Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 AM

575 posts, read 3,695,506 times

Advertisements

There are no known insurance companies licensed to operate in MA that give any type of discounts for good canine citizens, to any breed. (see another thread about this) Since this is your LL you can find out who the 'carrier' is and please post the name such as Allstate, NG, Farmers etc.. so other MA homeowners can benefit. Of course there are carriers who will insure either at the going rate or higher rate.

A dog license is of course traceable, the city either has a record of the license or they don't!

Any follow up to this story?

and many times dog attacks happens so fast there is no time to read the dog & process the information to avoid it.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:47 PM

68 posts, read 398,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i am thinking that some on this forum will insist that this story is fabricated or that the breed was not a pitbull but maybe a yappy chihuahua instead?
Take my word, nicolepsy. I, for one don't believe for one minute that this story was fabricated. Although pitbulls are reputed to be steadfast and loyal to their owners, (which is possibly true), they're often quite unpredictable, especially towards strangers and strange dogs. There's a golden rule that applies to owners of pitbulls: Never trust your pitbull not to fight. More to the point, unlike pitbulls, most dogs don't have the ability to permanently maim or kill their prey.

Pitbulls evolved from the crossbreeding of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which was aggressive enough to kill rats that came over on ships carrying immigrants from the Old World to the USA, and the Bull Mastiff or the regular Bulldog, which was originally bred as a work dog. The muscularity and strength of a Pit Bull Terrier owes more than just a little bit to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the coldheartedness and lack of emotion and high pain threshold is owed to the Bull Mastiff. Pitbulls also have strong mouths and jaws, plus furrows that can drain the blood from their victims' eyes as well. No matter what anybody says or thinks, these dogs have been known to turn on their owners or a family member out of the blue. Because of the genetic breeding, these dogs make perfect breeds for dogfights, and, contrary to whatever other people say or think, one has to ask why mostly tough guys and criminal elements buy these dogs.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapl View Post
Take my word, nicolepsy. I, for one don't believe for one minute that this story was fabricated. Although pitbulls are reputed to be steadfast and loyal to their owners, (which is possibly true), they're often quite unpredictable, especially towards strangers and strange dogs. There's a golden rule that applies to owners of pitbulls: Never trust your pitbull not to fight. More to the point, unlike pitbulls, most dogs don't have the ability to permanently maim or kill their prey.

Pitbulls evolved from the crossbreeding of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which was aggressive enough to kill rats that came over on ships carrying immigrants from the Old World to the USA, and the Bull Mastiff or the regular Bulldog, which was originally bred as a work dog. The muscularity and strength of a Pit Bull Terrier owes more than just a little bit to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the coldheartedness and lack of emotion and high pain threshold is owed to the Bull Mastiff. Pitbulls also have strong mouths and jaws, plus furrows that can drain the blood from their victims' eyes as well. No matter what anybody says or thinks, these dogs have been known to turn on their owners or a family member out of the blue. Because of the genetic breeding, these dogs make perfect breeds for dogfights, and, contrary to whatever other people say or think, one has to ask why mostly tough guys and criminal elements buy these dogs.
I for one also believe that this was a Pit Bull. What else would it be? It seemed as I read it the breed of dog was easily known.

However if you don't know about a breed why even comment on it. Making up "facts" about a breed, no matter what seems childish to say the least. This isn't just when dealing with Pit Bulls, more recently I saw negative untruths about Beagles which seems so senseless.

To clear this up....

*Pitbulls evolved from the crossbreeding of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier

No Pit Bulls were created from crossing Bulldogs and Terriers. There were a few types of bulldogs, various sizes and sorts which were often used in bull baiting. The Terriers included the Blue Paul Terrier, Black and Tan Terrier and White Terrier. The SBT is also a result of such cross breedings. SBT were known as the nanny dog because of their gentle nature with children.

*which was aggressive enough to kill rats that came over on ships carrying immigrants from the Old World to the USA

This statement seems ill placed of any breed and a pointless statement. As if a dog who would kill a rat is overly aggressive dangerous? I see a big reason to ban cats as they are "aggressive enough" to kill mice, rats and rabbits.
Most breeds which were used to kill rats were terrier breeds. Not generally APBTs although their relative the Bull Terrier is said to be used frequently in ratting contest. Some SBT were also used to kill rats. This is called keeping down vermin and no different then a cat or other breed doing the same.

Breeds developed and commonly used for ratting include
Manchester Terrier (1 of the first created for this purpose)
Jack Russell Terrier (which will even tangle with larger more formidable animals, true terrier fearlessness)
Yorkshire Terrier (was created from many small terriers and used to kill rats and other vermin, a breed such as this will take on a bear and die fighting, its their terrier nature)
Patterdale Terrier (developed/used to kill rats, fox and rabbits, today they are also used to hunt raccoon and badgers).

This is just a few of the breeds used for ratting. If you knew anything about breed history (obviously don't) and English life at the time you would know that peasants were not allowed to have the nice hunting dogs of royalty so most kept small terriers for hunting/rat killing. Many Terriers history lies in hunting of prey and killing rats, some who were vermin and some who were victim of ratting contest. You really have no idea what terriers were created and used for?

Dachshunds are much like terriers they were developed in Germany used to hunt badgers, I guess they are so aggressive to actually take on even a fox or larger animal.

*the Bull Mastiff or the regular Bulldog, which was originally bred as a work dog.

LOL you sure have a lot of knowledge to share. Again the APBT was created by crossing bulldogs and terriers and is a bull and terrier breed. I'm not sure what a "regular" bulldog is but this breed was created from bulldogs in Europe some of which were not actually "breeds" more like types. A bulldog was defined as a dog used in bull baiting or for helping hold bulls and helping in other work. The Bullmastiff Charming. The APBT did not come from SBT/Bullmastiff cross in the least. The APBT has been around for quite some time, even not by this specific name, bull and terrier, half and half, sporting bull terrier, pit terrier or even simply bulldog (although it had terrier blood crossed in). The dogs were brought here at least in the 1800s and existed prior in England (and other countries like Ireland). The Bullmastiff was only just being developed/created in England in the mid 1800s. They were created to keep game safe on estates because of poachers, they are from 60%Mastiff and 40% Bulldog, there only relation to the APBT is the bulldog blood. So how is it that the APBT existed before Bullmastiffs were even developed if they came from bullmastiffs? The Bullmastiff came here (US) in the late 1800s, they were not recognized in the US until 1933 and they were not even recognized by their own kennel club (of England) until 1924. APBTs were recognized in 1898 (in the US) and had been here several years before. What you are saying is not only nonfactual it is practically impossible considering Pits were developed before Bullmastiffs.

I’m not sure how one could mistake this as a cross with a Bullmastiff?

These are Petey from the Lil Rascals – Our Gang Comedies

This is a Bullmastiff

Which is larger in size, shorter muzzle, wrinkled face (hmm maybe they have furrows for blood draining?), almost always solid colored in either fawn, red or brindle (as only a small amount of white is permissible on the chest, they breed away from that however since white is so undesired and most have no white at all), and must have the black muzzle.

APBTs smaller, medium length muzzle, few wrinkles to the skin, can be almost any color and a few nose colors. White ranges from small amount (only similarity to the bullmastiff) BUT can also be Irish White, Piebald or extreme Piebald leading to a solid white dog. Not anything like a Bullmastiff. May or may not have a black muzzle like several other breeds.

Of course a mix of the 2 would yield something different. I have seen some before and most gain the large, rounder skull of the Bullmastiff and some have the shorter muzzle the same with Pit/Boxer mixes. Although not always some will look a lot like a pure Pit but large. As well these dogs often lose drive and ability. Especially when it comes to hunting/fighting. These crosses typical create larger lazier dogs, the sport the have been best in has been weight pull because of their size/strength. These strains which are APBT/BM crosses are not usually comparable to APBTs in their working ability, so it is ridiculous to think that they would be created from such.

*The muscularity and strength of a Pit Bull Terrier owes more than just a little bit to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the coldheartedness and lack of emotion and high pain threshold is owed to the Bull Mastiff.

That is true of the SBT, they are very strong and many comment that the SBT while a separate type (today) is actually the ancestor of the APBT. As the dogs imported were basically SBT and only refined in the US.

Considering that APBTs didn't come from bullmastiff your comment is irrelevant. Although it is a little humorous. The high pain tolerance in the APBT came from the cruel sport of pit fighting, which is also what the SBT was used for. The bulldogs and SBT ancestors of the APBT had to have a high pain tolerance to fight one another as I'm sure 2 dogs biting into each other causes great injury is painful. That is where the high pain tolerance comes in. This didn't come from bullmastiff. Bullmastiff didn't even need a very high pain tolerance to guard against poachers, they worked along gamekeepers and rarely had to fight a man or take any type of abuse. It was the gamekeeper you had to watch out for and of course sentencing to be hanged.

APBTs themselves don't have a "lack of emotion" as a trait. They can be quite an emotional breed and are very handler sensitive. They are also sensitive to moods and feelings of their owner/family.

A Bullmastiff couldn't be cold hearted, this is something applied to humans not animals. They don't have reasoning to cold heartily plot something out like a serial killer.

Bullmastiff are one of the few guard breeds that were actually bred to corner/hold intruders rather then bite/attack them. The worse they did was jump at/knock down the person. Sometimes they penned them down like that other times against something. Which to me would make them a safer guardian then most others and one of the least dangerous anyway. I'd rather be attacked in a bullmastiff fashion then the way other breeds do with their teeth!

*Pitbulls also have strong mouths and jaws, plus furrows that can drain the blood from their victims' eyes as well.

They do have a strong jaw, some stronger then others. Furrows for draining blood? What an imagination you have. Maybe write a fiction novel on a mid-evil monster? Next we'll hear they breath fire and their tongue flies out to grab their victims right to their jaws.

*No matter what anybody says or thinks, these dogs have been known to turn on their owners or a family member out of the blue.

Its not what I think its what I know. They can like any other breed attack or even kill a family member. I wouldn't call it out of the blue but people do because they don't understand dogs or their body language. The Lab that attacked the 9yr old boy was also "out of the blue" according to his mother. I nor anyone else can't pretend to know what took place but I doubt the dog just woke up that day and decided to attack her son. She missed or ignored warning signs.

I also know that while like any other dog they can be dangerous they are not very likely to turn on their owners. Because they were specifically bred to not turn on their owner or even a handler who was a stranger when fighting or injured. A poorly bred dog will not live up to the breeds traits and isn't a good representation of what Pit Bulls are generally like. The same goes for other breeds, they are not what that breed normally is, they will do things atypical to that breed whether its a minor annoyance or a big danger.

*Because of the genetic breeding, these dogs make perfect breeds for dogfights, and, contrary to whatever other people say or think, one has to ask why mostly tough guys and criminal elements buy these dogs.

Well no kidding? I don't know what people you are talking about. Anyone that knows the history and creation of the APBT knows that they have been bred and developed for fighting. Why would they not be "perfect" at it. Its an unfortunate truth. This is like saying about Labs "these dogs make perfect breeds for retrieving" Um yeah.

Since we are talking about genetic breeding what about the fact that human aggression was culled out of them because a sound dog was needed to be separated during a fight and aftercare given on a dog with severe wounds. Most other breeds are known for biting humans when fighting, its even acceptable. I've been on forums and talked with people face to face about how their "which ever breed" got into a fight and they got bit separating them. It is more then common knowledge that when a dog is severally injured it is likely to lash out, growl or bite out of pain or fear. While dog fighting might be a heartless bloodsport it caused positive traits to be set in out of need. Breeding and genetics locked in these traits gameness, stability, trustworthy, loyal, strength, courage, energy.

Those people buy the dogs for obvious reasons. They are jerks who will misuse and abuse dogs for their own selfish needs. They choose large or powerful breeds because of just that. The dogs appear intimidating and of course are physically powerful. I love when it backfires since APBTs are generally very people friendly its funny when druggies get them as guard dogs. When the cops raid the dog is just standing there wagging their tail. Happens a lot around my area, I don't love that they have APBTs I just love that they think they are getting a big bad dog and get a powder puff. I think it is awesome that the Pit Bull named Popsicle was rescued in a drug bust and used as a narcotic dog. It is like he is paying them back for all that abuse they put him through. Well at least did, he retired as the #1 customs dog in the US, when he graduated at the top of his class and received a significant seizure medal it was like a big slap in the face to the people who abused him and threw him out like garbage. Probably because he wouldn’t be a mean guard dog or fight as he found was dying and had wounds on his head.

Maybe we should ask why those in service or law enforcement use them? Most of them say because of their determination and that they are easy to train and love to work.

If someone doesn’t like or even trust Pits that’s there choice and they have every right to say so. Making up facts isn’t needed nor should it be done. How could someone take you seriously if you show to not be credible by making up a whole breed history among other things? There are a multitude of sources available for learning about accurate breed histories.

Last edited by APBT_Samara; 01-01-2008 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,405,085 times
Wow, what is going on in this thread? How did an article on a pug-eating pit stir up so much debate?

My sister owned a pit bull, which eventually had to be put down for aggression. Lovely dog, but it was biting people and scaring the neighbors. I'm glad to see that some folks here have a much better experience with the breed.

greenie

Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Maybe we should ask why those in service or law enforcement use them? Most of them say because of their determination and that they are easy to train and love to work.
Can you tell me where these pit bull service dogs are working and how many there are in service? I've never noticed any pit bulls working the K-9 squads ever.

And btw, about the dog in the Lil Rascals show, that dog looks nothing at all like any of your dogs. But... that is further proof of what I posted in the other thread about breed standards and characteristics changing over time. And that Our Gang series dates from the 1920's.

Otherwise, this American pit bull site (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm) says this about the breed:

Quote:
Developed from the Bull and Terrier types of yesteryear, the American Pit Bull Terrier comes from an indisputable history of pit-fighting. The breed's tenacity and accompanying strength are unmatched in the canine world.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM

Apparently, they are used in service:

http://www.workingpitbull.com/activities.htm

Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Can you tell me where these pit bull service dogs are working and how many there are in service? I've never noticed any pit bulls working the K-9 squads ever.
US Customs Dog
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/CustomsToday/2002/October/k9.xml

Training K9 Officers
http://www.lawdogsusa.org/home.html

One of the dogs Neville was rescued from his death of a ban in Canada, now he works to keep our country safe.
http://www.lawdogsusa.org/k9neville.html

These SAR dogs I've seen them in non Pit/Bully publications.
http://www.mprgroup.net/news/ppfeb05.html
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...s/sarpits.html

Service dog
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...les/spike.html

Service dog
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...es/shelby.html

Another K9 (looks so be mixed with Lab)
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...es/taylor.html

Service dog
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...les/panda.html

Service dog
http://www.pitbullpress.com/ARTICLES/atyourservice.html (broken link)

Another on Customs these are SBT not APBTs, different type but almost same breed. The SBT were the original dogs that were first imported here and name changed. So they developed as separate types, and now so has the AST
http://www.pitbullpress.com/ARTICLES/CUSTOMS.html (broken link)

Service dog of injured stunt man Melvin Rossi
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/704250332

Service dog
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28711...37860382edOXhY

This is old, but the 1st certified hearing dog in Alaska
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...icles/rca.html

Therapy dog
http://www.pitbulllovers.com/trainin...pit-bulls.html

More on therapy dogs
http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pitbull...-kentucky.html

Therapy dog video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSgEcIOmojo

Therapy dog
http://dogblog.dogster.com/2007/12/3...-a-therapy-dog
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.js...nav=Groupspace

There is an officer local to me with an APBT. I was surprised myself although we have toyed with the idea of doing some of this training outselves.

Quote:
And btw, about the dog in the Lil Rascals show, that dog looks nothing at all like any of your dogs. But... that is further proof of what I posted in the other thread about breed standards and characteristics changing over time. And that Our Gang series dates from the 1920's.
I never said he looked like my dogs. Only giving an example of early and old photos of the breed. Although now I’m curious to do some comparing to mine, just don’t want to go OT too much. I'll do that in a minute though. Petey also doesn't look like some of the others which are before or after him.

I never said that breed standards don't change, many breed standards have been revised even more then once. I was only asking what you meant by that statement as it could mean a few different things. I didn’t disagree with you on it

Yes I know the dates. Petey was born in late 20s and sired by a well known pit fighting dog called GR CH Tudor's Black Jack 16xw. Which was a dog bred by Mr. Blackwell. Owned by Earl Tudor who is a well known person in APBT history.

This is Black Jack

The 1st dog posted in my other post is GR CH Richmond who was imported and is Black Jacks great great grandsire. He shows a lot of the terrier type with some similarity to the Bull Terrier in the face.

Quote:
Otherwise, this American pit bull site (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm) says this about the breed:Developed from the Bull and Terrier types of yesteryear, the American Pit Bull Terrier comes from an indisputable history of pit-fighting. The breed's tenacity and accompanying strength are unmatched in the canine world.
That isn’t an APBT site, dogbreedinfo just gives info on different breeds.

I’m glad it has some good info on the breed from what you quoted above.

I find the below quote to not make sense, then they are not APBTs they are mutts crossed with larger breeds which happens often (Presa, American Bulldog, Bordeaux). A 110lbs Pit Bull can’t be a Pit Bull if its crossbred..lol It is a mix, Pit and whatever.
That is like saying most the large GSDs are mixed, well then they are not GSD. The King Shepherd is known to have other breeds for size.
Most of the APBT's that Are that large have been crossed with another breeds.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 AM

I did the comparison with 1 dog so far....this was kind of fun/interesting

While they look similar enough I find that a big difference is the old Colby dogs (several of them) had a wider chest and were kind of shorter. I think its important to remember how they are an off shoot of the SBT and put that together with how they looked. Most current day APBTs have been refined after so many years and are more balanced. I'm still trying to find an older pic I have of her where she was standing just like Jerry, makes it easier to compare.

These are the heads cropped into head shots, some similar structure.

This is her compared to Petey.

While they don't look identical I certainly wouldn't say they look nothing alike. They have similarities in both head and body structure.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:56 AM

I couldn't edit my post I was just a few minutes late. I had some other historic pics which I thought would be of interest relation to the first batch I posted.

This is Petey's half brothers sired by Black Jack (these 2 were full brothers).

GR CH Black Jack Jr

Supreme

CH Tudor's Fighting Peter is a son of Colby's Galtie

His dam Colby's Nancy is linebred Colby's Tige picture below looking very similar to Galtie/Jerry body style.

I'm not sure about the breed changing so much over time. I do think it has been refined as many breeds do very well change. Of course I never argued this as history of most breeds show that to happen. The historic photos were used to show what the early APBTs did look like which isn't a SBT/Bullmastiff type dog. The Petey pics don't really prove the change though because there were APBTs in the 20s who didn't look like him as he isn't the standard for the breed or anything. I like the look of the refined Pits a bit better then some of the older ones, while I don't think they were totally ugly the body is just kind of barrel like on some of them. The AST has also went through a dramatic change over the years.

Some APBTs look closer to their ancestors then others. Today there are APBTs which look different. Which just ads more confusion on what a Pit Bull looks like. There are many APBTs that don't look like one another. There are APBTs that don't look like my dogs. Some that don't look like their ancestors. You can see 5 different looking APBTs, different sizes, heads and builds.

Granted many "pit bulls" are mixed and people still want the Pit image so they call them that. In other cases they have been bred away from the standard to someone's personal ideal and not what best represents the breed. Others are just bred just to make cute pups so their owner can enjoy it even though they don't look like a standard APBT. Those people don't think they are hurting the breed because they are breeding pets or breeding what they want and let you know to keep your mouth shut. I'll never agree with breeding off standard Pits that don't look/act correct but I guess there isn't much I can do about it. They threaten the breeds existence and my right to an APBT as a companion. Really makes it seem hard for responsible owners to totally combat BSL. It is so unfair, when they are banned those people who don't truly love the APBT will just move onto another breed.

As far as the looks it also seems to be the case in Labs, not sure about other breeds besides the rare and developing ones. Anyway one Lab breeder was explaining how you could have 5 Labs which look different. Conformation, byb, field, ect. It was a very interesting read amazing how breeds can be so divided.

Last edited by APBT_Samara; 01-02-2008 at 03:09 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 AM

Very thorough post, APBT. You clearly love your dogs a lot.

greenie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs