Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 07:57 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,008,634 times

Advertisements

While it is an ancient thread, I can add that the last time I had to put one of ours down, we used the home option. I had never heard of it previously, but somewhere, quite possibly in another thread here, I saw the possibility mentioned. So I asked our vet (at the time, now retired), and he said 'sure thing'. It was much more appropriate, for the dog and the family, doing it at home. I can also see the appropriateness of the doggy-day-care goodbye ceremony. It gives the dog a last bit of comfort, in a familiar environment, with familiar people. And it helps give the humans closure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 03:07 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,041,682 times
Thanks, hiero2.....I know for all future pets of mine, saying goodbye at home will be the first choice.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:23 PM

17,427 posts, read 16,597,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I have two approx. 9 yr. old dogs. The first one (female chocolate lab) became part of our family right from being weaned & was 4 months old when my husband died. The second one (male lab mix) came along about 5 months later via a shelter/rescue. We estimated him to be almost a year old when I adopted him. So it's been the 3 of us for almost 8 yrs. My male has terminal cancer & after surgery 3 weeks ago, we estimate he has 1-3 months left.

Should I bring my female dog with us when it's time to say goodbye? I don't know if my girl will need to see him passed on to know he's gone? Will she sense it anyway without having to go with me? Will it matter either way?

Thank you for your opinions & insight. I searched the threads & didn't find this topic; my apologies if it's been addressed.
My dogs have always been pretty nervous at the vet and I think that if we had brought our other two dogs in when we had to put our Golden down, things would have been less quiet and peaceful for our Golden. We were able to give her special treats and she had our complete and undivided attention.

When we returned home without our Golden our other two dogs rushed to greet us and after some sniffing they both laid down and looked sad for awhile. Dogs know more than we know.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:24 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,041,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
My dogs have always been pretty nervous at the vet and I think that if we had brought our other two dogs in when we had to put our Golden down, things would have been less quiet and peaceful for our Golden. We were able to give her special treats and she had our complete and undivided attention.

When we returned home without our Golden our other two dogs rushed to greet us and after some sniffing they both laid down and looked sad for awhile. Dogs know more than we know.
I was fortunate in that our vet practice was (& still is) chock full of amazing doctors and techs, and all our dogs truly loved it there. The happy vibe of their daycare was a big positive. But Moose collapsed in the snow one frigid day and my friend helped me take him to the vet. We got right in and said goodbye right then and there. Even tho I knew the day was near, I still assumed it would be a gentler decline. I hadn't taken time to make at home arrangements. In fact, I should see if his date of death coincides with the last time I posted back in '14.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:15 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
I had planned to do a home euthanasia for my elderly Great Dane who had advanced mobility issues. But when the time came (last June,) our vet who did the home euthanasia was unavailable. Faced with using a completely new vet or taking her to our usual vet's office and using the relief vet there, we opted for the latter. We took our second Dane with us. I'm not sure the home procedure would have been better for our dog. The result was the same and my old girl did not have vet anxiety.

My other old Dane does though, so I will make sure we do a home euthanasia with her. I will always take our other dogs with us also. I'm not sure if it's the wisest course of action, but it seems to me that it's better than just not seeing their best friend anymore without explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs