Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,485,475 times

Advertisements

I stopped reading at "She walks him off leash in the city and he constantly runs up to other dogs and people."

That statement told me that your friend is nuts. I can't stand people that let their dogs do this; they have a few screws loose (and have no manners).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,458,606 times
It can be dominance, it can be stress, but it's not just "I want to be close to you"! You won't find many dog owners who would allow their dogs to hump them, or many adult dogs who would attempt to hump their owners. Definitely this dog hasn't been taught boundaries. Your friend really does sound like she has some issues to work through.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM

765 posts, read 2,444,261 times
Follow common sense with this. If you don't feel that your baby is safe around the dog, don't put your baby in the situation. Don't go to her home and don't invite her to your home. Meet in a neutral area (restaurant or mall) where the dog can't go.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 AM

13,413 posts, read 28,786,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
It can be dominance, it can be stress, but it's not just "I want to be close to you"! You won't find many dog owners who would allow their dogs to hump them, or many adult dogs who would attempt to hump their owners. Definitely this dog hasn't been taught boundaries. Your friend really does sound like she has some issues to work through.
Exactly...personally I'd be losing her as a friend like yesterdays news

Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
The argument happened in her house if that makes a difference.
I don't care whose house it was in -- that's your baby that you're talking about. You were still right, even if it was her house.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM

809 posts, read 2,191,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't care whose house it was in -- that's your baby that you're talking about. You were still right, even if it was her house.
This is one of the many reasons I adore you, Dawn.

You always get straight to the bottom line.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,206,605 times
I think you would get the same responses in the parenting forum as you are getting here.

This woman has a problem. if she cannot see that she is in the wrong to let her dog run off leash, that a mother is going to be protective of her child and that in your home and anywhere you are with your child you have the right to call the shots then she is unbalanced. Makes no difference whose home this happened in. You have to protect your child.

I do have to say I feel sorry for her. Dogs are wonderful companions and friends but they are not children no matter how much we love them. I personally don't
think you have lost that good of a friend if she is unable to be reasonable about this.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
This is one of the many reasons I adore you, Dawn.

You always get straight to the bottom line.
I adore you right back... and I'd rep you to tell you that, but I have to spread it around first.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,566,446 times
Dogs and babies can co-exist, as long as the dog recognizes the frailness of the baby. Our kids grew up around a German Shepherd and I believe she took care to avoid stepping on them when they were babies. Of course, we kept a close eye on them.

In your case, the dog isn't well controlled and even worse, your friend doesn't acknowledge any problem. The fact you were uncomfortable and she didn't take steps to alleviate it, means you were justified in what you said and did.

Since your friend likely won't take steps to control her dog, you can take steps to do so when she plays with the baby. We went to a gathering at a friend's house and they had a young dog that would greet visitors by jumping up on them. We happened to be the first to arrive and as our hosts were busy with the meal, I took control of the dog, keeping him sitting or laying down. There was no excitement greeting visitors and our hosts were amazed at his behavior. You can do something similar, taking a dominant position with the dog.

And yes, humping can be related to dominance.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,230,720 times
My friend is definitely a little kooky, but she has been a really good friend. Maybe it's time to let a little distance develop until the baby is a bit older.

The dog situation has been an annoyance from day 1, but now it just doesn't feel safe. Ugh I hate stuff like this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs