Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 02:58 PM

16,275 posts, read 10,401,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I don't think giving coconut oil to a dog that is overweight, is a good idea.
It is high in saturated fat.
My Shepherd is very much like me when it comes to fish in any form.
My entire life, I have had a problem with sea food.
Just the smell of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Like me, my Shepherd doesn't want to be any where near it.
I use to give him coconut oil, but stopped when he started putting on the pounds.
That was when I read the label on the jar of coconut oil.
He liked it, but it is now a no,no.
I tried those fish oil caplets, but as soon as he bit into them, he walked away from his food.

Bob.
Funny you wrote this. I have a double edges sword. My German Shepherd is a bit overweight but she has a dry skin condition that causes her to itch in the winter. I put in a humidifier where they sleep but also added fish oil. She won't eat them in pill form but if you cut the pill and put it over her food she eats it.

Under the recommendation of this board I bought coconut oil She likes it but I wasn't aware that it stores semi-solid and needs to be microwaved to be a liquid But again I was concerned about the added weight from any oil and learned like you that coconut oil is REALLY fattening at a time when she needs to drop a few pounds. So I do it on and off, not every meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 01:52 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Why does the dog need fish oil? If he doesn't want it, find something else that contains the same nutrient that you are trying to provide with the fish oil.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
........ My German Shepherd is a bit overweight but she has a dry skin condition that causes her to itch in the winter........
Dave if the dog doesn't have an allergy to corn, use corn oil. Corn oil is what horsemen use to shine up a coat.

If there is a corn allergy, try flax seed oil, or even crushed flax seed. Flax is also used as a coat shiner by horsemen.

If a dog is overweight and needs fat for their coat health, give them the fat and reduce their other calorie intake. All dogs need fat in their diet. Healthy fat might be better, but they need some sort of fat source to maintain good health.

My dogs get animal fat and have glowing coats. Animal protein is what their system is designed to utilize. But vegetable oils and fish oils are OK, too. Just some sort of fat from any source is better than nothing.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:59 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil is great for dogs.
For everyday health, dementia, arthritis, dihestive, allergies, immune system, and their coat. Plus lots more.
It has to be Unrefined.

Here is a link.
There are many more articles on this.
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...f-coconut-oil/

Old 01-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Dave if the dog doesn't have an allergy to corn, use corn oil. Corn oil is what horsemen use to shine up a coat.

If there is a corn allergy, try flax seed oil, or even crushed flax seed. Flax is also used as a coat shiner by horsemen.

If a dog is overweight and needs fat for their coat health, give them the fat and reduce their other calorie intake. All dogs need fat in their diet. Healthy fat might be better, but they need some sort of fat source to maintain good health.

My dogs get animal fat and have glowing coats. Animal protein is what their system is designed to utilize. But vegetable oils and fish oils are OK, too. Just some sort of fat from any source is better than nothing.

Not sure she has a corn allergy so I may try that. I'm assuming it's less fattening? Her coat is fine, she's a long coat shepherd and has a LOT of coat. The reason for the oil is for her dry skin in the winter. The itching has gotten way better since I added the humidifier and the oil, not sure which is dong the most good. We do feed her a high protein diet, she gets good dog food.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
if your dog is Fat, FAT is not the problem, remove the carbs from your carnivores diet completely and you wont have a fat dog...(the again you probably wont have a dog with itchy/dry skin either LOL!)

Old 01-13-2015, 05:27 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Funny you wrote this. I have a double edges sword. My German Shepherd is a bit overweight but she has a dry skin condition that causes her to itch in the winter. I put in a humidifier where they sleep but also added fish oil. She won't eat them in pill form but if you cut the pill and put it over her food she eats it.

Under the recommendation of this board I bought coconut oil She likes it but I wasn't aware that it stores semi-solid and needs to be microwaved to be a liquid But again I was concerned about the added weight from any oil and learned like you that coconut oil is REALLY fattening at a time when she needs to drop a few pounds. So I do it on and off, not every meal.
.......Dave...........

FWIW, My 9 yr old Brittany (sleeps in utility room at night, then goes outside into his 12x20 fenced dog run about 10 am until 5 pm, then back into house). Being on 14 acres, I let him run and poop 2 to 3 times a day for total of about 45 minutes. He used to get that dry skin condition every winter (we're in western MT) due to the low humidities we have year round.

About a year ago I started giving him one capsule per day (Nature Made Brand, 1200mg Fish oil that contains 360mg Omega-3). He is about 49 pounds/should be about 42 pounds based on his large bone structure. So I graduadly switched him to :"FROMM" Brand, Weight Management Formula (25/15/10), grain free dry kibble.......a Very high quality food from a privately owned company in Wis, that has been in business for well over 60 years. (check 'em out on the internet).

He now has the best "coat" ever, no scratching, holding his weight at about 43 pounds (being fed one 8 oz cup at 6am and a 2nd 8 oz cup at about 4 pm.). Being almost 83 yrs, I order the food over the internet, it's delivered to my door.............cost is about $50 to $55 per 33 pound bag = about $1.66 per day. Never had a dog that is ALWAYS raring-to-go, and as full of life as this one (and I've had Labs and Brittanys for over 55 years).......hunted the hell out of them when I was younger

EDIT:.........I also take one of those Fish Oil Caps every morning................the dog watches me and figures:" if it's good-enough for him---it's good enough for me"!! 'course I'm lucky, this dog WILL EAT ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING!!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:09 AM

279 posts, read 544,351 times
Easy Cheese in a can. Best thing ever to give a dog a pill.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.......Dave...........

FWIW, My 9 yr old Brittany (sleeps in utility room at night, then goes outside into his 12x20 fenced dog run about 10 am until 5 pm, then back into house). Being on 14 acres, I let him run and poop 2 to 3 times a day for total of about 45 minutes. He used to get that dry skin condition every winter (we're in western MT) due to the low humidities we have year round.

About a year ago I started giving him one capsule per day (Nature Made Brand, 1200mg Fish oil that contains 360mg Omega-3). He is about 49 pounds/should be about 42 pounds based on his large bone structure. So I graduadly switched him to :"FROMM" Brand, Weight Management Formula (25/15/10), grain free dry kibble.......a Very high quality food from a privately owned company in Wis, that has been in business for well over 60 years. (check 'em out on the internet).

He now has the best "coat" ever, no scratching, holding his weight at about 43 pounds (being fed one 8 oz cup at 6am and a 2nd 8 oz cup at about 4 pm.). Being almost 83 yrs, I order the food over the internet, it's delivered to my door.............cost is about $50 to $55 per 33 pound bag = about $1.66 per day. Never had a dog that is ALWAYS raring-to-go, and as full of life as this one (and I've had Labs and Brittanys for over 55 years).......hunted the hell out of them when I was younger

EDIT:.........I also take one of those Fish Oil Caps every morning................the dog watches me and figures:" if it's good-enough for him---it's good enough for me"!! 'course I'm lucky, this dog WILL EAT ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING!!
Thanks! Problem of course is my 100 pound Shepherd will eat a lot more than your Brittany. But if you can't afford your dog you should not have your dog right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs