Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 AM

472 posts, read 1,099,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We just moved into a new house from a loft in downtown Dallas. We now have two acres and a house for our three fur babies. They stayed with my parents until we got the house ready so it wouldn't stress them out as much with seeing new furniture and such being delivered. We have two labs and a great dane by the way. They adapt well. Very laid back. They're used to my parents yard and pool. Now, my 11 year old lab and 4 year old great dane are just fine. Its my baby, my 6 year old lab that still seems stressed an mopey which is unlike him. He usually loves having wide open space to run and play. At my parents house, I can never get him inside but now I have to force him to go outside. I've gone out and thrown the ball and he seems fine with that. I've taken them on walks through the neighborhood to get acquainted. He's met all of the neighbors dogs. I've kept all of their dog beds, toys, pillows, blankets and such out as I normally would. I've tried to keep things as normal for them as possible but does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help him adjust or get comfortable? We go about our normal routine as I don't want him to get used to anything different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Hi all,

We just moved into a new house from a loft in downtown Dallas. We now have two acres and a house for our three fur babies. They stayed with my parents until we got the house ready so it wouldn't stress them out as much with seeing new furniture and such being delivered. We have two labs and a great dane by the way. They adapt well. Very laid back. They're used to my parents yard and pool. Now, my 11 year old lab and 4 year old great dane are just fine. Its my baby, my 6 year old lab that still seems stressed an mopey which is unlike him. He usually loves having wide open space to run and play. At my parents house, I can never get him inside but now I have to force him to go outside. I've gone out and thrown the ball and he seems fine with that. I've taken them on walks through the neighborhood to get acquainted. He's met all of the neighbors dogs. I've kept all of their dog beds, toys, pillows, blankets and such out as I normally would. I've tried to keep things as normal for them as possible but does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help him adjust or get comfortable? We go about our normal routine as I don't want him to get used to anything different.
I have two Great Danes myself They are awesome. It sounds like your lab may be stressed out because of a combination of factors:
A. staying away from you
B. the move to a new place

Moving away is very stressful on humans. Imagine how it is on dogs. I'm a little confused. Are your dogs still at your parents' house? Staying away from you, the main source of stability in their lives, makes it that much harder on them. If he is still at your parents', he probably feels abandoned, even though you visit. He should perk up once he reunites with you.

If your dogs are at your new house with you, it is probably just a transitional thing due to staying at your parents' home for awhile and the move to a strange house combined. I suggest you just give it time for your lab and be sure you don't make any more changes to the routine from what he had before. Also, spend as much time as you can with your lab, more than usual, so he feel secure that you won't go away again. The other companion dogs can help as well. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,447,356 times
One thought, has he been back to your parents' house at all since you moved? Have you seen him acting like his old self since then? If not, he could have coincidentally gotten sick right at the time that you moved the dogs into your new house. I've been late catching an illness in a dog before, because the symptoms were vague and I had reason to think he was stressed. I hope it's just that he's feeling off kilter though. I don't have any particular suggestions for that. I think it will just take time. Congratulations on your new house. It sounds like your dogs hit the jackpot with the new yard!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM

472 posts, read 1,099,481 times
He's back with us now. He loves being at my parents house and my parents are usually home throughout the day. We brought him home on Saturday. He's eating and drinking water regularly and will play. I agree with you, I think it's growing pains and getting acclimated to a new space. I've made sure to give him more attention than usual as you mentioned.

Aren't Great Danes the best? I grew up with them, and I've had them ever since.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,384,902 times
This won't give you an answer but perhaps it will give you a chuckle if you've never seen it before:

Hyperbole and a Half: Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving

I hope that you pup will soon be feeling right at home and lovin' it.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 PM

7,388 posts, read 12,699,821 times
When we moved to a bigger place, back in the days of First Dog (1/2 lab), she was so upset over "losing her home" that every morning she'd sit by the garage door, asking to be taken back to our old house....That lasted about a month or more. Then she gave up and started adjusting. She was 4 years old at the time. Such tenacity! So just give him some time. He should be fine after a while, especially if the other dogs are adjusting.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 AM

729 posts, read 1,507,489 times
He's a lab. You're parents have a pool. He misses his pool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs