Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM

443 posts, read 877,622 times

Advertisements

We are looking at getting this dog, but are also expecting a new baby in the house. We don't want a pitbull because of this and it's hard to tell if there is any pitbull in him. He is described as Mastiff Mix. What do you think?

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Mastiff | Seattle, WA | Conan URGENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
what does the breed have to do with the baby?
And I can't tell my the picture what it is other than adorable.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Temperment test the dog. my friends had to put down their corgi because it went ballistic around their newborn (why it did is another matter). Pit bulls properly socialized are no more danger to children than a well trained Labrador. Whereas my poor reactive spaniel I couldn't trust around small children. He freaks out if you stroke him wrong. Do individual dog research and don't worry about breed mixes.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I agree with sawyersmom - whether or not he's got pit bull in the mix isn't relevant. What is relevant is how he is with babies...the fact that he's been good with small dogs is a plus. As is the fact he's good with people, kids and other dogs in general. The cat thing is probably just a prey drive thing.

From the photos, it's hard to tell...possible there's some pit bull in the mix. He looks like a lovely dog.

I'd talk to the shelter/rescue and find out more. Back when I was fostering regularly, I would often be hesitant about adopting out large-ish dogs (OF ANY BREED INCLUDING LABS AND RETRIEVERS) to people with babies or toddlers if a: I really didn't have a good handle on how the dog would be with very small children and b: if the owners didn't seem like experienced dog owners.

I've adopted out pits and pit mixes and a Rottweiler-Chow mix to people with babies, little kids and/or grandkids and since I stayed in touch with the adopters, I know it worked out great. I've refused to adopt out a French bulldog, a Dachshund and an Aussie mix because I wasn't confident they'd be 100 percent stable with little kids.

Talk to the rescue/shelter. If they are at all responsible, they'll steer you right.

I hope this boy gets adopted!

EDIT: I also agree with Lost_In_Translation!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
I see some hound in the eyes. It really is impossible to tell in him. He could be mix of a mix of a mix...Heinz 57.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
I agree with everything everyone has said. Pit bulls can be wonderful with babies. Individuals of any breed can do poorly with babies. Talk to the shelter for more info and guidance.
I also agree that I see a little bit of hound in the main picture, and he's probably a true mutt, maybe with pit bull, maybe not.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM

567 posts, read 1,012,341 times
I too agree with a little bit of hound. Are you sure you will have time to give this dog enough attention with a baby on the way? Nothing is worse than a dog being a part of the background.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
He looks like a pitbull cross to me. Not a purebred.

There can be insurance issues with a pit bull and there are certainly renting issues if you don't own your own home.

With a baby in the house, I would go to a purebred dog rescue, associated with the national parent club for that breed, and get a dog that had been fostered by an expert in the breed and that had had a very careful temperament evaluation. I'd also go with something from either the hound group or the sporting group, where dogs were developed to be safe around other dogs and around strange people. That gives you a slightly better chance of getting a non-aggressive dog.

I'd give preference to the sporting group where dogs have been bred for centuries to have a soft mouth.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Now that y'all mention it...yes, there could very well be hound in that young dog. Look at dogs in the Hound group - coon, treeing walker, fox, Catahoula, etc. Especially if you are in a southern state, hounds are way more common down south and they often share traits with bully breeds. Wiry, muscular bodies, silly ears, wide range of markings or colors, size.

Rescues will often be a bit disingenuous about what they think is in the mix to encourage responses, and often, honestly, it is often is impossible to identify any breed in there. I call those Canardly dogs. Canardly tell what the heck it is. I know cat rescue people who will label any LH tabby a "Maine Coon" or "Norwegian Forest Cat" and every cat with Siamese-ish markings as some type of Siamese/Himalayan/Ragdoll simply because people get stuck on labels and like to think they got a "good deal on a pure-bred" cat. Hey, people do what they think will work to find homes for animals...

To be honest I am not seeing Mastiff. "Mastiff" is a general type description (google mollosser, here's the basic wiki) and judge for yourself.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:21 PM

443 posts, read 877,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
what does the breed have to do with the baby?
And I can't tell my the picture what it is other than adorable.
Not to be overdramatic, but don't the stats show that 75% of babies fatally harmed by dosg are by pitbulls?

In any case, my wife is in love with this dog and really wants to adopt it. This is just something that should be a consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs