Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay let me tell you that is not always the solution although do try , this lady cussed me out one day at the park when i offered her a bag . She told me to take that bag and shove it up my azz and she was not going to walk around the park carrying dog sh*t so go to hell ...I kid you not I must be a whacko magnet ...anyways I m just going to be careful whom I offer a bag to anymore .
OMGsh....that is crazy. I hate people that don't pick up after their dog. Makes all of us look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
I guess I don't have to deal with that since it is a rule to pick up here. Actually one time they even had a reward for people who catch others. However, it doesn't seem to be enforced but I still don't see much of it. Sometimes I don't pick up after Rocky though because I don't see it.

I understand that crap is extremely gross (believe me I know when I'm picking up after Rocky I feel like getting sick if I breathe it in) and it's really bad when you step in it because it gets in really slimy. However, that doesn't annoy me too bad. What really annoys me is when people leave trash (particularly food particles. I rarely see it but it does exist. I've seen a chicken leg on the ground before). Reason being, Rocky ended up eating something off the grass. Granted he was fine but what if he had gotten sick? At least dogs don't usually eat crap but dogs WILL eat food or something that can sink their teeth in. People just don't care when they litter. I see so many cigarette butts on the ground where I live and it annoys me. Sure it's not as gross as crap like I said but it's still gross to look at and I wouldn't put it past some dogs to eat it like Rocky ate what did he did (never did find out what it was) before the owners can even stop them and that is hazardous if they eat those. Also the thing is in that case THEY made the mess so they should clean it up so that makes them even more responsible than dog owners. Is it that hard to not throw them on the ground?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Avoid stepping in dog poop.
I try!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm having this same problem as i live in a corner lot and the community mailbox happens to be next to my house...pet owners tend to have their dogs crap in my yard while they go out to get their mail. I already asked the HOA to write a letter for all the pet owners or entire neighborhood, but they said it is impossible to send out that many letters. There has to be like 8 pet owners in my neighborhood. I see alot of dogs. I even posted a sign on the mailbox to let dog owners know to pick up after their dogs or stop their pets from crapping in others yards. It was taken down after a couple of days.

If i could lay something(chemicals) on the grass/yard to deter dogs from stepping on it, that would be great. Better yet, if i could get away with poisoning the dogs, maybe this would finally wake the owners up....btw, bags aren't gonna work!
As a dog lover I take offense to any reference to poisoning a dog!

It's the humans that are at fault here not the dog. Dogs don't have the ability to reason and depends on his/her owner for guidance. It's not the dog's fault that his/her owner want clean up after them.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'm having this same problem as i live in a corner lot and the community mailbox happens to be next to my house...pet owners tend to have their dogs crap in my yard while they go out to get their mail. I already asked the HOA to write a letter for all the pet owners or entire neighborhood, but they said it is impossible to send out that many letters. There has to be like 8 pet owners in my neighborhood. I see alot of dogs. I even posted a sign on the mailbox to let dog owners know to pick up after their dogs or stop their pets from crapping in others yards. It was taken down after a couple of days.

If i could lay something(chemicals) on the grass/yard to deter dogs from stepping on it, that would be great. Better yet, if i could get away with poisoning the dogs, maybe this would finally wake the owners up....btw, bags aren't gonna work! The only way i can avoid this issue is hiring someone to mow my yard, but i want to mow my own yard.
Serious Dude??? Can't believe you would post that on a dog thread. Can't say what I would like to say because its against the TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
As a dog lover I take offense to any reference to poisoning a dog!

It's the humans that are at fault here not the dog. Dogs don't have the ability to reason and depends on his/her owner for guidance. It's not the dog's fault that his/her owner want clean up after them.
Yep, owners fault.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
We stayed long term in an RV park and what I saw was the ones most likely to leave "it" were the older folks with at least 2 little dogs, like little poop is some how not offensive when you step in it and children who walked monster dogs and left it. I often thought they had the children walk the dogs so they would not have the responsibility to pick "it" up. I always offered a bag and sometimes I got the "look" but I just kept standing there looking back at them until they gave in. It pays to look scarey! Once we had a woman walking her dog and it pulled over and pooped in our yard, she was walking away and I yelled "I guess you are going to go and get a bag and pick that up? I have two dogs of my own to clean up after." I know this had been happening before with her and her dog but was unable to get outside the other times. Her dog favored our yard. She quit walking in our block.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Thanks guys for weighing in and the right thing to do is clean up after your dog or dogs. You can't just leave a large mound on someone's front lawn and think it's ok to leave it there. My inspiration for starting this thread was the large land mine I stepped on this afternoon going to check my mailbox lol!

The HOA board in the community that I currently live in is trying to get mandatory DNA testing approved for all registered dogs in our community. Some people may complain about big brother spying on them but if you scoop your poop it shouldn't even be a concern.
I think that's crazy, way too extreme, and these are probably people who hate GOVERNMENT intrusion into their lives. Don't get me started on HOAs, little tinpot dictatorships. Who on earth is going to volunteer to pick up poop, pack it up and send it in for testing? And who will pay for it? That is just overkill.

There are far more reasonable and effective ways to get people to clean up after their dogs. But I wouldn't mind finding out whose DNA is on the Bud Light cans I picked up from around our mailbox today, because I'm way more concerned about a drunk driving around the neighborhood than who didn't pick up after their dog.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
We seem to have some new people coming to the dog park that do not like to clean up after their dog(s). The other day this large dog came and pooped by the group I hang out with I cleaned it up and was so tempted to then tie the bag to the dogs harness. The owner was clear across the park not paying any attention to his dog so as a group we have decided that next time we will do just that! Or maybe put the poop filled bag on the owners car with a note that reads "oops forgot something"

I am also thinking of making some signs to stick on the gate so people see them as they are leaving.. I would like to put a photo of a pile of poop then write "Found dog poop if yours please claim and dispose of it properly...Thank you"

Old 08-03-2013, 06:25 PM

74 posts, read 136,407 times
Offering a bag is a great idea. I will confront somone if I see it happen, or ill say something not so polite, loud enough for the dog owner to hear.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,324 times
I found a metal poop bag box at a local consignment store.. only $5. I filled it up with baggies, and attached it to my mailbox. Worked like a charm!!!!! Baggies are cheap, and it saved my sanity.

If your yard is a magnet for the poopers, why not have a bunch of bags out there for people to use. I know we shouldn't have to do that, but if it's the difference between being angry all the time or saving a bunch of bags and hanging them out ...

I have been in the situation of walking a dog, and being without a bag! I would be thrilled if someone offered me an extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs