Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My local shelter told me dog fighters prefer docile pit/pit mixes as their bait dogs as it gets them over their natural healthy respect for what is physically their peer.

Let's be real here, while it is sickening when it happens, it is also probably rare. The more realistic concern is that the person won't either be able or willing to pay for out-of-the-ordinary vet care.

Exactly. Did you look at the dogs in the link Mangokiwi? Did they look a little pit bull-ish? Although they were very young, but they use adult pit bulls as bait dogs too. I have worked with pit bulls and pit mixes who were rescued from a dog fighting ring, and most of them live in families with other dogs now, both former bait dogs and former fighters. It's remarkable, but it shows how resilient and forgiving dogs can be. And fighting dogs make up only a very small percentage of pit bulls. Besides training dogs to fight, they give them drugs to amp them up and make them "angry". These pit bulls were in all honesty some of the most wonderful dogs I've ever known, and I've known many in my years at the shelter, believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:22 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,256,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
How often does this happen. Are people saying that ANY listing on Craig's list for free pups is going to mean the pups will end up as fodder for fighting dogs? NO!
Of course not. But those who do use them as bait dogs are very adept at masquerading as a caring potential dog owner.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
no, but it does provide yet another reason to ban fighting dogs like pit bulls. because every once in a while you hear in the news that regular dogs were rescued from some back yard dog breeder who was breeding and fighting pit bulls, and was using random dogs as bait dogs.
Let's rather ban and police the activity rather than the tools used in the activity. Just because a chain saw or a car can inflict serious/fatal damage when used criminally doesn't mean we should ban them.

Pits are generally very forgiving and great family dogs. The problem arises when Pits bite because their Mastiff jaw strength/head structure does much more damage than other head types. That is a valid concern for potential owners and should be analyzed along with the usual breed trait pros/cons considerations but it is not a reason to ban them. Any dog can bite. A Pit bite is much more serious.

Pits trained as fighting dogs are often actually very good with people since their handlers don't wanna get bitten. These handlers intentionally breed dogs with dog-dog aggression but avoid breeding dogs with dog-human aggression.

If Pits were successfully and universally banned...which would never actually result in eliminating the breed since criminals would continue to breed them; criminals don't follow laws...dog fighting folks would simply choose another similar breed for their criminal activity. And if that breed was banned they'd choose another. And so on.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:46 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
The more realistic concern is that the person won't either be able
or willing to pay for out-of-the-ordinary vet care.
In my own experience the more realistic scenario is someone who wants a dog
that hasn't been touched by the 'rescue industry'.

btw... why w/should "out of the ordinary" vet care be an expectation?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Plenty. Yes, the things you listed cost money, but simply because I don't pay for something doesn't mean I won't spend money on it. It cost me nothing to have nieces and nephews but I willingly spend money on them because they are my family - just like the dog will be. I don't know where this crock-of-crap paying for unwanted dogs (oh, excuse me, re-homing fees) started but it is essentially turning some people into used dogs salesmen. I have a friend who recommends that your offer to give the re-homing fee to a charity and I am fine with that.

Do you really think a serious dog fighter isn't willing to fork out $25-50 for a bait dog, if that's the only way they can get one? That would just be a cost of business, same as dog kibble and shots. I am so tired of this excuse to be able to sell your dog.
But paying $25-50 not the only way they can get a bait dog because there are always free to good home dogs on CL, etc. Using your business model and when quality isn't an issue, you would never pay more for raw materials than you had to.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:15 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,974,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
no, but it does provide yet another reason to ban fighting dogs like pit bulls.
As noted in the Sticky, discussion of BSL is limited. For anyone interested in the topic, the Animal Farm Foundation has good info, including a list of various organizations that oppose it.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In my own experience the more realistic scenario is someone who wants a dog
that hasn't been touched by the 'rescue industry'.

btw... why w/should "out of the ordinary" vet care be an expectation?
Because the field of veterinary medicine has evolved to the point that there are now successful but costly treatments for diseases/issues that historically signaled continued discomfort or the demise of the dog. Some folks may elect to pass but others may desire to treat.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:23 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Because the field of veterinary medicine has evolved to the point that there are now successful
but costly treatments for diseases/issues that historically signaled continued discomfort
or the demise of the dog.
It's great to do and I applaud those who will.
I have done some too with family pets.

But again... why should that standard of care be the **expectation**??
(as it was described in the previous post) w/r/t adopted rescues which
in too many cases turn out to come with those issues?

And on that point I won't shy from the truth:
whether I get a pup from an oops litter at some farm or take in a mutt rescue....
that dog has a ways to go before he'll be the sort of family member that
can expect to get "out of the ordinary" vet care.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:18 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,257,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Of course not. But those who do use them as bait dogs are very adept at masquerading as a caring potential dog owner.
But the heading of this thread, "Why you never want to post FREE to a good home on Craigslist or any other swap site" implies what I stated.

And here I sit in a hotel in Sparks NV, probably picking up a 2 year old that is listed as free to a good family. And the person is checking people out; not just letting the dog go for free. And it was posted as free to a good home. It took her over a month to make a decision; since arriving we are walking the dogs together, we are taking them to dog parks, we are driving around with them in the backseat or my PU truck to see how they react with each other. We are walking them tonight on a double leash connection in a very busy park to see how they walk and not only react to each other, but react as other dogs are passing by.

We are both making sure the dogs are good together and that I am the right person for the new dog.

Therefore, as there are unscrupulous people who pick up free dogs for nefarious acts, there are others who are not, and plan on spoiling this new dog, just like his current dog.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's great to do and I applaud those who will.
I have done some too with family pets.

But again... why should that standard of care be the **expectation**??
(as it was described in the previous post) w/r/t adopted rescues which
in too many cases turn out to come with those issues?

And on that point I won't shy from the truth:
whether I get a pup from an oops litter at some farm or take in a mutt rescue....
that dog has a ways to go before he'll be the sort of family member that
can expect to get "out of the ordinary" vet care.
I suppose because it makes sense to be prepared. Generally accepted financial advice is to sequester three months worth of income in case we lose our job or end up with a health issue that prevents us from working while we recover. That's the *expectation* even though many cannot or do not save that cushion. So being financially prepared to be able to make a decision on how to pursue veterinary treatment based on factors other than whether we can afford it may be considered an expectation along the same lines. Just a form of insurance.

Everyone has their personal yardstick on that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs