Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,591,963 times

Advertisements

Anyone here belong to a Banfield Wellness Plan?

My mom, who is elderly and not very aware, signed up for this wellness plan and is receiving notice from the company because she is not making payments. She denies signing up for the plan and claims to not have any documentation proving she signed up.

What I am looking for in an answer is the enrollment process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 AM

11,297 posts, read 19,651,056 times
Contact Banfield yourself, say your mother is not cognizant, and you are not going to use or pay for this plan. If they pursue it, you made need legal advice. Banfield is a pain to get out of their clutches once they get your signature. It's a huge scam.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Contact Banfield yourself, say your mother is not cognizant, and you are not going to use or pay for this plan. If they pursue it, you made need legal advice. Banfield is a pain to get out of their clutches once they get your signature. It's a huge scam.
Herein lies the problem and why I am seeking info on the enrollment process. From what I can gather she has already used the service hence, the reason they are seeking payment. Problem being I don't know how she was enrolled and the website didn't offer any details of the enrollment process. If the enrollment is legit I've already told her she will have to pay the balance if she cancels the contract. This is stated very clearly on the billing statement and the website. If she was enrolled without consent then it becomes another matter. I don't think they will let her off the hook because of her age.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:09 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,175,578 times
I feel so bad for you. Have had several friends who fell for their "plan," only to discover it didn't include a whole lot and they were out as much money as if they'd gone to another vet with no "plan." Yup, it's a scam, for sure.

I took my dogs there to get groomed when they first opened. Big mistake. I warned them my male was feisty and had back problems, that it would take 2 people. Had I not screamed when I saw him ready to jump off the table, he would have hurt himself. The "groomers" had both turned their backs. I got my dogs and left.

Be proactive. Don't mess around with the website or the local manager. Write the president of the company and threaten to sue THEM!

Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:59 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,492,064 times
You say she has already used the plan. Perhaps she signed up in person. Why dont you go to the Banfield location closest to your mother and see if they have any paperwork with her signature?

Good luck. I was in the same situation with my mother for years (not Banfield, but many other stores and offers) and it was a nightmare.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
You say she has already used the plan. Perhaps she signed up in person. Why dont you go to the Banfield location closest to your mother and see if they have any paperwork with her signature?

Good luck. I was in the same situation with my mother for years (not Banfield, but many other stores and offers) and it was a nightmare.
I'm not positive she has used the plan, but evidence, namely very small vet charges, suggests she has. Unfortunately that looks like the route that will be taken. She always handled the finances and now I'm wondering how. I think I will visit a location nearby and "inquire" about the plan, then confront the location she uses.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,600,991 times
Contact your state consumer agency and ask for advice. For instance in CA you'd contact the California Dept of Consumer Affairs:

Contact Us - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Another you could try is one of those television consumer advocate programs.

Do you have a copy of a bill? You could write a letter, and use delivery confirmation (I prefer to just use the priority mail with delivery confirmation option instead of certified mail - as the postman simply scans it and you have proof it was delivered without them being able to refuse to sign, etc.).

In the letter say that you dispute ever signing up for their service and to either produce a signed contract or cease to bother you. If it ends up on a credit report, dispute it.

FWIW

Old 10-02-2014, 05:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,600,991 times
This article complaining about this plan, says to be sure you cancel the plan in writing, per their contract, as it auto-renews.

I'd start out by demanding proof that your mom signed up for it, and disputing that she ever did. You might want to include in the letter that IF she did sign up for it, this is notice that she is cancelling it immediately, and it is not to auto-renew under any circumstances. BUT, you still dispute that she ever did sign up for it, and demand proof that she did.

That will cover all bases.

Sounds like a total rip-off.

Ripoff Report | Banfield Pet Hospital Complaint Review Concord, North Carolina: 1069568

Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This article complaining about this plan, says to be sure you cancel the plan in writing, per their contract, as it auto-renews.

I'd start out by demanding proof that your mom signed up for it, and disputing that she ever did. You might want to include in the letter that IF she did sign up for it, this is notice that she is cancelling it immediately, and it is not to auto-renew under any circumstances. BUT, you still dispute that she ever did sign up for it, and demand proof that she did.

That will cover all bases.

Sounds like a total rip-off.

Ripoff Report | Banfield Pet Hospital Complaint Review Concord, North Carolina: 1069568
Great link!
BTW, I live in NC. Ironic huh?
My mom is supposed to call them this week, but I'm going to find out what the sign up process is from a local store (we live in different cities) so I have some ammunition should I need to go visit her location.

Last edited by WFW&P; 10-02-2014 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-03-2014, 11:49 AM

9,893 posts, read 14,179,632 times
Never, ever, ever pay for dog insurance that covers wellness shots and visits. It will always cost you more, because the insurance company will alsways make money on the deal.

Insurance should be for illnesses and accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs