Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times

Advertisements

I've always had working dogs, mostly border collie/aussie mix. While I don't care about color very much, the dogs I like are mostly black with white collars or ruffs or sables, tri-colored, or merles. I've owned a couple of Shelties, and I also like Corgis, but both are also working breeds. Once a person is accustomed to their intelligence, stamina and responsiveness, it's hard to be happy with other breeds, at least for me.

I never choose a puppy on it's looks; I have a little set of criteria I partly inherited, party developed on my own, that helps me determine a puppy's intelligence, aggressiveness, courage, curiosity, and disposition. I've owned more than one dog at a time off and on, and if I'm getting a puppy while I have another dog, most often I want to see different temperamental qualities in the pup than in the older dog. But that's not always the case- it all depends on the 2 dogs.

My son loves the same dogs, but he likes them black the most. The blacker the better. he presently owns 2 completely black aussies now, a father & son pair.
I don't know why this is, as one of the finest dogs I've ever known was his, and she was a stunner. She was almost completely white, but had a blue merled face and butt, and only one big black spot over one rib. They were inseparable, and she lived a very long and full life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM

506 posts, read 1,161,509 times
Why do people dislike the black ones?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Why do people dislike the black ones?
see below vv

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
yup, black dogs and cats, superstition combined with the fact that they just dont photograph well....
th GOOD news though is in studies of criminals, it became aparent that solid black dogs were also the best deterant...
while any dog of any size will detere most criminals, medium-large (lab sized) solid black dogs were the "scariests"...
i do think solid black dogs are stunning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
it's known as black dog syndrome in the shelter / rescue community..... no one knows for sure why this is the case, but I think that Foxy hit on a couple of reasons...... they are difficult to photgraph well, some theorize that they don't show up as well in their kennels as their lighter colored cousins, may be some sort of stigma about black.... probably a combination of these and many other reasons.....

when I adopted Davey-Long-Legs, I had originally gone to look at another red heeler that had been there for a while.... but Bailey did not care for that fella AT ALL in their meet-n-greet.... so since I was there with Bailey anyway, I decided to look at other dogs they had..... my only criteria was that it had to be a boy to minimize possibility of Bailey getting her nose out of joint..... I specifically focused on the black dogs..... Davey-Long-Legs is not solid black, but he was the best match for us...... and he reared up and hugged me when I entered his kennel.... between that and the fact that he and Bailey hit it off pretty well.... well, the deal was sealed....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs