Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,359,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
There are some very good points here. We don't feed kibble at all. Our dogs are on a raw meaty bones diet. I had a little better luck wit her today with the wolfing. The hunks of meat were too big for her to wolf and she had to tear them up and chew them. I was worried though and stayed the entire time she ate in case she tries to swallow some huge piece and choked on it. I guess it's just natural instinct that she knew somehow she couldn't. I'm just making a treat for the dogs. A whole roasted beef heart. I roast it for about 4 hours at 250F and then cut it into little strips for treats. It'sway cheaper and healther than store bought treats.
Good for you! We fed our two dogs raw for 12 years. It did slow down our scarfer a bit, but wow, she could make a chicken quarter disappear pretty fast! Never gave her any problems, though. I am still debating whether to go the raw route with our new girl. We used to live in Chicago where we were spoiled for variety. Now that we're in KC, it's impossible to find most of the things I want -- and I would never find a beef heart, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,359,025 times
Default It is actually pretty simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietlOtUs View Post
I guess I fall in the "younger generation that cannot train their dogs"... Please help me! I've been trying to house break my puppy!!
You need to take the puppy outside every hour for awhile, and when he does his business, you give him praise and a small treat. Do not yell or get angry when he messes in the house. Just sweep him up right away and take him outside. He will learn that outdoors, preferably in one particular spot, is the place to do his business.

Now comes that hard part. He will begin to act a certain way or send signals that he needs to go potty. Yoiu need to be very very alert and pick up what these signals are. We just housetrained a puppy who was found as a stray. We got her at 7 months and she wasn't trained. It took about a month, longer than with a little puppy, because she had gotten so used to going wherever she pleased. I know she needs to go when I see her trot down the hallway to the garage. That's how we get outside. With another dog we had, she would come sit in front of me and give me a certain look as she swished her tail on the floor.

See, they tell us what they need, but too often, we don't read them. Dogs who know their people understand them are always the happiest dogs.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I really don't know what is up with a lot of the younger generation and their seemingly inability to train their dogs?
I say it's because they have no direct experience in being trained to
act appropriately and getting prompt consistent reprimand when they didn't.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM

95 posts, read 308,933 times
Mine just goes sniffing the carpet when he wants to pee. I can tell when he needs to poo; he will race around the house trying to find a corner... It's so frustrating when he has one accident after another; sometimes he would pee twice in an hour. I understand the praise and treat theory but my puppy is just not getting it... I think I am doing it wrong somehow. ;(

Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
I couldn't agree more. My son got a pittbull puppy, he is almost 5 months old now. He gobbled his food when I watched him...I was afraid he would choke. I figured out really quickly that he was just plain hungry. So, I gave him a a bit more food, and also bought the larger chunks, large breed puppy food in the same brand. He is doing much better. He is still very mouthy, and sometimes he makes me a bit nervous because he seems so excited that he is out of control. I honesty feel like some of these folks just do not devote enough time and patience. Good for you for helping this pup...and you may be right about what will happen when the pup goes home. I think many folks don't keep a consistent schedule. I know that my bulldog totally knows her schedule...and I rarely deviate.
VietLotUs....Make sure that you take your puppy out right after feeding. Walk around and play, do some activity w/ your pup. They will go potty. I made sure to take my dog out at least twice before work. I would come home for lunch, take her out again...Then at about 4, after work, feed and take her out again. Then in the evening several times.
When she was a puppy...I was off work be choice, so I had lots of time to dedicate to her. Most folks don't have that much free time to dedicate to training. So, it has to be very effective w/ less time. Reward her when she is doing the right things. Make sure that you keep her foos put up until meal time. When she eats, let her drink, and let her drink when you are home anytime. Just offer lots of potty breaks. It is repetition, that's what works initially...then dogs learn to hold it. I would let mine drink just before going outside, actually encouraged her to drink...Then spent a bit more time outside with her to make sure that she eliminates. I watched this show often, here's a link
Dog Training Animal Planet Tv - Video Results

Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM

857 posts, read 976,208 times
I had that fast eating problem with my one dog. I put three large granite eggs in his food bowl and now it takes him about 4-5 minutes to eat. The eggs are the size of my fist, and I have seen no signs chipping. There are dog food bowls specifically made for this behavior.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
since puppy is on raw and wolfing...the peices would be considered "too small" make sure EVERY portion you feed is too big for puppy to even think about swallowing in 3 bites even if it means only feeding him 1 larger meal a day to acomplish that.
(i have to do that when i feed my female raw, she gets so excited that i have to give her a peice twice the size a dog her size would have in a serving just to be sureshe wouldnt gul it whole lol. so when we do raw days i feedonly once that day...doesnt seem like much but they also get small peices of meat as training treats regularly through the day

Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Well, I came up with a plan that works really well. She doesn't wolf the food when I give her food she HATES. LOL.

I discovered she hates green sheep tripe so I put an ounce or two in what ever I'm feeding her and it takes her a couple of hours to eat it.

I'm glad no one does that to me!!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
I don't think its a younger generation issue I think its a people issue. Before my dane passed I would walk him on a flat buckle collar. Mind you this dog was at least 200lbs think he topped off at a 215lbs at one point. Verbal commands was all it took. I see people of all ages struggling with dogs big or small.

I've been having issues house breaking my newest addition but its just me. So of course it will take longer. while he is potty trained ( goes on command) he still has issues holding it throughout the night. Has been since I brought him home at 8 weeks, he's 9 months now BTW. Again it just takes extra work and patience. He'll get there eventually. As far as OB he takes more work as he has a more rambunctious personality than my first dane was at this age.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
People are lazy.
They always have been.
They continue to be.
And now there are more of them.
That's all I can say.

Now I have always had ridiculously easy dogs as far as training goes (collies)...it's like starting with a cheat code, but you still have to go through the steps for all the housetraining, etc.

My dog who just passed would find you wherever you were in the house and whine at you in a verrry specific way that meant, "I'd like to go out to pee/poo now."

I probably have the only dog in existence who runs away when my toddler tries to share a cookie with her (because she knows taking food out of HIS hand is NO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs