Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:35 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,123,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
Love this pup! And I'm pretty sure he likes his home...
Just wanted to say great pic! Nice looking pups.

I've had multiple dogs for years and years and thankfully can say I haven't lost one yet (knock on wood). But I do know things can happen and all it takes is an instant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My sister adores greyhounds and has sent me various things to read about them. "Invisible fences" don't usually work on them, because they move so quickly that they are out of range within a second or so. If they see a squirrel or rabbit, they will take off at a sprint (40 mph). You can't take them outside without a leash because if they bolt you will never catch them, nor will they stop or turn back if you call. The instinct to chase is too strong.
Most greyhounds are retired racers, they do two things eat and run! Not the brightest breed either, makes training tougher

Old 06-11-2015, 10:20 PM

17,354 posts, read 22,099,637 times
I have a 5 yr old Doberman that wouldn't leave the house without you. Leave the door wide open, walk out to get the mail and the dog is still looking out from the front door! Dog is off leash trained and won't leave the perimeter lawn.....kids riding bikes in the street, other dogs barking from across the street......the attention is there, maybe a bark back or some ground pounding but not a paw in the street, as it is simply not allowed! Gun shots, fireworks, Harleys, thunderstorms.....nothing seems to freak this dog out!

Squirrel or rabbit chasing.......dog goes into stalk mode....creeping closer like a big cat chasing prey then takes off after I give the chase command, a few houses away, the next block over.....5-10 seconds later, I will call out a certain whistle and the dog reappears, sometimes you can hear the thunder coming before you actually see the dog (paws pounding the ground)!

I cannot remember ever looking for the dog, I have had a few over the years and it seems the breed is not a wanderer. The current one is the best one I have ever had.......or maybe I'm just getting better in the training!

Old 06-11-2015, 11:10 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,989,126 times
Lost but found my clown of a dalmatian once. She wasn't too bright. Garage door was open and she slipped out while I was hauling in groceries...she was missing for 2 hours. Neighbor caught her.
My schnauzer scottie mix jumped out of my truck window while it was half way down and that nut crossed the street and followed me into the grocery store...that was a sight to see and hear!!!

Fences and gates have a tendency to open during storms..let the dog out without checking and guesse what? Lost dog.
I've seen people hiking with their dogs off leash frantically searching for their fido. It happens.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:58 PM

18,534 posts, read 18,775,972 times
A lovely wee shih tzu keeps passing my gate, with her owner frantically called for him .... this has happened a few times.. so surely the owner must know how the dog escapes and sort the problem.. I tried to catch him but he saw it as a game and headed for a nearby park...

Old 06-12-2015, 06:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Hounds run.........simple as that.

If we let them lose they be gone.

Some people will get a hound............and do not know this.

We use GPS tracking during a hunt..........but, there is still a chance the dog will never be found.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I recently saw a dog tag that contains a satellite marker chip that can be tracked through GPS.

It costs $30, and has a replaceable battery, such as is found in a hearing aid.

As long as the dog isn't under ground, the tag should be able to give it's location down to a 10 yard square location. Same technology that GM has on it's vehicles to be tracked when stolen.

I don't sell them.

link. Dog and Pet GPS Tracker | Tagg the Pet Tracker

Jim B.
Those cheap systems are junk..........do not depend on one.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:27 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Some dogs stick to the owners like glue, others will run off to explore. Hunting type dogs are always looking for something to chase. They will come back when they feel like it, unless they get hit by a car or get lost.
We had a Brittany who loved to chase squirrels so much, she jumped out of the window of our car to go after one. She finally died after digging under the fence to get out of the yard. Its just what dogs do.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hounds run.........simple as that.
We have a Springer/Beagle mix and pure bred pocket beagle that have free range, they are rarely gone for more than 1/2 hour. One hour at the very most. I've only had to go looking for them once and to be honest I think they would have found their way home becsue I didn't have to look very far to find them. Certainly within their normal territory but I was calling for them. The neighbor tells me they come and visit because she gives them treats. To be fair the Springer/Beagle mix started out in town and was always restrained but also well trained for commands. The pocket beagle who is younger has always lived here but follows the other one around.

That pocket beagle is like a cat, she'll go and sit somewhere near where the squirrels hang out for up to an hour. You'll see just head barely moving and wont chase after anything she sees like most dogs, she'll wait until something is close and stalks them like a cat trying to get closer. Haven't seen her catch one yet but have seen her get pretty close.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
We have a Springer/Beagle mix and pure bred pocket beagle that have free range, they are rarely gone for more than 1/2 hour. One hour at the very most. I've only had to go looking for them once and to be honest I think they would have found their way home becsue I didn't have to look very far to find them. Certainly within their normal territory but I was calling for them. The neighbor tells me they come and visit because she gives them treats. To be fair the Springer/Beagle mix started out in town and was always restrained but also well trained for commands. The pocket beagle who is younger has always lived here but follows the other one around.

That pocket beagle is like a cat, she'll go and sit somewhere near where the squirrels hang out for up to an hour. You'll see just head barely moving and wont chase after anything she sees like most dogs, she'll wait until something is close and stalks them like a cat trying to get closer. Haven't seen her catch one yet but have seen her get pretty close.
Our Treeing Walker Coonhounds will be 15 miles away so fast it is incredible.

There is no calling them.

Most of the time the guys have to jump on them when the run by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs