Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,637 times

Advertisements

Hi My bichon friese of 5 years has always been friendly but lately he's become aggressive towards my pomapoo of a year old! its usually a unprovoked attacked. My pomapoo wets himself with fear! I try and keep them apart at home but I fear that if it carry's on I may have to get rid of the bichon which I don't want to do but feel I haven't a choice . I welcome any ideas as what to do.
The Bichon usually starts to stare at the pomapoo, followed by a growling noise then he just goes for him and attacks!

Last edited by mariellanotarangelo; 08-15-2014 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention about the attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,586 times
The minute you see the Bichon stare, correct him!!!! Let him know you won't accept that behavior. You really have to watch for it, and be consistent.

Distract him when he gets like that, make a noise, drop something on the floor- but stop it before it starts

Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
In addition to the advice above, take him to the vet and get him checked for any thyroid or other health problems.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Keep them separated unless you're present and always have a squirt bottle at the ready - they should be throughout your house. Squirt the bichon as soon as it displays inappropriate "staring" behavior.

In any case, I believe your greater obligation is to the bichon. You've got a problem dog and you want to push the responsibility off onto someone else but keep the easier-to-deal with dog. That's not cool. Your bichon just might be better as an only dog. Your pomapoo is younger and more submissive and would be more easily rehomed.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,201,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Keep them separated unless you're present and always have a squirt bottle at the ready - they should be throughout your house. Squirt the bichon as soon as it displays inappropriate "staring" behavior.

In any case, I believe your greater obligation is to the bichon. You've got a problem dog and you want to push the responsibility off onto someone else but keep the easier-to-deal with dog. That's not cool. Your bichon just might be better as an only dog. Your pomapoo is younger and more submissive and would be more easily rehomed.

Thank you. I thought the same thing but couldn't figure out how to say it.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,755,535 times
Are they both neutered? If not that may help to an extent. The Pom is becoming an adult and the Bichon feels the need to put him in his place.

Who is getting most of the attention? The Bichon was there first. He should be petted first, picked up first, fed first, leashed first when going for a walk, etc. His behavior could be jealousy.

Sometimes when people get a new puppy all the attention goes to the new dog and the first dog feels left out. You seem to favor to the Pom over the Bichon- you want to get rid of the Bichon- why wouldn't you place the second dog and keep the first ? Your Bichon is picking up on the favoritism.

As Dualie suggested, correct the Bichon but do try to get to the root of the behavior. Never keep these two loose in the house without human supervision. Keep them crated or separated by baby gates when no one is home.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:19 AM

Default aggressive Bichon

Thanks everyone!
I have done all the above for the past week. Its good to know that I've been doing the right thing so far.

I suppose we've got to be consistant all the time will tell!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Default aggressive Bichon

Hi everyone
My Bichon barks really badly when a visitor leaves the house to the point of almost wanting to bite!
whats that all about? any suggestions are welcome thanks.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
generally when a dog is more "aggressive" towards a guest leaving (ie their back turned) that's a lack of confidence issue NOT an aggression issue...

my suggestion, lots of positive reinforcement and confidence building excersizes.
look up Nikki Iveys Dog Speak, she works a lot with teaching dogs how to THINK, how to work things out so they build confidence and don't feel a need to react in that way.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:27 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Katie does that UNLESS the person leaving makes a point to say good-bye directly to her! Shes 9 yrs old Never bit anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs