Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:00 PM

120 posts, read 549,424 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We have a 9 week old, adorable purebred Basset hound puppy who we are in need of rehoming. To make a very long story short, my 4 year old daughter was bitten (badly) on her face by a playmate's pitbull almost a year and a half ago. She required stitches and needless to say, it was very traumatic for us all. However, she LOVES animals and we decided to adopt a puppy. We researched and decided to get a basset hound due to their gentle nature with children. We also decided on a puppy rather than an adult b/c we didn't want to adopt a dog whose past we were unaware of...the dog who bit my daughter was a rescued fighting dog. This puppy has no food, territory, person, dog, cat or possession aggression; HOWEVER, her play with my daughters, mainly the one who was bit, escalates quickly to the point where the puppy is breaking skin and she is holding onto her to the point that my daughter has bruises around the teeth marks on her legs and arms. We have talked to our Vet and she has been very supportive in our decision to rehome our puppy. We have become attached to her, but we feel that we cannot adequately train her, specifically the type of training with bite inhibition, we would need with young children. Please do not use this as an opportunity to talk about training, etc...we are meeting with a trainer this week for a behavioral assessment. I really just need help on how to find a home for her, one with older children or no children where she won't see the young children as her littermates. She is a wonderful puppy, but needs some work to help her overcome the results of the breeder giving her away too early. We do not want to return her to the breeder b/c we now believe that they are not ethical breeders. We know she would thrive in the right home. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Yeah, hello...that is what puppies do. The sweetest, smartest, most gentle dogs I know had to pass through this phase. And one came to us at 5 weeks old and spent 11 years with us as a PERFECT dog.
That is something you train them out of.
This is a matter of time and training.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
My personal opinion? You should never have bought a dog if you didn't intend to put a good deal of time, energy, and money into training it.

That said? Put an ad out for a free dog to a good home, then interview people who call until you find a family you think is appropriate.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:21 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I'd talk to your trainer and your vet. They may know of someone looking for a puppy. I also see quite a few foster pets up for adoption thru my friends status reports on facebook. I understand you're wanting to find a good responsible home for her so I think asking someone you trust like the vet or trainer or your friends is the way to go. There's no really great way to screen people you don't know or who haven't been vetted by a friend or professional.

I do agree that the puppy's behavior sounds completely normal. If your daughter is shrieking and squirming (which is also completely normal kid behavior) the puppy will just think it's playtime and continue to bite/nibble/mouth. Hope the trainer can help you either work through the mouthy stage or find a new home for her. If you're interested in more puppy training info I really like the book and website My Smart Puppy and Children and Dogs | mysmartpuppy.com .

And I don't think it's the breeder giving her away too early that caused this kind of behavior although I do think many puppies are taken away from their moms too early. All puppies mouth and bite. That's part of having a puppy.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Surrender the puppy to a rescue group who will find the perfect family
http://www.cbhr.com/

Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Contact a breed rescue group in your area. That's the safest way to find a good home. Buyers for labs and dogfighting operations are very sophisticated as far as knowing what to say to reassure people.

I must mention that from childhood to dotage I have shown scratches, bites, and bruises from puppies with no ill effects. They're not trying to hurt anyone or show dominance; they just don't know any better.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
If you went through a responsible breeder, that breeder will take the dog back. If you went through a pet store that likely bought from a puppy mill, contact local basset rescue groups and see if they have room. I will also agree that you should not have a dog, puppies are work and you don't seem to be committed to doing that.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM

185 posts, read 473,136 times
At 9 weeks old you expect it to know not to bite? You should not have gotten a puppy... This is a puppy phase...buy your daughter a toy "stuffed" dog

Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, hello...that is what puppies do. The sweetest, smartest, most gentle dogs I know had to pass through this phase. And one came to us at 5 weeks old and spent 11 years with us as a PERFECT dog.
That is something you train them out of.
This is a matter of time and training.
That is just not true. I have a lot of toddelers and small children around and I would never expect or allow any biting of them by my standard poodles.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Puppies do nip. It does take time and consistent efforts to sometimes train them that nipping hurts and is not allowed ever.
OP, you made a naive mistake, it happens. thank you for trying to re-home in a responsible way.
I would wait until your children are in at least grade school before attempting to adopt.
Your friends that had a rescued fighting dog should not have allowed this dog close enough to bite your little girl. Sorry that she has had to go through this trauma.
Good luck on finding a good home. I think the suggested rescue organizations would be a good first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs