Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM

621 posts, read 1,423,070 times

Advertisements

Had a breeder done what this rescue did...... there would be fireworks!!!!!!!! And rightly so!!!

Lets all get our heads out of the sand and begin to realize not all of the supposed Good Guys are really quite as good as we have been let to believe.

The good Doctor.... he ain't one of the good guys either! As a thinking adult person, he should have simply known better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 01:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 10,434,651 times
I'm sorry but I'm still putting 80% of the blame on the doctor. My first thought was the rescue was initially fine keeping the dog until after the trip, then they got an unexpected new supply of dogs in need and since this dog was already placed they asked the Dr. to take him early rather than turn away a new dog.

As for the dog's behavior it's pretty clear from the letter that this Dr does not know dogs very well. Not understanding why a young dog cooped up in a car all day would be hyper in the hotel was a clue. That could explain his interpretation of the dog's behavior at home. Being food aggressive is not the same thing as being dangerous around a toddler, it's just not. And it's very common for a new dog and the existing dog to have issues at first. I know it happened with us. So I'm not ready to take this Dr's word for all the "problems". And I can see why the rescue could see this as a fit, I'm not ready to totally dismiss that at this point either.

Sure in a perfect world the rescue would have kept the dog longer or found a better home for him. But that is no reason to leave him tied to a poll. That is ridiculous.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The dog couldn't be boarded elsewhere, it had kennel cough. According the doctor, the rescue organization convinced him they needed the space to be able to rescue more dogs from certain death. Of the things he said in that letter, that is one of the parts I absolutely believe happened as he said.

He was wrong, no question. But the rescue organization set this family up for failure. They should have known better and, if their intent was truly to help the dog rather than get themselves feel-goods, they would have focused on getting the dog a successful placement, not just a placement.

Too many rescues focus on the wrong things. We have one around here that will not place dogs in a house without a fence, including refusing to put a 12-pound dog with a stay-at-home retiree I knew who would have happily walked that dog multiple times a day. Instead it is still in its "foster home" because they haven't found a "good home." Bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We've had numerous threads here about "rescues" which are either hoarders cause they never adopt out or rescues with unreasonable requirements. A back yard with fence is absolutely NOT necessary for every dog.

unreasonable expectations drive me BATSHIZZLE CRAZY..... I did not have a fence for Bailey until she was probably 3 - 4 years old..... all was fine..... and actually, having a fenced yard now has allowed me to get a little lazy about getting her and the others out for walks.....

I have approved an 80 y/o woman for a 2 year old adoptee because she has a good backup plan.... and because she is one of those folks who will likely outlive the rest of us.... and I knew that little dog would want for NOTHING and live a life that I can only dream about..... I approved a young woman living in an apartment because she had a good grasp of what would be necessary for a dog living in an apartment..... Five years later, they are doing splendidly.... Basic guidelines are always a good idea, but REALLY, each situation should be reviewed and judged on its individual merits.....

when I am doing a home visit, I am not looking for the perfect home.... they don't exist.... but I am looking for the home that would be the best possible fit for the dog..... I spend as much time talking to and observing the prospective owners as I do checking out the house and yard..... It is AMAZING what you can pick up about people through simple observation..... It is apparent that this rescue did not place this JUST NEUTERED, adolescent dog with an unknown history with the appropriate family.... an 80 lb adolescent dog does not TYPICALLY belong in a house with a toddler.... unless the parents are VERY experienced and knowledgeable....

All that said, the doctor made some serious mistakes, as well.... he is not without blame.... had he taken the dog to a shelter, and explained the circumstances, they likely would have reached out to the rescue..... in spite of what many believe, most shelters do NOT relish putting pets down.....

Old 01-04-2015, 09:31 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
unreasonable expectations drive me BATSHIZZLE CRAZY..... I did not have a fence for Bailey until she was probably 3 - 4 years old..... all was fine..... and actually, having a fenced yard now has allowed me to get a little lazy about getting her and the others out for walks.....

I have approved an 80 y/o woman for a 2 year old adoptee because she has a good backup plan.... and because she is one of those folks who will likely outlive the rest of us.... and I knew that little dog would want for NOTHING and live a life that I can only dream about..... I approved a young woman living in an apartment because she had a good grasp of what would be necessary for a dog living in an apartment..... Five years later, they are doing splendidly.... Basic guidelines are always a good idea, but REALLY, each situation should be reviewed and judged on its individual merits.....

when I am doing a home visit, I am not looking for the perfect home.... they don't exist.... but I am looking for the home that would be the best possible fit for the dog..... I spend as much time talking to and observing the prospective owners as I do checking out the house and yard..... It is AMAZING what you can pick up about people through simple observation..... It is apparent that this rescue did not place this JUST NEUTERED, adolescent dog with an unknown history with the appropriate family.... an 80 lb adolescent dog does not TYPICALLY belong in a house with a toddler.... unless the parents are VERY experienced and knowledgeable....

All that said, the doctor made some serious mistakes, as well.... he is not without blame.... had he taken the dog to a shelter, and explained the circumstances, they likely would have reached out to the rescue..... in spite of what many believe, most shelters do NOT relish putting pets down.....
Thank you.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
Wow. A huge amount of blame goes to the rescue for not vetting this douchewaffle well enough, because there would have been some OBVIOUS red flags. But the idiocy and selfishness of the dog's adoptive owner is mindblowing.

I went with my friend to pick up her newest foster a few years ago. As soon as we got him into the car, he turned into a furious whirlwind, screaming and biting at us. And some of those bites HURT. She took him home to work on him. He settled down almost immediately, and has been my best buddy for 2 years. Dogs must be treated very carefully when they are exposed to new circumstances - especially high-strung breeds like GSDs.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 PM

231 posts, read 236,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Wow. A huge amount of blame goes to the rescue for not vetting this douchewaffle well enough, because there would have been some OBVIOUS red flags. But the idiocy and selfishness of the dog's adoptive owner is mindblowing.

I went with my friend to pick up her newest foster a few years ago. As soon as we got him into the car, he turned into a furious whirlwind, screaming and biting at us. And some of those bites HURT. She took him home to work on him. He settled down almost immediately, and has been my best buddy for 2 years. Dogs must be treated very carefully when they are exposed to new circumstances - especially high-strung breeds like GSDs.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I expect because the IDIOT was a Dr , they made the mistake of thinking he would be a good owner.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:17 PM

259 posts, read 670,776 times
When a rescue outfit wastes its time with vicious dog, it denies a non-vicious dog a chance at a new home.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:27 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
The folks in white coats are not Gods folks and I know most people treat them like that . I hope they take his medical license away from him and he never be allowed to own another animal for the rest of his life . I disliked this guy with his lame arse excuse from the minute I heard this story . Im moving to Columbia so I will be watching this story rather closely. I will be following it .

Old 01-08-2015, 01:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The folks in white coats are not Gods folks and I know most people treat them like that . I hope they take his medical license away from him and he never be allowed to own another animal for the rest of his life . I disliked this guy with his lame arse excuse from the minute I heard this story . Im moving to Columbia so I will be watching this story rather closely. I will be following it .
WTH does abandoning a dog have to do with taking his medical license away???That is a HUGE stretch. I know from experience it takes a really egregious act of maliciousness and medical ineptitude for a doctor to have his/her license revoked and of course we all know doctors take care of each other and doctors make up the medical boards. yes he should be shamed and he probably has been but taking away his livelihood is extreme and not gonna happen.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
WTH does abandoning a dog have to do with taking his medical license away???That is a HUGE stretch. I know from experience it takes a really egregious act of maliciousness and medical ineptitude for a doctor to have his/her license revoked and of course we all know doctors take care of each other and doctors make up the medical boards. yes he should be shamed and he probably has been but taking away his livelihood is extreme and not gonna happen.

Kudzu it goes to show his character and I certainly would never go to a dr when and if I ever found that out . Im sorry I seemed to upset you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs