Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,368,073 times

Advertisements

I don't think it matters where they're made. Beggin' Strips are horrible things regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 01:52 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,990,042 times
Please don't give your pets anything made in China.
Their human food has been badly tainted.
If they have such low standards in human food, you can barely guess what they put in dog treats.

Hell, they still EAT dogs.

Chinese people with enough money get ALL their children's formulas from Great Britain or Germany. They don't trust government inspections one bit.

You must remember the milk laced with melamine.

Just don't do it. Who knows if your dog ends up with a short life or a disorder that your vet misdiagnoses or cannot diagnose?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:50 PM

439 posts, read 961,880 times
Default China junk food is a killer

Please do not give your pets any Beggin or Chicken Strips. Additionally most of the rawhide treats are toxic also as they have been chemically treated unless from a verifiable pet health food store.

High rates of cancer in humans and now our beloved pets is happening because of high levels of toxic chemicals in their food stuffs. Additionally throw in flea and tic treatments, heart worm meds etc all are accumulative and can have a devastating effect on our furry friends.

Day after Christmas I lost my Rudy to horrible facial cancer and now my female German Shepherd has bladder cancer and a degenerative spine issue.

Bottom line is make your own treats. For special occasions or oral health I will have the local butcher cut some marrow bones that I lightly steam to kill bacteria. With supervision I allow my two babies to munch on those until they start to try and break them up...cleans their teeth.

In closing I scour the web on a regular bases to see if any bad info has come up about the current dry food they are getting. Really sad that our great government allows all this poison to be put in our food including our furry kids. It is truly about the "money". So buyer beware and read those packages very carefully.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM

22,873 posts, read 6,448,539 times
Thanks for all your responses, fortunately he likes carrots, apples, etc. even prunes...along with real
meat and poultry....I'm done buying any dog treats that may even have a chance of hurting my boy.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,990,042 times
We had a German Shepherd. My mother used to slow fry some liver, cut it in chunks, put it on a platter and freeze it without covering. It turned out to be a freeze dried treat. When they were all frozen she dumped them all into a plastic bag and kept them in the freezer.

Seigrun loved them. My cat, not so much.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Someone told me that they are made in China, then someone else said they are made in the USA,
Milo's jerky is the Purina brand made in China...tried to look it up, found various answers, it says
on the bag they are from Missouri, but then read somewhere the ingredients came from China.
I don't intend to buy any more but I do have a package left. Any opinions? ....Thanks.
If something is made in the USA it will almost always say Made in the USA. Companies have no problems saying when their stuff is made here, but if its made in China they won't be as excited to share that information. If its distributed by XXX company in XXX, USA then it more then likely is made somewhere else. Purina food is made over in China. Their headquarters are in St. Louis, MO, but they're not actually making their products here.

I won't buy my dog any food or treats that don't say Made in the USA on the packaging. I actually don't buy him too many treats. He eats fresh fruits and veggies (that are dog safe) as his special treats, and occasionally an egg on those nights where we have breakfast for dinner.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:
....wouldn't you know it's one of the very few treats my dog likes..in fact
only those and Alpo snaps...
It would be better for your dog's health to just buy him a box of graham crackers, made for humans. That is good healthy food and doesn't contain any more sugar than the beggin strips. Limit the amount the dog gets and the sugar from half a graham cracker in a day won't hurt the dog.

The commercial jerky for humans is loaded with salt, so I don't feed it to my dogs. I make them salt free jerky, but that might be too much effort for some of the dog owners out there.

Whole grain Cheerios work for some dogs.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,139,830 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your responses, fortunately he likes carrots, apples, etc. even prunes...along with real meat and poultry....I'm done buying any dog treats that may even have a chance of hurting my boy.
He will LOVE you for it!!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,691,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Because you are asking...I will say that I personally would not give my dog Beggin Strips, no matter where they are made. IMO, too many of our pet food & treats come from China (a good deal of our food, too). I do not trust the giant corporations to use quality ingredients in the food or treats.
Ditto. I walk my dog several times a day and there are people in my complex who rush outside with cookies whenever they see her. One neighbor was occasionally giving her Beggin' Strips and every time, she would get slightly sick; i.e., going off her food and having the runs. None of the other neighborhood treats had that effect on her.

I give her Fruit Wraps from Drs. Foster & Smith. She loves them. Yes, they're made in China. I'm too lazy to make treats, so these will do. You would either have to make your own or buy from an expensive specialty shop to get doggie treats made in America.

Fruit Wraps are bananas, apples, and mangos wrapped in strips of chicken. They also have Veggie Wraps, which she likes, but she LOVES Fruit Wraps.

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 10-21-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
Just put my little 5 year old dog down because of massive kidney failure!!! We need legislation which forces these dog food companies to follow the same strict standards as those that produce human food!!!!! I blame Purina and their poison BEGGIN STRIPS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs