Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,508,461 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this dog is part Pit or not. I doubt it because of his size and looks but I don't know. However, Pits ARE NOT more dangerous to children than other breeds. In fact these dogs used to be known as "the nanny dog" because they were great with kids. "Petey" from The Little Rascals was a Pit. I've fostered several Pits that were all wonderful dogs. Now my own Eskie mix should not be in the same room with small kids. It's really a matter of the individual dog.

Keep in mind, though, that a dog is a long time commitment. It HAS to be a good fit for your family and your lifestyle. Never adopt a dog simply because it's cute. You have to do your research and take time when selecting a dog. Go see Conan, spend some time with him, talk to his foster parents, go home and THEN decide if you want to adopt him or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,508,461 times
I meant to paste this link above: FOR OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS AMERICANS KNEW PIT BULLS FOR WHAT THEY DID BEST. BABYSITTING. Part I. | Yonah Ward Grossman

Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,100,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I don't know if this dog is part Pit or not. I doubt it because of his size and looks but I don't know. However, Pits ARE NOT more dangerous to children than other breeds. In fact these dogs used to be known as "the nanny dog" because they were great with kids. "Petey" from The Little Rascals was a Pit. I've fostered several Pits that were all wonderful dogs. Now my own Eskie mix should not be in the same room with small kids. It's really a matter of the individual dog.
Thank you about posting how pits are nanny dogs (or used to be) My in-law's pure bred pittie is a giant mushball. She is the sweetest thing and I trust her with anyone more than I trust my retriever mix. She used to be my husband's dog but when he moved out of his parent house they said that he could leave but she was staying because they loved her too much and couldn't live without her. Now their grandson is 3 and she is great with him. He tells her to sit, she does. He tells her to stay away from his toys she does. And the most she's "attacked" him is with a million kisses. Sure they are always supervised because she is a dog and he is a toddler and accidents can happen. Would she ever purposely hurt him, after all he is her boy.

To the OP, statistics can say many things, most of the time they are wrong becasue they are claiming a the dog that bit someone is a pit when it is not. Too many people mislabel pits.
If you want the dog, don't worry about the breed. He looks like a mutt anyway, no true 100% way to know what he truly is unless you get a DNA test done (and even then it is not 100% accurate).

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,438,927 times
Instead of just focusing on the pit aspect, is it a good idea for a family to adopt large, young dog , a year or two before having a baby? If there is ANY doubt, I say no.

Size of the dog, size of the child compared to dog, size of the teeth and jaw, are all issues I always factored as a mother when my son was small. A cocker spaniel may be more likely to bite, but it would be unlikely to cause a severe or fatal injury.

And as I wrote in a different thread, I did have an acquaintance that's son was mauled by a chow as a toddler. At least one of the grandparents that owned the dog was right there, but before she could get the child away, his skull had been punctured. So being right there, isn't always enough to protect a small child from a large dog. The child didn't do anything, and the dog supposedly, had never reacted negatively before.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,963,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
The child didn't do anything, and the dog supposedly, had never reacted negatively before.
One of these things is not going to be correct. Like the video of the toddler bouncing on the poor Rottweiler, I'm sure if the dog had finally snapped those owners would have said the same thing. Dogs are not time bombs, only when people have no idea about dogs emotional state.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,129,319 times
Whether or not the dog has Pit in it is irrelevant. Neither Pits nor Mastiffs are a good fit for inexperienced dog owners, especially ones planning on having a baby soon. The baby will take up too much of your time.

Since you seem inexperienced, I would wait to get any dog until the future baby is at least 5 years of age. This would give you time to learn more about dogs and what dog would fit your life and family.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,438,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
One of these things is not going to be correct. Like the video of the toddler bouncing on the poor Rottweiler, I'm sure if the dog had finally snapped those owners would have said the same thing. Dogs are not time bombs, only when people have no idea about dogs emotional state.
The chow was the grandparents "baby" and it was so out of character they fought the dog being euthanized. The theory at the time, was that the child was newly walking, and that change made the dog view him as prey, not a human.

I wasn't there, but I do think bizarre accidents happen that have nothing to do with the child's fault.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
It's horrible that the boy was mauled, and that the dog had to be euthanized. We had a chow chow mix we adored. We got her when my daughter was 4, but I don't think I would have wanted her living with a baby just learning to walk. They aren't the most tolerant or patient breed, generally speaking. Most pit bulls on the other hand, generally take pulling, tugging, etc. in stride. These things can happen even as you are teaching a child to be respectful of dogs and vice versa, even though you never leave children and dogs unattended together. Kids just learning to walk fall, grab onto the nearest thing, crash down onto things, run unpredictably, squeal. Some dogs take this behavior in stride, some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs