Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:22 AM

488 posts, read 858,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

But I'm puzzled over lost dogs. if a dog wiggles his way out of his leash, they run away, and won't respond to their names? or are there particular types of dogs that are more apt to run away from their owners, once they have that freedom?
My dog likes to be chased. If she gets loose, calling her name eggs on the game. Now she knows she is about to get chased and she runs farther and faster. I have finally learned to deny my instinct to try and catch her and I just stay put. She'll explore the neighbourhood and come home 10 minutes later.

I believe what it comes down to is some dogs who get loose want to explore all the smells and can't figure out their way home.

Or someone sees them loose exploring, picks them up and either keeps them or turns them in to a shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 09:33 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
My dog likes to be chased. If she gets loose, calling her name eggs on the game. Now she knows she is about to get chased and she runs farther and faster. I have finally learned to deny my instinct to try and catch her and I just stay put. She'll explore the neighbourhood and come home 10 minutes later.

I believe what it comes down to is some dogs who get loose want to explore all the smells and can't figure out their way home.

Or someone sees them loose exploring, picks them up and either keeps them or turns them in to a shelter.
It's everyone's inclination to chase an escaped dog but usually it's the worst thing to do because as you found out, it makes them run farther and faster. What I've seen recommended is to get the dog's attention and run in the opposite direction calling her. The idea is to get the dog to chase you and "catch" you so obviously you don't want to run too far or too fast. It may not work but IMO it's worth a try.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:53 AM

488 posts, read 858,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It's everyone's inclination to chase an escaped dog but usually it's the worst thing to do because as you found out, it makes them run farther and faster. What I've seen recommended is to get the dog's attention and run in the opposite direction calling her. The idea is to get the dog to chase you and "catch" you so obviously you don't want to run too far or too fast. It may not work but IMO it's worth a try.
Yeah, I've tried that. She likes to be chased, she does not like to be the chaser. My other dog likes to be chased too, and whenever he tries to get her to chase him, she won't do that either. Sometimes they get going in a circle and they both think they are being chased, but it never lasts long. LOL They are goofy dogs.

If she hasn't gotten too far and I've got my keys handy, opening the car door works. Then she'll run back and jump inside. Car rides are even better than being chased!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
Yeah, I've tried that. She likes to be chased, she does not like to be the chaser. My other dog likes to be chased too, and whenever he tries to get her to chase him, she won't do that either. Sometimes they get going in a circle and they both think they are being chased, but it never lasts long. LOL They are goofy dogs.

If she hasn't gotten too far and I've got my keys handy, opening the car door works. Then she'll run back and jump inside. Car rides are even better than being chased!
She sounds like quite a character! Glad you found something that works.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've never owned a dog, but, through the years, I've seen the flyers taped to the light poles in the neighborhoods, announcing Lost Dog. Tonite someone tucked a Los Dog flyer under the windshield wipers of nearly every car in the neighborhood. Mind you, this is a townhouse complex, with a courtyard for their dogs, with 6 foot wall separations.

I understand ferrets all to well, being a ferret owner, and I know, when walking my ferret around the neighborhood, he gets out of his leash, it's comparable to a bird flying away! My ferret does not respond to his name, so it's Good-bye, perhaps forever!

But I'm puzzled over lost dogs. if a dog wiggles his way out of his leash, they run away, and won't respond to their names? or are there particular types of dogs that are more apt to run away from their owners, once they have that freedom?
I know a couple instances of this happening.

A coworker had adopted a dog and only had it for a couple months. Her roommate went to answer the door and didn't bother to monitor the dog, which took off through the open door and never returned. My coworker was devastated, and the roommate felt horrible since it happened on "her watch."

Another coworker had a well-trained dog but they had recently moved to a new complex. The dog was in the backyard and chased a rabbit or something, hopped the fence and went running off. Never came home. My coworker is positive that had they been at their OLD home, at which the dog lived for years, he'd have come home eventually - but since was a new place in another part of town, it's possible that once the dog stopped running, he just didn't know how to get back home.

My parents had a couple dogs during my childhood that LOVED to dig under the fence and go run around the neighborhood. My husband and I had our dog get out once but we were able to catch him just a block away because the dog tired out (he was old).

It happens - and is why owners need to be on guard when walking their dogs, letting them into the backyard, or opening their front doors (among many other scenarios in which a dog can get loose).

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
That's true, and if that doesn't work I've known people who've gotten their dogs' curiosity up by lying on the ground. Then the dog came over to see what was up with mom or dad. Judging by the way all my dogs have acted if they were in the room if I was on the floor trying to do stretches, that would be a good method.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:56 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,456,116 times
I have read this entire thread and...............

No body has mentioned having a dog micro-chipped, to identify it. All shelters do that as a matter of routine, when a stray comes in. All it takes is a slow pass of a chip reader over the dog's neck/shoulder area, to see if it has one. If it does the chip reader will show ID number and they call the national register to find out the owner's name and phone number. Chips cost about $25. Inserted with a small injector device, and it doesn't hurt or bother the animal at all.

Our cat has a chip, and she isn't a outdoor cat at all.

Jim B.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

No body has mentioned having a dog micro-chipped, to identify it. All shelters do that as a matter of routine, when a stray comes in. All it takes is a slow pass of a chip reader over the dog's neck/shoulder area, to see if it has one. If it does the chip reader will show ID number and they call the national register to find out the owner's name and phone number. Chips cost about $25. Inserted with a small injector device, and it doesn't hurt or bother the animal at all.

Jim B.
My pets have all been chipped even my indoor cats.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,248,887 times
Yeah, and then we get the shelters who don't bother to scan the microchips!!!!

It happens quite often, as I said I used to work with collections.

I used to walk several dogs and they would ALWAYS escape if given a chance, until I started walking them.

Then all I needed to do was open my car door.

Instant reversal and assembly in the car....they ALL wanted to go to the beach.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Jim B.
It should have been mentioned. Dogs and cats should be chipped (and the contact info kept up to date!). But for a chip to bring a dog home, someone has to find the dog and bring it to a vet, animal control or shelter to be scanned. Once dogs have been out lost somewhere for awhile, they may become disoriented and fearful of everyone-even people they know-and difficult to catch. And some people who happen to want a dog persuade themselves that the owner must not deserve to get the dog back, or just decide that finders are keepers. So it's not foolproof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs