Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times

Advertisements

I've had collie, cockers and brittany. Sad these are out of favor cause they all are wonderful dogs.

Collies, Scotties and Other Out-of-Fashion Dogs This Vet Misses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 03:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
I don't understand the pitt and bulldog attraction over these great breeds

Old 05-17-2014, 03:47 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Collies lost footing in my area cause farms stopped growing cows & corn but grow Houses instead. Course then Shelties got real popular! Cockers became so inbred & poorly bred they seem to become allergic to everything. So people stopped wanted them cause of the high vet Bills. Springers have Springer rage. Scootties & Irish Setters were never popular in my area.

Pit Bulls/AmStaf are VERY popular in my area there has NEVER been a report of them going after people! My apt complex wont approve them unless they are already trained as Service Dogs.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Pit Bulls/AmStaf are VERY popular in my area there has NEVER been a report of them going after people!
That's not the reason I don't find them desirable. I don't think they are physically attractive. It's that simple.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
I love the look of the bulldog but they seem to have too many physical problems. Don't mean to hurt any body's feelings but the Irish Setters I have known were incredibly DUMB. But come to think of it I don't think I've seen one in 20+ years.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't understand the pitt and bulldog attraction over these great breeds
Hopes, you love and are attracted to these great breeds the same way some love the Pitties and Bulldogs. It's all personal preference.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I love the look of the bulldog but they seem to have too many physical problems. Don't mean to hurt any body's feelings but the Irish Setters I have known were incredibly DUMB. But come to think of it I don't think I've seen one in 20+ years.
They are dumb. The vet who wrote the article says so too. I saw one today at an adoption event. Aside from that, I don't think I've seen one since I was a teenager. My neighbors had two of them, and they truly were the only Irish Setters I've ever seen aside from the ones at the Irish Festival I attended in Pittsburgh 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
Hopes, you love and are attracted to these great breeds the same way some love the Pitties and Bulldogs. It's all personal preference.
I know. I'm just saying I don't understand the mass attraction that's making them one of the most popular breeds. I suspect that's partly due to the over prevalence of them in shelters. There are very limited breed options in shelters today.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know. I'm just saying I don't understand the mass attraction that's making them one of the most popular breeds. I suspect that's partly due to the over prevalence of them in shelters. There are very limited breed options in shelters today.
My local shelter is loaded with pits and pitX. They seem to be very popular in poor areas where young men keep them as some sort of machismo status symbol. That also means they don't neuter their dogs...

My homeowners insurance policy required I submit pictures of my dogs and vet paperwork. If any were pitties they would have dropped us like a hot potato.

A few friends do dog rescue bringing southern and western dogs into NY. Far fewer dogs coming from those regions are pits.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've had collie, cockers and brittany. Sad these are out of favor cause they all are wonderful dogs.

Collies, Scotties and Other Out-of-Fashion Dogs This Vet Misses
I believe it might have something to do with grooming and lifestyles. Those are all beautiful dogs, but need a lot of grooming compared to a short haired dog like a lab.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,225,680 times
OhBeeHave, who is your homeowner's insurance with?

I understand that there are lots of good pitties out there. But there are too many pitties out there with bad owners. When the media reports dog attacks in the Hampton Roads area of VA, it almost always involves a pitbull. Often it involves at least one of the dogs being shot by law enforcement.

In my area, if you go to a government-run shelter looking to adopt a dog. there are LOTS of pitties. I do not believe that they are the preferred breed which is why so many of them sit in the shelter and likely wind up euthanized. Purebreds get pulled by breed rescues. Other rescue groups pull the dogs they deem adoptable. What's left are pitbull-looking dogs and hounds.

There are plenty of breeds that have never been popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs