Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spirited_elz View Post
a guy was walking on his own and she has never ever barked at any stranger wilst we walk but this time she saw him and instantly hair went up on the back of neck -she put on her big stance and hurtled towards him barking on teeth out.
Its amazing how a dog can judge the "character" of a person in an instant. My dogs have only once "alerted" on a person that I opened our door to. He was a plumber and the dogs definately did not like that he was in the house. My oldest Chessie growled and put herself in front of me. She let me know in no uncertain terms that she didn't trust him. For safety, I just put her on leash and then watched the guy like a hark until the work was done. Because she didn't trust him, neither did I. Whether he was really a threat or not, I'll never know. I do know that I trust my dogs instincts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,705,492 times
I suppose my little baby 100 pounds GSD looks kind of tough but I don't know he actually seems like he needs protecting I might need to get a Yorkie for protection.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:47 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,261 times
I have an AmStaff - adopted her back in November.

This doesn't speak well of my love life, but oh well... there has only been one time since I got her that I have gotten to see her "protective" side - I was "with" a guy one evening - she ran in and started barking in his face

I'm confident that she would do just enough to scare off an attacker, but not so much that the other person could sue for damages

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
I intentionally selected a breed not listed as territorial or protective. My companion animals are just that, companions. I do not support the use of animals or other lifeforms for any sort of violence. I think it is this sort of thing that has lead us to the number of vicious animals we see, today.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:54 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I intentionally selected a breed not listed as territorial or protective. My companion animals are just that, companions. I do not support the use of animals or other lifeforms for any sort of violence. I think it is this sort of thing that has lead us to the number of vicious animals we see, today.
I hope I'm just misunderstanding you. Although my dogs are very protective, they are not vicious, are not my guards and were certainly not gotten for any purpose that could be remotely construed as for violent intent. My dogs are very much my companions and would never threaten anyone or anything unless they perseived a threat to me. As for your companion animals, please remember they still have teeth. All dogs bite. Its just a matter of what and when they would bite that is the difference

Old 07-11-2009, 11:36 AM

314 posts, read 1,106,031 times
And I intentionally selected a breed renowned in its country of origin for its loyalty and willingness to die to protect its owner. I respect my animals for what they are and can do, and love them for the loyalty they show and the trust they inspire. My dogs protect my family, help maintain the local ecosystem, and provide a food-source through hunting. You have a furry child-substitute and proclaim that is what the rest of us should want. That attitude frightens me.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,560,715 times
Maybe you are, or not; I don't know.

What I do know is that when people want a dog to protect them, they are generally fearful -- or aggressive, or both. Both emotions get communicated to their dogs, and together the two can be a threat to those that come into contact with them, if perceived as a threat.

At any rate, I didn't intend to offend anyone. I only explained my reasons for choosing a breed that was not known to be protective, and mine wasn't. If I did offend someone, please accept my apology.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:44 PM

314 posts, read 1,106,031 times
How do you know that having a protection dog indicates fear and/or aggression? Do you have experience with large guard type dogs? Is your background in Human Psychology or Ethology? I have both.

Please don't make blanket statements about things that I suspect you know only by supposition and watching episodes of Animal Planet. That is where BSL comes from-otherwise well-meaning people who are unaware of the depth of their ignorance, yet seem insistent on announcing it.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
bailey being a cattle dog mix (with most of the mix cattle dog) does have a protective side to her..... she is VERY alert, even when sleeping.... as weird as THAT sounds..... NO ONE can approach my house or the house to the immediate east that she does not know about and let me know....... the family that lived there the first year i had her had 3 small children that she just ADORED......

i will every now and then let her out in the front yard late in the evening... with me on the porch.... we live on a cul-de-sac and i know all of the neighbors ..... and there have been a couple of occasions when she has caught teenaged boys lurking around my back yard or the next door neighbor's back yard..... they claim to just be cutting through to get to the next street over...... hard to know that late at night though..... in any case.... she herded them on through the yard and across the street towards the direction they claim to be going anyway.... she doesn't get close enough to bite.... but stays on their heels.... barking away.... until they are far enough that she feels her territory is safe again......

i have also walked back out to my car from a store or other errand and found her barking at a guy who was trying to reach his hand IN TO MY CAR to pet her.... dude could NOT understand that the more he tried to do this, the more he was freaking her out.......

if it got down to brass tacks and she or i or anyone else she cares about was in serious trouble, i REALLY don't know what would happen.... she used to be afraid of men in general, but over the last 4 years, has narrowed that down to boys in their teens to mid-20's .... i know that she would put up a good fuss... which can be intimidating if you don't know her..... all in all, i am content with her being the good "alarm dog" that she is........

but as i was reading through this thread, the thought occurred to me that we humans are our dog's most valuable resource..... so i suspect that most WILL put up some sort of defense if they feel that resource is threatened.......

Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
bailey being a cattle dog mix (with most of the mix cattle dog) does have a protective side to her..... she is VERY alert, even when sleeping.... as weird as THAT sounds..... NO ONE can approach my house or the house to the immediate east that she does not know about and let me know.......
Mine is that way, too - totally different breed, though. My trainer actually thinks it's partially due to anxiety, and there are techniques for making her less anxious in general. Not passive, but not over-concerned with things she doesn't need to be concerned about. In the end, it's really MY job to protect HER.

Quote:
in any case.... she herded them on through the yard and across the street towards the direction they claim to be going anyway.... she doesn't get close enough to bite.... but stays on their heels.... barking away.... until they are far enough that she feels her territory is safe again......
Good for her!

Quote:
but as i was reading through this thread, the thought occurred to me that we humans are our dog's most valuable resource..... so i suspect that most WILL put up some sort of defense if they feel that resource is threatened.......
Good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs