Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That is just not true. I have a lot of toddelers and small children around and I would never expect or allow any biting of them by my standard poodles.
It's not true that puppies go through play biting stages?
Really?
Have you ever had a puppy?

Btw, no one said you allow it. You TRAIN them out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
When you pose a question to a public forum you will get all sorts of comments, not just the ones you want to hear.

It seems like you already know ALL the answers, not sure why you bothered to post here at all. Your intelligent, well informed family who extensively researched breeds is writing off a 9 week old puppy because it's acting like a puppy, it's like expecting a 6 month old child to be potty trained. Your trainer and vet are telling you what you want to hear to get rid of the dog, so find a breed rescue and get rid of the dog. Don't get another one until your child is no longer traumatized, I'm sure your intelligent, well informed family is working on a therapy program to help her.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelee View Post
I am so appalled by your rude, smug comment. We are an intelligent, well-informed family who did extensive research about breeds before deciding to add a puppy to our family. It was far, far from an impulse. We are not "getting rid" of her as you imply. We are trying to be loving, responsible people who want to find a home for her where she can thrive, perhaps in a home with older children. Biting and bruising my child, who has already been traumatized, is not just an "inconvenient" behavior. We are working responsibly with our Vet and a trainer. Really, I can't believe that people would respond to me in this manner after what my child went through. And, to suggest that this was an impulse buy just boils my blood. Nothing is further from the truth. We are working with her. I probably shouldn't waste anymore time on this b/c you apparently don't have children or are not adept at reading an entire post and comprehending it's meaning. I would NEVER offer a dog free to a good home. Really? What part of "we do not want to return her to the breeder, we will not take her to a shelter" do you not understand? Let me say this to you in simpler terms : This was extremely well thought out...we essentially rescued her from a backyard breeder....we fully understand/understood that puppies nip....we are working with our vet and trainer...we have their support in that our puppy may have some behavioral work that does not mix well with OUR FAMILY, particularly since our daughter was injured. They, along with reputable breeders, who have replied compassionately, agree that the degree of biting and resistance to correction is unacceptable. Please think twice before getting on your soapbox...believe it or not, there are people our there who give it their best and the animal still does not fit well with their family make-up or history. And, there are people, like myself, who want only the best for that animal.
I understand that you were hurt by what was said to you and I'm sorry that you feel beat up. I just want to say a few things to, perhaps, make the responses a bit more palatable to you:

- Many people on this forum work in dog rescue, foster dogs, work with abused pets, etc... and have seen some awful things.

- Many people do not know that offering a dog for free is not wise.

- This forum has seen some posts that are beyond sad and beyond reprehensible, and that's where the "we must protect the voiceless dog" feelings come from.

Please reread the responses in the light of that knowledge. Everyone wants what's best for the puppy -- that's it, that's all.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 AM

120 posts, read 549,424 times
Yes, that has been the plan all along...we are planning to work with her, with the trainer, before we make our final decision. I was just putting "feelers" out to see about where I could find responsible resources should we decide to rehome her. I have already contacted both Basset Hound rescues and one is full to capacity and is only rehoming bassets from shelters. The other I have not heard from. Yes, yes, yes, we are dedicated to giving her a full chance, which means working with a trainer and our vet before we find her another home. I'm sorry I thought that was clear from the beginning.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelee View Post
Yes, that has been the plan all along...we are planning to work with her, with the trainer, before we make our final decision. I was just putting "feelers" out to see about where I could find responsible resources should we decide to rehome her. I have already contacted both Basset Hound rescues and one is full to capacity and is only rehoming bassets from shelters. The other I have not heard from. Yes, yes, yes, we are dedicated to giving her a full chance, which means working with a trainer and our vet before we find her another home. I'm sorry I thought that was clear from the beginning.
Look, the dog will lose her puppy teeth (which are so incredibly sharp - my finger was fileted open entirely by accident by my puppy...she wasn't even biting - I had reached around to grab something and her mouth was there and my finger just dragged along her tooth) and then go through a "I MUST CHEW EVERYTHING" teething phase and you'll be out of the woods soon.

Make sure she has other outlets.
If they can't play nice, don't have your daughter play with her at this time.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM

120 posts, read 549,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
When you pose a question to a public forum you will get all sorts of comments, not just the ones you want to hear.

It seems like you already know ALL the answers, not sure why you bothered to post here at all. Your intelligent, well informed family who extensively researched breeds is writing off a 9 week old puppy because it's acting like a puppy, it's like expecting a 6 month old child to be potty trained. Your trainer and vet are telling you what you want to hear to get rid of the dog, so find a breed rescue and get rid of the dog. Don't get another one until your child is no longer traumatized, I'm sure your intelligent, well informed family is working on a therapy program to help her.
I honestly wonder how any parents out there would feel about this rude comment about their daughter's traumatic experience?

Do NOT involve my child in your response. Although her safety is my priority, and what we experienced plays a part in the overall picture, she does not deserve your insensitive remarks about her recovery. Amazing that you are willing to stoop this low....this was merely a thread requesting responsible resources "should" we decided to rehome her, after working with our trainer, etc...I don't have all the answers, this is a difficult matter, and seriously you have taken this thread way off topic. I applaud all of those who rescue, foster and rehome animals in need. I do not feel I deserve a character attack or any snarky comments about my 4 year old daughter. This was not a thread asking "do you think we should have gotten a dog?" This was asking how we could go about rehoming a puppy, after we have utilized countless resources to a home where she could thrive. What is so wrong with this? You act as if I just got her, that I refuse to get training for her and that I'm going to drop her off on the side of the road. Just not sure why you went to the extreme...and, yes, when you bring up my daughter, who was seriously injured, as with any parent, you are touching a live wire.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
ETA:

I just noticed this is a 9 WEEK OLD puppy?

Forget everything I typed here, and rehome her. To a breed rescue group. Do not give her to ANY strangers she could end up to be fighting dog bait.

Quote:
specifically the type of training with bite inhibition, we would need with young children. Please do not use this as an opportunity to talk about training,
Well you're right there's no TRAINING really, in the traditional sense, only YOUR ENERGY. Training you LOL.

Don't waste your money. The only thing your puppy needs is to live in a home with CALM assertive energy, a pack leader human who directs her actions providing boundaries, rules, limitations, and gets exercise to get out the energy she has and enjoy her walks for enrichment. You need a behaviorist to show you dog body language and how to use it yourself.

I have no problem with rehoming to the right family but you could be the right family by tonight.

I could show you in 15 minutes and also how to have your DAUGHTER be a pack leader in the scheme of things, but unfortunately we don't know each other. And I'm only a dog walker/pet sitter and don't do "training" the dogs just act RIGHT with me because I speak dog like so many other people.

YOU calmly set boundaries about what she's allowed to do, AND stop the rough housing. As soon as it escalates a little bit. She's waiting for you to just say stop and redirect her. A pack of dogs does not tolerate the youngest one to get out of hand, they just say stop in their own language.

Normally mentioning the name Cesar Millan causes all kinds of drama on the internet, so I anticipate this, but just watch his show on TV or internet. You can learn all of what you need by grasping the concept of leadership, calm energy, boundaries, rules and limitations. IT's YOUR family's leadership not any tricks.

People LOVE shouting "alpha roll alpha roll" about Cesar Millan LOL and completely ignore the fundamentals of his advise. I guess they'd prefer people euth their last chance red zone dogs instead of having them lay down calmly for 5 minutes. Also hilarious that people think it's ok for the dog to BITE them but laying down is "flooding" hahaha. But a clicker is sooooo much better [for a year that doesn't work anyway].

You can do it in 15 minutes to an hour, I promise you. By using NO words. Just your energy if you had someone with you to learn from.

Obviously, if your daughter is getting "bitten" you're allowing "play" which is not play but roughhousing/toys, running around the back yard like a nut, etc without setting boundaries. Is your husband playing "tug of war" etc? Stop doing anything in an excitable way around her.

Start by completely ignoring her until she calms down don't touch, don't talk, no eye contact - when you walk in the house for awhile and she'll calm down. Give her a Gumabone to chew to redirect her energy. Hold it in her mouth and don't just throw it on the floor thinking she'll "get it" but she might.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-17-2013 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Op, of course I feel terrible about your daughter.
What I admire about her is how she is not subsequently afraid of all dogs now.
So many people let one bad experience color their attitude and life forever.

Is she in charge of the dog?
My son (18 months old) is in charge of feeding our dog.
Obviously, he is a baby, but he knows how to open her food canister, scoop up food, put the scoops of food in to her bowl, and present it to her. With guidance, of course...he would keep scooping all day if we weren't there telling him that 2 scoops is enough (LOL!). But the dog is trained to sit and wait to have the food placed on the floor and receive a release command to be allowed to eat.

I think his giving her food can only strengthen their relationship and keep fresh in her mind that even though he is less than half her weight (~25 pounds vs 60 pounds of muscly smooth collie), he's still in charge of the good things in this house.

Your daughter is much older and can take more charge of the dog's needs and even participate in the training process. It will empower her and create a different bond between her and the dog (who probably sees her as a playmate that can be romped on and chewed, etc).

Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Just a thought about the puppy biting/nipping that I don't think were mentioned - there's 2 products that may help curtail it - Bitter Apple or Yuck! (Yuk! - ?) - the work best when wet and they can be sprayed on shoelaces, hands etc - of course distracting the puppy w/ a bone probably works best. Anyway, FWIW -

Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,357,725 times
Find a breed rescue to take the puppy. Then do not get another dog, not ever. Giving up on a nine-week old baby dog is a sign that you should stick with kids and not pets.

See my status up there? "Homeschooling puppies". Two puppies added to our home since last November, one 7 months and not housetrained, the other 7 weeks and is now 5 months and teething like crazy. You want to back out of a commitment, go ahead, but don't expect everyone to walk on eggshells around your feelings.

Last edited by TinaMcG; 06-17-2013 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs