Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times

Advertisements

Y'all, we can't let this thread turn into a breed ban debate - the OP was about dogs that aren't as popular anymore - let's stay on track! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,252,850 times
Smile Just got a collie!!!!!!!!!

We rescued this guy - he's 5 months old, male, awesome, happy guy!

He loves our 2 Shelties and that's his new pack!!

We also take all 3 to a groomer every week so no smelly stuff. Plus our new guy is a smooth collie but his fur is growing. Have no idea how long it will get. He's gorgeous and yes, I'll have to post a pic.

It made me remember how much I love the breed. When we walk him, people seem so happy to see him and he wags and wags his tail.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:40 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,461,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't understand the pitt and bulldog attraction over these great breeds
I absolutely agree.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:33 PM

246 posts, read 279,183 times
Our last five dogs have been collies. They are a lot of work but people always comment on how beautiful they are, ask what they are, or call them Lassie..love my collies

Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Collies lost footing in my area cause farms stopped growing cows & corn but grow Houses instead. Course then Shelties got real popular! Cockers became so inbred & poorly bred they seem to become allergic to everything. So people stopped wanted them cause of the high vet Bills. Springers have Springer rage. Scootties & Irish Setters were never popular in my area.

Pit Bulls/AmStaf are VERY popular in my area there has NEVER been a report of them going after people! My apt complex wont approve them unless they are already trained as Service Dogs.

Many English Springers never have Springer Rage. Welsh Springers aren't known for getting Springer Rage at all.

I would think that the popularity of Irish Setters might have declined because more families have both parents working, or more pet owners live in urban/semi-urban areas; and Irish Setters are very high-energy, sensitive dogs who need a lot of off-leash activity. They're a lovely breed for the right person.

As for Cockers, I have a lovely, English Cocker Spaniel. From what I've read, English Cockers might be a bit more healthy than American Cockers; perhaps because English Cockers have always been less popular (at least in the U.S.; in the rest of the world, English Cockers are called Cocker Spaniels).

Old 10-04-2014, 09:12 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe it might have something to do with grooming and lifestyles. Those are all beautiful dogs, but need a lot of grooming compared to a short haired dog like a lab.
Labs shed a crap-ton, too.

It isn't that bad. Brush once a week. Wash when dirty. *shrug* has worked with all my collies.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Two year old article, things could have changed, like the 110+ collies rescued in Houston recently...

The Vet practices in North Idaho, maybe there's a shortage up there.

My collies are in that group picture (hard to get them all to pose). We've had collies for 12+ years, all were rescues (that means
unwanted dogs), rescued five.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-06-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 11:26 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My local shelter is loaded with pits and pitX. They seem to be very popular in poor areas where young men keep them as some sort of machismo status symbol. That also means they don't neuter their dogs...

My homeowners insurance policy required I submit pictures of my dogs and vet paperwork. If any were pitties they would have dropped us like a hot potato.

A few friends do dog rescue bringing southern and western dogs into NY. Far fewer dogs coming from those regions are pits.

I noticed since moving to SC that Craigs List here is swarming with adult and litters of Pit Bulls. There is a common theme of hood rats posting litters of them for sale and even giving them away because there are simply not enough homes for them...yet, they just keep on breeding them like bunnies. Many of the adds say they must be gone by today, free, 100 bucks, or "no questions asked", in other words, we don't care if you fight them, just give me some cash and take it off my hands asap. It is so bad, that they can literally pick up these dogs off CL, produce purebred litter after litter, and continually dump the purebred puppies or give them away. I don't even want to know how many of them wind up killed or drowned in a river when these idiots find out that puppies require care and poop all over - half of them are posted outside in the dirt, piles of newborns even.

CL is like a giant dumping and classified add site for the scum of the earth to pimp their Pits around here. You would think a person with 1/2 a brain cell would see that the region is flooded with free and unwanted Pits and decide that perhaps pumping out more litters is not a good idea. These people live in a world without consequence.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:26 PM

165 posts, read 189,827 times
They are beautiful dogs!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
I think part of the reason that Collies went out of popularity is that the coats on the dogs became very thick and prolific compared to the early Collies. Tons of shedding and thick hair that requires pro grooming if the owner is not motivated to do serious scheduled brushing.

Cockers were a high energy breed from early times, and that translated into some really whacky dogs when combined with bad breeding. Far too many Cockers these days deal with chronic yeast infections and ear issues, and owners simply give up on getting another one and having to face all those issues again with a new dog, once the old one passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs