Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:15 AM

218 posts, read 393,865 times

Advertisements

Is that normal? He is a Boston and comparing pics from last year he has gotten a bunch of white hair in the area that wasn't there last year. I don't think he is older than what we were told or the vet would have told us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
Is that normal? He is a Boston and comparing pics from last year he has gotten a bunch of white hair in the area that wasn't there last year. I don't think he is older than what we were told or the vet would have told us?
Where did you get him? If it was a shelter or large rescue like the Humane Society, I wouldn't trust what they said. They deal with so many animals and the animals are handled by so many people that they get mislabeled or are evaluated incorrectly all the time. We were told our dog was 11 weeks, but he was actually 9 according to the vet. And I had to ask her directly to verify his age. That is a big difference in the puppy world! If he is even just a bit older, like 5-6, I would say the white hairs are pretty normal.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:23 PM

218 posts, read 393,865 times
We got him from a couple that raised Boston terriers. They were recommended by someone who was on the AKC website. They said he was a puppy that was supposed to be show dog but something with his testicles were odd so they neutered him and wanted to find him a home. They gave us all the paperwork on his birthday and shots etc....although I know that can be made up. We were told he was 8 months. He definitely seemed young. Hyper and small. He was 13 lbs when we got him and now 20 lbs.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,731 times
Quote:
We got him from a couple that raised Boston terriers. They were recommended by someone who was on the AKC website. They said he was a puppy that was supposed to be show dog but something with his testicles were odd so they neutered him and wanted to find him a home. They gave us all the paperwork on his birthday and shots etc....although I know that can be made up. We were told he was 8 months. He definitely seemed young. Hyper and small. He was 13 lbs when we got him and now 20 lbs.
Honestly, I don't know much about the breed, but that does seem early to me. My pit bull didn't start getting gray until 7-8 years and their life expectancy is about the same, 12ish years. She's gotten really white and moley this past year ; she turned 9 in February.

My doxie mix that passed at 14 also did not show much color change until around 8 years.

If you are concerned, I would ask your vet directly for estimated age. If she agrees with 3.5, then see if any health issues (like diet) might be contributing.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Our beagle/Springer mix did this around the same age and since we got her as a six week old pup the age is correct, my research says it happens with beagles.

They're just playing here. It's the black and white one, all the white you see on the black was fully black up until she was about 3. Actually a good picture to show it because even her ears were almost all black. It actually looks pretty cool on her outside ear because it's like a fringe on the edge. There is no slow down in her activity.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:54 AM

588 posts, read 1,438,591 times
Just like humans, dogs are all different regarding when they begin to go gray.

I had gray hairs in my hair by age 21 and in my eyebrows when I was in my late 20's. My siblings, on the other hand, didn't begin getting grays until they were into their 30's.

My former neighbor had visible gray hairs when he was a senior in high school (17 years old), though both of his parents had only a few grays.

My dog is a yellow lab, so she's light and it's a little harder to see grays, but she began getting gray around age 4.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Honestly, I don't know much about the breed, but that does seem early to me. My pit bull didn't start getting gray until 7-8 years and their life expectancy is about the same, 12ish years. She's gotten really white and moley this past year ; she turned 9 in February.

My doxie mix that passed at 14 also did not show much color change until around 8 years.

If you are concerned, I would ask your vet directly for estimated age. If she agrees with 3.5, then see if any health issues (like diet) might be contributing.
Was just noticing this about our pibble yesterday.. She just turned 6 and is brindle and white but the white hairs are coming fast around her eyes...

Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Our beagle/Springer mix did this around the same age and since we got her as a six week old pup the age is correct, my research says it happens with beagles.

They're just playing here. It's the black and white one, all the white you see on the black was fully black up until she was about 3. Actually a good picture to show it because even her ears were almost all black. It actually looks pretty cool on her outside ear because it's like a fringe on the edge. There is no slow down in her activity.

Cuties!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Its probably just a coloring fluke. My coydog was all black, with a white spot on his chest. When he was about two the tips of his ears and his muzzle came in grey. People thought he was an old dog. But as I had it figured, it was just a nod to his coyote half. Coloring can do odd things. I doubt its something to worry about.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:29 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I would believe the breeder as it sounds like the dog had a testicle that did not drop down and many breeders will give it about 8 months if the dog other wise seems like show quality then if by that time it still has not dropped they will sell the puppy as pet quality .Some will get it neutered first others will leave it and let the new owners do the neuter. It is not at all unusual for some dogs to start getting more white or grey in the face around 3 or 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs