Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM

836 posts, read 3,383,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
reaction to bordetella is rare...but rare doesn't mean impossible

and I have checked every KY state legislation for animals and livestock, nowhere can I find anything requiring bordatella, (lots of laws re Rabies however, ky is one of the few starts REQUIRING rabies shots for Cats and ferrets)
again it may be required by them SPECIFICALLY for clients who may at some time board, but I can find nothing in any of the KY legislations in reguards to ANY required vaccine other than rabies.

many more reacently graduated veterinarians are now not even offering bordetella as an option unless specifically requested (ie for boarding/grooming/daycare requirments)

Hmm Thanks.. Guess they told us that so we would get the shot. I thought it was crazy guess I was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 12:04 PM

168 posts, read 370,203 times
Our American Bulldog is epileptic. He started having seizures just after he turned 2 years old. I can still remember his very first one, as it scared all of us. My kids were down in the living room with him, while my husband and I were watching TV upstairs. The kids came running up the stairs, screaming that he was dying. He has the full on grand mal seizures. He just all of a sudden tenses up, falls over, eyes rolled back in his head while his legs are running like crazy, foaming at the mouth and peeing all over the place. It lasts for a few minutes, then he would come out of it and just be really confused and anxious for about an hour or so after. This happened every 2 weeks for about 2 1/2 years. No medications, and we tried different foods, even raw, with no change.

When he was about 4 1/2, he started having clusters. Within about 5 minutes of him standing up from his first seizure, he'd be pacing around and then all of a sudden, another grand mal seizure. When he started having 3 in a row every two weeks, that's when we chose to put him on the phenobarbital. He has been on that for over a year now, and while he still has seizures (and still clusters) it's every couple of months instead of every couple of weeks. The bad thing is, now his liver enzymes are elevated due to the phenobarbital. He has to go back in a couple of months to test again, and we might end up having to put him on more meds to fix his liver... We are considering just taking him off the meds and letting nature takes it's course with him. :-( It's sad, but I can't see being on all these different meds with different side affects that need another medication to correct the side affects...I hate it.

Since the meds, his seizures have recently changed to the first grand mal seizure, then he has a standing seizure that is followed by him charging at anything in his path and almost knocking things over on himself. It's hard to hold back a 105lb dog that isn't really conscious to what's going on around him...one of these days I'm not going to be able to hold him well enough and he's going to knock himself out!

Good luck to you with your dog, and hopefully it was just a one time thing and your dog will be fine.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
carrscandles hes a beauty, and sometimes the best course IS to let nature have her way, we do what we can to make them confortable but eventually 1 thing leads to something even worse and it just excalates.
not a position I envy at all.

and yes I KNOW saying "keep calm" is a lot easier than doing it...
Lol, im lucky in away im the one having the seizure so I don't have to watch it, but ive seen a godo few myself and it is entirely horrifying and frightening to watch, btu at least now you know what to look for, what to expect within reason. hopefully youll never have to go through it again though.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 PM

Awwww carrscandles he is a very pretty boy!.. Sorry you have been going through this for so long..

We decided that IF she has anymore seizures we will not be putting her on the seizure meds..maybe something to help keep her comfy/calm.... Unless they are like a once a month occurrence then we can think about it. I am pretty sure if the dr wouldn't of sedated her she would have continued having them. We duno when they started that morning because we had to take our daughter to get an mri on her knee she hurt it in sports..probably gone for an hour and after we got home I heard her growling of course having 5 dogs I didn't know it was her til I went to see and that's when I seen she was slobbering like crazy she started trying to get up and fell over stiffened up her eyes were weird and I freaked out and yelled for my husband.. she couldn't even walk we had to pick her up which was hard to do when her legs were stiff... she weighs 130lbs...but we managed. Lets just say I was exhausted by the time we got her to the vet. But for now she acts like nothing ever happened to her.. she is a happy go lucky girl.. I guess if it doesn't happen again it could have been the meds mixed with her anxiety and if that's the case we wont be boarding her or them again!.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 PM

I'm glad she hasn't had them again. Our dog just had another tonight. I knew it was coming because he's been really needy and whiny the past couple of days. I just spent the last hour pacing around with him to make sure he was okay. He started to shake again a couple of times, but then walked himself right out of it. Our middle daughter (11) sleeps down with the dogs, so he isn't alone down there, just in case.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrscandles View Post
I'm glad she hasn't had them again. Our dog just had another tonight. I knew it was coming because he's been really needy and whiny the past couple of days. I just spent the last hour pacing around with him to make sure he was okay. He started to shake again a couple of times, but then walked himself right out of it. Our middle daughter (11) sleeps down with the dogs, so he isn't alone down there, just in case.
Awww poor baby... Do they know what caused him to become epileptic?

I guess today or over the weekend we'll find out if Mia will have more, this is the last day of her Valiums. Just a wait and see game now.. hoping for the good outcome.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 AM

No idea. The vet did woodwork and urine samples, but nothing showed up. We could have brain scans done, but that costs thousands that we don't have, so...who knows.

Hopefully your girl doesn't get any more once she's off the valium!

Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrscandles View Post
No idea. The vet did woodwork and urine samples, but nothing showed up. We could have brain scans done, but that costs thousands that we don't have, so...who knows.

Hopefully your girl doesn't get any more once she's off the valium!

Yea that's what they recommended us to do is have an MRI, that's way too much money. Now If we only had her and not 4 other dogs we could afford to do it, but I don't see any need in putting her through all that stress.. Its sad it cost more to take your animal to the Vet than it does a human..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 PM

Yep, I feel the same. If it was for the fact that he's not our only animal, and we have 3 kids to take care of, then maybe we would. But I'm not spending a couple thousand on him when we might need it for an emergency with the kids! Last winter our oldest broke her ankle while roller skating at school, and even after insurance, we still owed over $1,000. I love my dogs, but my kids come first.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:14 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Seizures seem to be more and more common in dogs. My Boston Terrier had his first seizure in November 2012 when he was 4 years old. He turned 6 yesterday and had a few seizures last year. The first couple of seizures were not that bad and lasted just two or three minutes. However, the last two seizure episodes were clusters and he had to be taken to the emergency room both times. They gave him some strong drugs to sedate him and they made him loopy for about 24 hours.

He doesn't seem to have seizures that often... but the last two episodes have been so severe that I think I have no choice but to put him on medication. I tried feeding him raw food and even gave him this natural supplement.. nothing has worked so far. He is still so young and I will not fail him.

Does anyone know if a dog has to start out with Phenobarbital? I don't want his liver affected, so is there any way the vet could prescribe Potassium Bromide instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs