Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:48 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times

Advertisements

Any dog who killed my cat would be put down immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
We had an American Bulldog that suddenly turned on our cats. Shortly after she started having seizures and they eventually were so bad we had to have her put to sleep. In the meantime she was muzzled, (basket muzzle) and supervised at all times or in her crate if the cats were around. Luckily the layout of our house made it easy to keep them separated most of the time. Before the seizures started we took her to an animal behaviourist at a University and they wanted us to film an attack and the lead up to it! Right... a powerful 85lb dog being filmed attacking a 12lb cat!! One chomp in the right place with those jaws and it would have been all over in 2 seconds flat, plus these attacks were out of the blue, no warning. We didn't go back. As others have said, a visit to the vet asap, something is going on to cause this change.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:04 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,128 times
Dogs chase cats. It's normal. Why everyone acts so surprised when it happens is beyond me, but try and keep in mind that dogs can't rationalize like we can. They are animals and behave as such.

Dogs may view cats and other small animals (squirrels, chipmunks, skunks etc) as prey. Dogs may be fine with SOME cats and yet view others as prey.

Dogs may live fine with cats, birds, other dogs, rabbits etc etc etc until the day they don't. Dogs change as they age. Dogs have "bad days" too, and can develop illnesses and ailments that reduce their tolerance levels.

1. Get the boxer to the vet ASAP.

2. Don't leave dogs and cats alone together. Always give the smaller animal the means to escape the dog. For instance, we limit our dog to our front room and kitchen with gates to the stairs and living room when we aren't home. The cats tend to live upstairs during the day so this helps keep them separated. It's not perfect, but it helps.

3. Keep the dogs separated on a crate and rotate schedule and do not leave them unsupervised together in the future.

Dog aggression and a high prey drive are manageable.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:20 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Are all of your dogs fixed? We had a Westie and a Cairn Terrier that lived together and got along for several years. For some unknown reason they began fighting. The fighting got to a point where it was everyday. One time the Cairn started a fight with the Westie an d the Westie tore her open. We had to get the Cairn to the vet and get stitches. We tried to keep them apart for awhile and then put them back together and that didn't work at all. We ended up finding a home for the Cairn.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Boxers are at high risk for cancer. This also could be idiopathic aggression. A freind of mine had a Boxer that did the same thing. She ended up euthanizing it for the safety of the other animals and people. You really need to talk to your vet about this.

Rage Syndrome in Dogs - Whole Dog Journal Article

Old 02-15-2014, 10:07 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,238,432 times
If you haven't already you should take the dog to the vet. Re-homing is a very bad idea for the dog and anyone who would adopt him. A personality and behavior change is an indication of something wrong medically, playing a guessing game is a bad idea all around and is a disservice to the dog and dangerous to everyone concerned.

It's understandable that because you love your dog you are hesitant to make a decision and that's the reason you need expert and unbiased advise. The dog may be having petit mal seizures or a brain tumor, or a host of other medical issues that it can't tell you about that is driving its behavior. Killing another previously known animal is a huge danger signal, aggression to other family pets are also huge danger signals. Please for everyone's sake take it to the vet as soon as you can.

I know from person experience how difficult it is to euthanize a pet, I had to make that decision on the spot in November. Our chocolate lab was ailing and although I'm err on the side of caution with dogs I didn't see it coming that day. I knew it was on the horizon but was shocked when the vet said 'today.' It's never easy or pleasant but it is often the last kindness we can offer our beloved fur friends. And in this case you must consider your other pets as well as the humans in your home.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:46 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Foxy & Orion are right, do NOT re-home. You know he's killed, and you'd be putting some other creature or human in danger. Even if you told the new owners, they may make a mistake or take in a new pet not thinking it could happen again. I admire you folks that keep an animal that killed another of your pets, I couldn't. I agree with the poster that said it'd be over. I'd never be able to look at that dog without seeing my beloved cat.

I feel for the dog if he's sick, but could never forget what he did.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Bree, if it were strictly behavioral, I'd have a hard time too. But a dog you've had for 8 years as a pup, who never showed aggression before, almost certainly has something physical wrong that they can't control. If it's something that the vet can't help, then putting the dog out of its private hell would be the only kind thing to do. But there is the possibility of a tumor that could be removed or something else. That really wouldn't be a matter of forgiving, because it would be the tumor that did the deed not the poor dog. My heart would be broken in a thousand pieces by the death of my cat, but also by what had happened to my dog.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
Too bad this Op didn't respond to any post!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Too bad this Op didn't respond to any post!
I know and hoping he/she would. There was lots of great advice given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs