Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:40 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Moderator cut: we do not allow pitbull bashing, nofacts here just your opinion
Again, I know I sound dramatic and negative. We are very excited and happy about this dog - but the pitbull aspect of it is the one part that is unsettling. If we get the dog, we will love it and not let that affect us. But before we make our decision, it'd be nice to know if there is any pitbull in there.
Moderator cut: orphaned quoteNever, ever leave an infant or small toddler unsupervised with any dog. National Canine Research Council has a lot of good, unbiased info on dog attacks if you're interested.
Katie has a good point about your nervousness concerning this dog. If you're ready to love this dog and make it part of your family, that's wonderful. Go for it. If you are always going to be looking sideways at it because you're afraid he's a pit bull, choose another dog you'll be more comfortable with.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-16-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Moderator cut: we do not allow pitbull bashing, no facts here just your opinion
Again, I know I sound dramatic and negative. We are very excited and happy about this dog - but the pitbull aspect of it is the one part that is unsettling. If we get the dog, we will love it and not let that affect us. But before we make our decision, it'd be nice to know if there is any pitbull in there.

Just happened across this thread and took a look at your prospective pet. Don't think anyone has mentioned it, but I see a little Boxer in him. That being said.. however ... you can take this advice or not.

You are better off getting a dog after the baby is settled in and you are feeling better about things. Right now I hear you making an emotional decision. Granted, this nice looking dog needs a home, but it may not be yours. #1 your fear of a latent strain of aggression in any dog.

The dog will get attached to you and your husband, and the baby might become an intruder in the family. This does happen.

Give all your attention and time to your new baby, and get a dog later when the three of you can bond with the dog... right now your emotions are at the surface. Think about what you would do if this dog doesn't work out... you will have to return him to another shelter and then you will really feel bad. Also consider the cost of vet care, dogs do get sick, eat things they aren't supposed to, need heartworm meds and regular vacs, lots of exercise, maybe you need to have a fence too; they need to be walked a few times a day; teeth and gum issues and so on. A big dog eats a lot, and you want to buy the best food you can afford for his coat and keep him healthy. It is $$$$.

My animals are fed and cared for before myself, and they have to come first, they can't care for themselves and they can't tell you if they are hurting or have been abused. When my kids were small they grew up with a yellow lab mix, and then a Boxer ... best dogs in the world (to us anyhow) and like someone else advised, a soft mouth.

Whatever you decide, make it a decision that is best for your family.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-16-2013 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Pass this dog up I Already TOLD you YES he as Pit in Him AS Pits help Develope the Mastiff Breeds! You are Too Afraid of Pit the be a Great home for him!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
as someone with a MASTIF MIX...id trust PITBULL around a new baby MORE thn id trust ANY mastif mix...
not because of breed but because of size, mastif of ll kinds are big (ready HUGE) doofy drooly hyperactive POWERHOUSE puppies untill about 3 years old (they dont FIND their brains untull they are 2)

pitties (and the staffy bull in the UK) when raised right are known as "nanny dogs" however for their affinity for kids (ive known pits who IGNORE their own owners to go sit in the yard with the nighbors kids LOL!

that ebing said never trust ANY ANY ANY dog of ANY size around ANY baby, its that simple, no ifs ands or butts...

the dog in the picture, i see bullmastif, i see some hound, potentially a little boxer, and about 60 other little potentiallies...but yes there COULD be pitty in there...
that should not however make a difference...

honestly given the idea of a BABY inthe house i probably would WAIT on a dog....between training a dog (even an adult will need to eb trained to YOUR routein) and the shere work involved in a baby...
i suggest wiating untill baby is old enough to not need you 24/7, preferably also old enoug to understand the word "no"...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
Relegate, I know that I gave you no advice before -- just told you that the pits that I've known have been mush; and that my dog, who'd you'd think would be mush, is NOT (except for with me).

But now I'll give you advice. You see what Foxywench wrote right above this post? Listen to that. She knows her stuff.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,240,296 times
Also, Center for Disease Control is a good source to check related to incidents involving dog bites and injuries and prevention.
List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CDC - Dog Bite: Facts
CDC - Dog Bite Prevention

Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
No child should ever be in a compromising situation with any animal.

Dog...cat...horse...cow....

A bite is not the only thing that can happen.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
exactly, children are children and animals re animals,neither are robots and accidents happen...

Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Relegate, I know that I gave you no advice before -- just told you that the pits that I've known have been mush; and that my dog, who'd you'd think would be mush, is NOT (except for with me).

But now I'll give you advice. You see what Foxywench wrote right above this post? Listen to that. She knows her stuff.
I have learned a lot from both Foxy and you on this site.....

Plus...I have learned many others.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have learned a lot from both Foxy and you on this site.....

Plus...I have learned many others.
Thanks, Driller. This forum is oozing with information so that we can all learn. I've learned tons from you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs