoo fence...OR pick up a small electric fence charger and string 1-2 lines of electric 1 at the top of the fence and one about 4-6" above it...shell heve to get zapped a few times to understand but she WILL get it...
it smarts, but she will learn (and its much safer than her getting out/wandering ect.

if shes a serious escape artists, a top apron PLUS a strand of electric ouldbe the ultimate way to go (electric fences are REALY easy to put in (im talking small livestock fence with smooth wire) and run for pennies a month...i have one for the goats...dozer touhed the line ONCE...he now gives it a wide birth lol.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 PM

18 posts, read 24,173 times
Wow, i hope I don't need to go the electrified line route.... This is the kind of dog that would take several times to get it..

Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
i dunno,i thought the same abotu dozer (and the goats) but 2 shocks on the goats and 1 n dozer and they know EXACTLY what it is and keep a wide birth (and goats are notoriously hard to fence in lol.)

either way though shes absolutly adorable :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs