Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,174,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
My personal opinion? You should never have bought a dog if you didn't intend to put a good deal of time, energy, and money into training it.

That said? Put an ad out for a free dog to a good home, then interview people who call until you find a family you think is appropriate.
Oh please do not do this! It's really, really bad advice.
Dog fighters look for free bait dogs and cats and have people who are very good at posing as the perfect family.

Look to responsible breed rescues....you are getting rid of a puppy and the younger the puppy is the more willing rescues will be to take it because it's a fast rehome. Put up a photo and description at your vet, that way you have an instant referral.

Also please do not get another dog, ever.. This puppy is doing what puppies do. That you made an impulse buy without doing sensible resaerch is bad, that you are ready to get rid of a nine-week-old baby puppy without even making an effort is bad, and what message you are giving your kids about making bad decisions and throwing away inconvenient animals is just awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,147,247 times
NO NO NO to free ad. Please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I shudder to think where this puppy will end up.
RescueMe.org has a wonderful reputation all over the country for specific breeds. they send out alerts to people who sign up for a specific breed in specific states. many Many happy customers who either rehome or adopt.

http://www.rescueme.org/

Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,483,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

That said? Put an ad out for a free dog to a good home, then interview people who call until you find a family you think is appropriate.
NO NO NO on the "FREE" to a good home part. That's how bunchers acquire pets. I thought this would be common knowledge on a dog forum.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,483,090 times
didn't read all the replies when I posted so I'm glad to see others also covered the "free to a good home" issue. Can't be emphasized enough.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 PM

423 posts, read 1,095,552 times
Whatever you do, do NOT give the dog away for free. Bassett rescue willl gladly take this baby and re-home her.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,434,642 times
I would google Bassett Hound Rescue in your state and contact them. THey likely have a waiting list of responsible ppl who would be happy to adopt your puppy. They check vet and personal references, do home visits and if it doesnt work out w/ the new owners, they have them sign papers so that the pup will always go back to them, she'll never wind up in the pound. If you place her yourself, would definitely do a home visit, check vet ref's and personal ref's and if you still have concerns, don't leave the puppy w/ them, the puppy needs some stability in its life and it's not fair for a puppy to be passed around, they need a routine and time and energy. Unfort. ppl say what you want to hear and oftentimes lie to get what they want, the puppy needs someone who can afford to get it vacc'd and spayed too (which a reputable Bassett Hound Rescue will do). Best of luck.

PS THe puppy prob. considers your children (esp. the younger one) her siblings, very rarely will young puppies listen to young children. Hopefully whoever adopts her will take her to puppy classes etc, right how she's a bit young but it's something that definitely s/b considered. The nature of even the most gentle puppy is to get frisky and perhaps playbite at times (esp. if it's overtired etc) and sometimes it happens so quickly that it definitely can be intimidating to the child which is why it's imperative to not leave them alone together (which you're prob. not doing anyway).

Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 AM

120 posts, read 549,580 times
I was hoping to find responses from people willing to read the entire post. This was not a rash decision, nor was the thought of rehoming her ever in my mind. It angers me when people pop up on threads where people are seeking help, only to jump up on their soapboxes. Do not tell me I am not willing to work with this puppy. That's all we've done from day one. She's been to the vet several times, she's meeting with a trainer and will be having puppy socialization. I have always had dogs, from the the puppy stage. I am completely familiar with "normal" puppy nipping so I would appreciate it if those of you whose only comment is "that's what puppies do", please refrain from responding. Jump off of your "dedication to any and every animal" soapbox for a second to realize that I am dealing with a unique situation in that my daughter was attacked and received over 40 stitches on her little face. We are willing to work with her, but not willing to have her bruised and bleeding every time she attempts to sit with our puppy. Wow, the lack of compassion from some of you is astounding. Thank you to those who read the entire post and understand that we love this pup, but the safety and mental well-being of my kids is number one. There are many who would have taken her immediately back to the breeder, which I will not do b/c I do not believe she will be treated the way she should. She has been in our home for almost one month and been given the best love and medical care. And, yes, there are puppies out there who will not bite until the point of bruising and bleeding. We EXPECT nipping, but biting and not stopping when we try to correct? NO.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,443,436 times
I'm just wondering, how old was this puppy when you got her? Puppies should stay with their mothers until 8 weeks at a minimum, and preferably 10 or 12 weeks. This is where they learn their bite inhibition. You're correct in saying this was not a quality breeder, if you've had her longer than a week. Edit, I reread the above, and you got a 9 week old puppy a month ago? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to slam you, but do not do this again. That is horribly irresponsible of the breeder, and that is where your dog's problem lies. Poor thing.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 AM

120 posts, read 549,580 times
Default Responses just insensitive...urgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oh please do not do this! It's really, really bad advice.
Dog fighters look for free bait dogs and cats and have people who are very good at posing as the perfect family.

Look to responsible breed rescues....you are getting rid of a puppy and the younger the puppy is the more willing rescues will be to take it because it's a fast rehome. Put up a photo and description at your vet, that way you have an instant referral.

Also please do not get another dog, ever.. This puppy is doing what puppies do. That you made an impulse buy without doing sensible resaerch is bad, that you are ready to get rid of a nine-week-old baby puppy without even making an effort is bad, and what message you are giving your kids about making bad decisions and throwing away inconvenient animals is just awful.

I am so appalled by your rude, smug comment. We are an intelligent, well-informed family who did extensive research about breeds before deciding to add a puppy to our family. It was far, far from an impulse. We are not "getting rid" of her as you imply. We are trying to be loving, responsible people who want to find a home for her where she can thrive, perhaps in a home with older children. Biting and bruising my child, who has already been traumatized, is not just an "inconvenient" behavior. We are working responsibly with our Vet and a trainer. Really, I can't believe that people would respond to me in this manner after what my child went through. And, to suggest that this was an impulse buy just boils my blood. Nothing is further from the truth. We are working with her. I probably shouldn't waste anymore time on this b/c you apparently don't have children or are not adept at reading an entire post and comprehending it's meaning. I would NEVER offer a dog free to a good home. Really? What part of "we do not want to return her to the breeder, we will not take her to a shelter" do you not understand? Let me say this to you in simpler terms : This was extremely well thought out...we essentially rescued her from a backyard breeder....we fully understand/understood that puppies nip....we are working with our vet and trainer...we have their support in that our puppy may have some behavioral work that does not mix well with OUR FAMILY, particularly since our daughter was injured. They, along with reputable breeders, who have replied compassionately, agree that the degree of biting and resistance to correction is unacceptable. Please think twice before getting on your soapbox...believe it or not, there are people our there who give it their best and the animal still does not fit well with their family make-up or history. And, there are people, like myself, who want only the best for that animal.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,443,436 times
I realize you're on the defensive now, and you might not want any more discussion about whether or not to rehome your dog. But I have to say, since your puppy is still at an age where she would be learning bite inhibition from her mother and littermates, can you hang in there with her for another month or so while you and a trainer work with her? Of course, any interaction with your daughter would be strictly supervised, and would be part of the learning process along with the puppy's interaction with all of you. Chalk up what's gone before to experience, and with some work you may have a wonderful dog for many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs