Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM

687 posts, read 1,495,378 times

Advertisements

We were told my dog was a pit/lab mix. Her DNA test, for what it's worth, came back dobie/boxer/rott/GSD/etc., no pit or lab at all. She's now been trained as my service dog, and she's wonderful with my 19-month-old and 6-month-old grandbabies. She also "mothers" puppies that we take in as fosters. Judge the dog, not the breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
I also wonder how much experience the OP has with dogs. The dog described is young, high energy, and strong. An inexperienced dog owner, new baby and energetic strong dog is not a good combination. The focus should be not on breed but how well this dog's personality will fit with your family.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:29 PM

443 posts, read 878,747 times
I'm no expert, but doesn't he look like he pretty obviously has some pitbull in that second picture of him lying on the bed?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I also wonder how much experience the OP has with dogs. The dog described is young, high energy, and strong. An inexperienced dog owner, new baby and energetic strong dog is not a good combination. The focus should be not on breed but how well this dog's personality will fit with your family.
My wife grew up with big dogs, but I've never had one. Also, the plan for the baby is within the next year or two, so it's not like the baby will be arriving within the next few months.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,240,296 times
It says he is good with children 8 and up. There is your answer. Pass
You are much better off going in person to meet any prospective dog. I have a bulldog...and I raised my kids with a boxer, for 16+ years. I never had one worry, He was awesome, but regularly scared strangers at the door.
I did at one time have a lab/dane mix that turned into Cujo. So, often depends on the individual dog, their personality, how you raise and love them.
You honestly sound very inexperienced w/ dogs. I would suggest a smaller more temperate breed. I personally love boxers. But, you have to be firm w/ any young dogs, they learn who is the boss, no worries. I have seen many very mellow golden retrievers, yellow labs, pugs, I would not ever suggest a mastiff breed for a first time dog owner.
Do some research on the various dog breeds there are several that are good family dogs, including many mixed breeds you'll likely find at your local shelter. Good luck to you.
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/#l
http://iams.com/pet-health/dog-breed...s_e_1550912309

Last edited by JanND; 02-15-2013 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: links added

Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It says he is good with children 8 and up. There is your answer. Pass
Well, they say: "He hasn't been with very small children, like toddlers, but has been with children ages 8-10 years and up."

So it doesn't necessarily mean he's bad with babies, just doesn't have experience with them.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
I won't comment on the breed -- I always guess wrong. I'll just say these two things:

1. I never met a pit bull who wasn't a complete lovebug mushball.
2. My dog (Artie) is a Lab/Beagle/Corgi mix. He'd eat a baby for lunch.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,172,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Not to be overdramatic, but don't the stats show that 75% of babies fatally harmed by dosg are by pitbulls?

In any case, my wife is in love with this dog and really wants to adopt it. This is just something that should be a consideration.
I'm not going to look up stats because it hurts my head.

Consider that pit bulls and pit mixes are the ghetto dog of choice and all too often owned be people who shouldn't be entrusted with a houseplant. Let alone a dog, or a child. There are reams of books and studies that show that is is not so much the breed of dog, but how it's been raised and managed.

ANY large, young, strong dog is capable of harming babies - in fact (you can google this) Pomeranians, Dachshunds, Golden Retrievers and Labradors have all seriously killed or maimed people in the last decade.

It truly is more about the individual dog, and not the breed, or even size. Clearly, breeds bred for guardians or pit fighting or working individually may very well be (as a group) less suitable, but also consider that pit bulls were once regarded as Nanny Dogs and perfect for children, and guardian-type breeds are reknowned for being faithful and nurturing and reliably gentle with kids.

Seriously, you need to let the breed stereotype go, and talk to the people who know this dog. I will not lie...I have owned Rottweilers for over 30 years, and fostered many dogs - including pit bulls and pit mixes - and I am not shy about denying prospective owners for any number of reasons and I would never adopt out a drivey-type dog (REGARDLESS OF BREED) to someone who I didn't think capable of giving it a good and safe home.

In short, if you're unsure about your ability to deal with a high-energy, large young dog plus a newborn baby...I'd hold off until you find a dog that is proven with babies and toddlers. And I hate to say this because from his petfinder profile, this dog looks like a gem.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:58 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,727,994 times
I'm not going to get into the pro/con pitbull discussion that I predict is about to flare up. But I will say that if I were expecting my first baby I would not adopt a dog right now. You and your wife are going to be very busy and it's going to be hard to give the dog the attention he needs. Also, when your baby is toddling around in 2 years you're still going to have a big, rambunctious dog on your hands and if he's knocking the baby down, slurping on him, etc, you may find yourself less in love with the dog under those circumstances.

It's a beautiful dog and chances are good that it would not harm your baby, but if I were you I'd hold off til the baby is bigger and then get a dog that you know is calm around children.

Shelters are FULL of big, high energy dogs that people have turned in because they play too rough with the kids, or are destructive in general. Dogs need time, energy, training and attention to be happy members of the family. If you're not 100% sure you can't give that to the dog, you shouldn't adopt right now.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,370,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I see some hound in the eyes. It really is impossible to tell in him. He could be mix of a mix of a mix...Heinz 57.
YES!!!!! The eyes are the give away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs