Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:46 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I have read this entire thread and...............

No body has mentioned having a dog micro-chipped, to identify it. All shelters do that as a matter of routine, when a stray comes in. All it takes is a slow pass of a chip reader over the dog's neck/shoulder area, to see if it has one. If it does the chip reader will show ID number and they call the national register to find out the owner's name and phone number. Chips cost about $25. Inserted with a small injector device, and it doesn't hurt or bother the animal at all.

Our cat has a chip, and she isn't a outdoor cat at all.

Jim B.
Actually, it's been mentioned several times with a couple of variants. See below quoted posts. The thread is about dog's escaping and running away, and how and why that happens, not a recovery thread, so the micro chip discussion is sort of a side issue to the thread at hand.

All my dogs are chipped - I just see it as part of being a responsible owner.

My stray escape artist was adopted yesterday, so my fence has held for the last 24 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
There are so many unforeseen circumstances that no one can guarantee they would never lose their dog. To give you just two examples of what has happened in my area:

Last year a woman went to work and left her golden retriever at home. She was living in an apartment on the second floor of a complex and because it was going to be a warm day she left her (screened) windows open. In the late afternoon an unexpected (and fierce) rainstorm rolled through, and the subsequent thunder scared her dog, who at some point leapt through the screen and ran off. Despite months of searching, she never did find him.

And a couple of weeks ago, a couple of blocks from my house a man was exiting his car to enter a drug store when he suffered a heart attack. Paramedics were called and he was rushed to hospital, but in all of the confusion his dog, a lab mix, jumped out of his car and ran off. Many people joined in to help find the dog, food was left at the car, etc. Unfortunately this happened in an area with several heavily-trafficked roads, and the dog was found the next morning several blocks away, having been killed by a car.

As much as dog owners do try and protect their pets, things do happen. This is also why pet ID tags and microchipping are so important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
If every dog owner at least microchip and register their dog, we would have a significantly lower number of strays being kept by animal control and less euthanasia. ..

Surprisingly, even with some shelters offering low cost microchipping, a lot of dog owners in my area would still not do it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That doesn't sound very likely and sounds especially unlikely for cats. Dogs, like humans, tend to form a bond with their person.

And the cost of a shelter dog? You can get a dog that is fixed, chipped, vaccinated, and HW treated for practically free. A bag of dog food or a vet visit and HW test is going to run you more than a shelter dog would. One of the shelters around here, can't remember which one, charges a whopping $10 and that includes the city registration fees. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It's $125 here, unless they have a "sale" and it's still $80 or so. It's not cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I recently saw a dog tag that contains a satellite marker chip that can be tracked through GPS.

It costs $30, and has a replaceable battery, such as is found in a hearing aid.

As long as the dog isn't under ground, the tag should be able to give it's location down to a 10 yard square location. Same technology that GM has on it's vehicles to be tracked when stolen.

I don't sell them.

link. Dog and Pet GPS Tracker | Tagg the Pet Tracker

Jim B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hounds run.........simple as that.

If we let them lose they be gone.

Some people will get a hound............and do not know this.

We use GPS tracking during a hunt..........but, there is still a chance the dog will never be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:41 PM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
That's true, and if that doesn't work I've known people who've gotten their dogs' curiosity up by lying on the ground. Then the dog came over to see what was up with mom or dad. Judging by the way all my dogs have acted if they were in the room if I was on the floor trying to do stretches, that would be a good method.
When I'm out walking my ferret at night, I love to find a grassy area, somewhere, lie down and look up at the stars and it always spooks my ferret out. "Did Dad have a heart attack, is he dead?" And he'll nose around my face to try and determine if I'm alive!

I had another ferret who would start biting my hand if I laid down on the ground! Sheesh! It's OK for him to take a rest, while walking, but Dad isn't allowed to?

Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,810,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I'm out walking my ferret at night, I love to find a grassy area, somewhere, lie down and look up at the stars and it always spooks my ferret out. "Did Dad have a heart attack, is he dead?" And he'll nose around my face to try and determine if I'm alive!

I had another ferret who would start biting my hand if I laid down on the ground! Sheesh! It's OK for him to take a rest, while walking, but Dad isn't allowed to?
Cute! I've always been intrigued by ferrets, but not sure if I'll ever be at a point in my life where I could have one. They seem fun though .

Old 06-14-2015, 05:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Our Treeing Walker Coonhounds will be 15 miles away so fast it is incredible.

There is no calling them.

Most of the time the guys have to jump on them when the run by.
If they see something they have a one track mind but other than that they listen well. They don't go far even if they are chasing something. Only thing I get concerned about is if something goes after them. There was a deer in the backyard with a fawn, usually the deer take off when the dogs start coming but this one turned around and was standing it's ground. Once they had ground hog cornered a short distance in the woods and it took forever to get them to leave it alone.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:07 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Usually the first day of pheasant my male GSP is so amped up that he will chase a flushed hen a mile or more. He'll come back eventually, and soon the 'chasing of hens' dies down when he settles in to the hunt.

Of course the nice thing as that generally I can see my dog from a mile away where we hunt, so it's not like he's lost. He's just an itty-bitty galloping spot on the horizon.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Thanks for furthering my education on dogs that get lost!

Vacanegro: I would love to have a dog some day, a Norwegian Elkhound or German Shepherd, but I live in a townhouse complex where they issue noise violations for barking dogs, along with fines, so that rules out a dog for now. What I really wanted was an animal I could take walks with, and, if it's not too hot (ferrets are heat sensitive and nocturnal) he's good for close to a mile a night. And? They don't bark, make no noises! Perfect for my current lifestyle!

A co-worker lived in a townhouse complex, and, after 3 noise violations for her dog barking, she had to get rid of the dog!
Adopt a retired racing Greyhound. They come crate and leash trained. Not potty trained but that's so easy since they have adult bladders and already know not to mess in their crate. Have to gently teach them how to navigate steps since they've likely never seen them. Can't ever be let off leash cause they will chase critters forever but they are surprisingly quiet and fairly couch potato although they do enjoy long walks. Very sweet, gentle and loving dogs. Big but not in your face big.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:05 AM

488 posts, read 858,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
That's true, and if that doesn't work I've known people who've gotten their dogs' curiosity up by lying on the ground. Then the dog came over to see what was up with mom or dad. Judging by the way all my dogs have acted if they were in the room if I was on the floor trying to do stretches, that would be a good method.
Okay, that's a good one! I never thought of that! I do have two noses immediately in my face if I try to do floor exercises. I will file this for future reference. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Adopt a retired racing Greyhound. They come crate and leash trained. Not potty trained but that's so easy since they have adult bladders and already know not to mess in their crate. Have to gently teach them how to navigate steps since they've likely never seen them. Can't ever be let off leash cause they will chase critters forever but they are surprisingly quiet and fairly couch potato although they do enjoy long walks. Very sweet, gentle and loving dogs. Big but not in your face big.
Commonly Asked Questions About Greyhounds

http://www.retiredracinggreyhounds.com/10reasons.html

Old 06-16-2015, 08:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,252,850 times
Smile Awww, she's a Sheltie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
They can slip out they can be Hudinis. I had a sheltie at the age of 10 yrs old that became a climber after I finally plugged all the holes from her digging! BTW the fence was chain link 10 FOOT Tall! When I saw her I Froze! How the Heck was I going to get her off the top of the fence [taller than Me] She Jumped! Lucky no bones broke! She Proudly presented me ith the Perfect Front [Obedience command where dog comes straight to you sits perfect!] So no way I could yell at her for the climb & jump! She would have thought the recall front was why I was up set!!
Love them!! They are mischievious!

(I now have 2 Shelties - Madison is 9, Chase is 2 and Laddie the Collie is 16 months).

Old 06-19-2015, 11:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
I've never owned a dog, but, through the years, I've seen the flyers taped to the light poles in the neighborhoods, announcing Lost Dog. Tonite someone tucked a Los Dog flyer under the windshield wipers of nearly every car in the neighborhood. Mind you, this is a townhouse complex, with a courtyard for their dogs, with 6 foot wall separations.

I understand ferrets all to well, being a ferret owner, and I know, when walking my ferret around the neighborhood, he gets out of his leash, it's comparable to a bird flying away! My ferret does not respond to his name, so it's Good-bye, perhaps forever!

But I'm puzzled over lost dogs. if a dog wiggles his way out of his leash, they run away, and won't respond to their names? or are there particular types of dogs that are more apt to run away from their owners, once they have that freedom?
Research Siberian Huskies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs