Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times

Advertisements

I have two toy poodle mixes and when I take them to the groomer she plucks the hair from inside their ears. I know the hairs get removed because of bacteria and to avoid inner ear infections.

I often clip them myself too, but hesitate at plucking because I don't know how to do it without hurting them.

My question? Why can't I just trim the hair with a clipper or small scissors in their ears (VERY carefully I know). Is it because of safety issues why a groomer plucks rather than trims, or is there another reason why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,679,256 times
My concern would be that cutting, even carefully could leave bits of hair in the ear.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:08 AM

107 posts, read 152,256 times
I admit it...I have never plucked or had someone else pluck my little poodle mix's ears. She is 15+ years old now and she has never had any ear problems. I do keep her trimmed, though.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM

621 posts, read 1,423,070 times
Using scissors in an ear canal isn't an easy thing to do. First off, most dogs have a difficult time staying still when messing around in that area, and all you need is one little move- oops! Get out the blood stop.

The idea is to get the hair out so air can get into the canal and keep it dry. Moisture in the ear is a great place for bacteria.

You can ask your groomer not to pull the hair. Does it hurt when being pulled? Not if the groomer is doing it correctly and gently. We use a medicated powder to help dry the hair and make it easier to remove. We pull a couple of hairs at a time, not a big wad. But some dogs absolutely hate it. One of my big guys has some hair that grows in his ear canals and one would think I was cutting his throat when I try to pull it out. Big sissy!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM

455 posts, read 979,988 times
With my Poodle, it appeared that after the first few pluckings, like our eyebrows, much less hair came back. After the first year or so, I didn't have to do it at all (I groomed her myself). My Vet actually recommended it herself and showed me how to do it with a hemostat. It did make her flinch but it wasn't that bad and DID aid a great deal in keeping her ears clean and infection free.

Scissors? Absolutely NOT! You've seen how they shake their head when you mess with their ears...you're asking for trouble. The only other alternative may be one of those little trimmers guys use on nose and ear hair...it might be small enough to get in there but good luck sticking a buzzing trimmer in their ears!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Thanks for your answers.

So trimming them with a small electric shaver has the same effect as plucking? (to keep the ears dry and keep the bacteria down) Their hair is so long right now in their ears, that I'd be able to grasp it and not have tiny hairs falling down inside the ear canal.

BTW, I have trimmed them with small scissors, but not down into the ear canal because of safety. Just on the exposed upper part, not down towards the ear canal.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
I don't think it hurts my Maltese and Bichon. I've always just pulled quickly and frequently. I know they would not tolerate an electric buzzing in their ears.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM

107 posts, read 152,256 times
I only trim the outer area of the ear with blunt, curved scissors (NOT with the tip pointed down the ear canal)...she holds still, probably because I have been doing it so long and she is used to it.

Other than that, I just make sure not to get water in her ears and keep her on a healthy diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs