Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,186 times

Advertisements

I am not referring to electric fence collars or bark collars. I am interested in responses from owners who use e-collars that come with a handheld remote.

Please describe how you use this tool in your training. Do you 'zap' the dog as punishment for disobedience? Do you apply a low level continuous zap to put pressure on the dog and then remove the pressure once the dog complies? How did you determine which level of shock to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
I do not use the collars but, hubby does.

It depends what the dog does.

If they are not coming when called he would start out with little zaps.

I know if they chase deer he will lay them right out.

BTW....they learn if the shock collar is on or , not....they know the difference between a GPS collar and a shock collar.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I am not referring to electric fence collars or bark collars. I am interested in responses from owners who use e-collars that come with a handheld remote.

Please describe how you use this tool in your training. Do you 'zap' the dog as punishment for disobedience? Do you apply a low level continuous zap to put pressure on the dog and then remove the pressure once the dog complies? How did you determine which level of shock to use?
NO, you have to be training the dog with commands - so we assume the dog already KNOWS what you want but is not in the groove of being reliable...you press once then wait then press again if you don't get a reaction . The collar is set on the lowest vibration and you raise just to where they notice it. Yes there's also a button for continuous.

You give a quarter second signal (a setting). You can do it like:

"Come"...[nothing?]...."beep" "Come:wait a sec then.."beep" "beep" "Come" ...wait and if he's coming you STOP and praise. All positive. It's the same concept as a tense leash means tension but a loose leash means yay I'm doing the right thing. It's an INVISIBLE collar so to speak.

You would have already trained "come' on the long rope. YOu can still use the long rope with the signal.

THIS IS WHY WE CANNOT REWARD ANXIETY WITH PETTING LOL. But I digress.

For negative like growling over food, I saw Cesar Millan use it on a Lab who already owned one for field work. He was a professional hunter retreiver and competition dog but was getting neurotic over his food and entering his large pen with the food.

He didn't have any problem with the dog without it but the owner did. So she beeped him when he growled (still holding the food)...then when he stopped she held the food down a little and if he started again she beeped and raised the food back up (never AWAY sideways) ..then over again,,,. He finally got the point. Beep means I get food when I stop what I'm doing.

I'll try and find the video.

It's very precise, and need instructions from professionals watch these Dogtra videos:

Training Videos

Step by Step PDF:

PAT NOLAN METHOD: BASIC OBEDIENCE

It's also important to place it correctly on the dog in the right spot, and tight enough to not chafe his neck when running around the field with the two little pointy things there...etc.

And NO I don't think most people would do all the work necessary to use one properly and humanely or they wouldn't need it so much for average things. And no I don't think particular nervous dogs are good candidates. This does NOT include excited exuberant dogs, though who simply need a "signal" they get so they know it's time to "wait" (sort of) and they'll get what they want. IE to visit a dog across the street but are too wild to allow it. Especially for an owner without skills on a powerful dog of any size - I've seen it work great.

A tool like anything else. But one that needs alot of care.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-25-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do not use the collars but, hubby does.

BTW....they learn if the shock collar is on or , not....they know the difference between a GPS collar and a shock collar.
Like my client's powerful Shar Pei puppy 9 mos old outsmarted her every time.

He's steal the hand held transmitter before she could pick it up and run outside and dump it in the woods LOLOL.

And another dog walk client I had was abused with one so I'd have to throw it on the ground so she could see it was "safe" before she'd walk on the leash off the property. I thought the lady was kidding but no.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
What a sickening way to "train" an animal. How lazy can you get.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What a sickening way to "train" an animal. How lazy can you get.
In our case it could save the dog's life.

When they are hunting bear.......they will chase what moves until they learn.

Some people shoot dogs chasing deer.

The dogs get miles ahead of the hunter (Rip has been as far as 26 miles)

They have to know what to do.......independently.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,789 times
The only way an E Collar is effective if is the dog knows what is expected of it. In other words the dog is good on lead and then a short ways off off lead. If the dog is doing all asked in these distances then and then decides to test you, and you are positively certain he knows what he should have done.... then, and only then should a collar be used.

For the vast majority of dogs who never leave their yard, or are never off leash or are never expected to respond when a pretty decent distance from you... an E collar should never ever be a go to device!!!

It is a very effective tool if, and only if, you understand how to use it, when to use it, and when not to use it. Strap one on a dog who doesn't know what you want, or you don't know what you want... DISASTER IN THE MAKING!

This is a training tool best left in the hands of those who understand it's goods and it's bad's. There are times when you need a continuous zap and times when you need a pulse... but you have to know when and why.. and know how to back out of it when you choose wrong!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,654 times
Seems like an efficient tool for dog abusers. You have to know with these tools being readily available, then the dog fighters will use them to keep pits In Line, or those that enjoy torturing and abusing animals are going to use it. They shouldn't be used for any reason and shouldn't be available to anyone.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Seems like an efficient tool for dog abusers. You have to know with these tools being readily available, then the dog fighters will use them to keep pits In Line, or those that enjoy torturing and abusing animals are going to use it. They shouldn't be used for any reason and shouldn't be available to anyone.
They are illegal in Wales, where if you are caught using one you can face 6 months in jail. The rest of the U.K. is considering a ban. BBC News - Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Naw.....the dog fighters use a baseball bat for that.

Do you believe if the shock collars were off the market no dogs would ever be abused????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs