Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,534,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
My rescue does have guidelines for adoption to seniors. They are not set in stone but are generally followed. That being said, many of our dogs are adopted by residents of one of the most famous active lifestyle retirement villages in the country. These adopters usually provide the ideal home for our rescue dogs. A 70 year old who golfs every day and has an active social life is often healthier and more fit than a 50-60 yr old still grinding away at work. We receive great pictures of their new best friends riding around in their golf cart soaking up all the attention. These adopters also have a much wider network of family and friends who would be willing to take in the dog in the event of their owner's passing.

Back to the guidelines. We generally do not place a puppy with someone who is over 65 -70. Puppies are a lot of work and have more energy to burn than your average senior can handle. A couple of years ago my now 87 year old mother was"given" a puppy by her veterinarian. She is a husky Shepard mix and the poor dog never gets enough exercise. I found that extremely irresponsible of the vet. The rescue I volunteer for does occasionally place dogs with people in their 80's as seniors enjoy the companionship but the dogs are generally small dogs 10 yrs or older.

I've seen young kids get puppies and then practically ignore them after a few weeks.
Puppies adopted by 20somethings - mid age folks who don't do a whole lot for the animal, that includes not even loving it. So, really it all depends on the person with the puppy or dog. Age should not necessarily be the factor. I do know of some 60 year old plus folks that are way more healthy and energetic than some 30 year olds. None of us know when we're going to check out from this world. Don't let that be a deciding factor on whether to let someone adopt or not.

Some groups say the same about the elderly and driving. Some of these young kids aren't any better even if they attended a driver's school. They either forget what they've learned or would rather just be a "hot dog" (sorry for the pun) on wheels perhaps trying to impress someone. You have the states with the hands-free law and look around. I don't know about you, I've heard that with Maryland and yet I still see plenty enough drivers with their cell phone up against their ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I've seen young kids get puppies and then practically ignore them after a few weeks.
Puppies adopted by 20somethings - mid age folks who don't do a whole lot for the animal, that includes not even loving it. So, really it all depends on the person with the puppy or dog. Age should not necessarily be the factor. I do know of some 60 year old plus folks that are way more healthy and energetic than some 30 year olds. None of us know when we're going to check out from this world. Don't let that be a deciding factor on whether to let someone adopt or not.
IMO there should be no issue with a 60 or 70 year old adopting a puppy.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
IMO there should be no issue with a 60 or 70 year old adopting a puppy.
Right. My spouse has well attended to our dogs when they were puppies, even tho at times, it can be exasperating. Hasn't anyone seen someone younger than 60 blow a fuse when it comes to patience?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Because in the senior's case the odds are higher that they may die or have to go to a nursing home where they can't take the pet. Pretty unlikely that either of those will happen to a 40 year old much more likely that they would happen to someone who is 80.

Just to be clear, I do think seniors should be allowed to adopt pets. It's usually a win for both the senior and the pet.

I do agree everyone should make plans for their pets in the event they are no longer to care for them.
Anything can happen to a 40 year old just as easy as it can to an 80 year old. It may not be the senior home but it can be an early grave.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
This thread is revealing attitudes of condescension toward Old people, and equating pets with children.

Sheesh, doesn't society marginalize and push Old people around enough as it is? Now this.

If I am ever considered not good enough to adopt a pound puppy because of my age, I will find a breeder willing to take my money. It goes without saying that one needs to provide for care of pets in one's will. At any age.
I agree with you 100%. I think the intention may be well rooted, but in fact it's quite discriminatory and sort of backwards..

1. People are projecting more of their feelings and empathy/concern toward the dog, when in fact the human in this scenario is more than likely the big beneficiary of this relationship. People who own and care for dogs (pets) have proven to live less stressfully and are generally happier than others. I can't fathom outweighing that in preference to the animal. See my first post about the elderly couple that bought one of my dogs. It brought great joy for me to know they would have a loving companion.

2. Requiring a senior citizen to have 'a plan in place' is very intrusive. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of senior citizens have some sort of a plan, and to be blunt- it's really none of anyone's business.

I would not donate one dime to a shelter that practiced any sort of age discrimination. Sure I can see some breeds needing a home with a fenced yard or those sort of things- but those are understood to be standard and those questions are not intrusive. Holding back an adoption because, well, 'your dog may outlive you' is just wrong.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
While I understand that seniors in particular should make plans for a situation where they can no longer care for their pets, in reality EVERYONE should make those plans. Life has no guarantees (except death and taxes) and anyone can find themselves in a situation where they can no longer care for their pets at any time. Why target only seniors?

My father bought three puppies from a breeder when he was 70. He had a plan in place for his dogs--his much younger wife who recently died at 56. I will most likely be the one to take his dogs when he passes but who's to say that I will outlive him?

Using age as a reason to deny an adoption doesn't seem very well thought out.

Last edited by StarlaJane; 08-13-2015 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 01:48 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Anything can happen to a 40 year old just as easy as it can to an 80 year old. It may not be the senior home but it can be an early grave.
Agree but as I said it's more likely for a senior than a 40 year old - that to me is the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
2. Requiring a senior citizen to have 'a plan in place' is very intrusive. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of senior citizens have some sort of a plan, and to be blunt- it's really none of anyone's business.
I have to disagree. There are many, many dogs in shelters or on the streets where there was no plan in place OR the plan didn't work. The children decided they didn't want to (or are unable to) take care of the dog. I see this all the time on shelters' websites or in rescue face book postings and on Craigslist. I think seniors should be allowed to adopt but I think there should be some reasonable consideration given to what will happen to the dog.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people don't think it's a rescue's business or it doesn't matter what happens to the dog. It's not a used car. IMO you can't assume that because an owner loves and cherishes the dog, the dog will automatically be taken care of once the owner is no longer in the picture.

Last edited by Rowan123; 08-13-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
Quote:

I have to disagree. There are many, many dogs in shelters or on the streets where there was no plan in place OR the plan didn't work.
It's naive to think that because it's owner loves and cherishes the dog, it will automatically be taken care of once the owner is no longer in the picture.
One of the best dogs I ever had the pleasure of knowing was a morbidly obese largely bald beagle/basset mix with separation anxiety whose owner had gone into a nursing home. The son was supposed to take the dog, but guess what- son didn't want the dog. He took the dog- Shelly- to the vet to be put to sleep. The rescue I was working with at the time called me and said that unless I could take the dog THEN - immediately- she would be put to sleep. I am not able to turn away a dog or animal, (or human for that matter) who needs help so of course I said, yes bring her over.

Sweet Shelly went on a tough love diet, got on meds for her epilepsy, learned how to be alone without freaking out, and began to grow a beautiful coat, but if I hadn't been able to take her right away, she would have died. She was one of the sweetest best dogs ever, but that didn't matter to the son to whom she was just an inconvenience. I ended up adopting her and she lived with me until she passed of cancer.

So, plans do go awry; people lie and say they will do things because it is easier than saying no, or maybe their situation changes, and the dog goes by the wayside, either abandoned, in a shelter, or at a vet's office to be euthanized. I wish I could say this was an isolated case, but it isn't, and if it can be avoided by asking appropriate questions and making a sound placement, then so be it.

It is ridiculous to think that just because someone is a senior citizen that they somehow don't need to prove like any other adopter their ability to provide a loving home.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post

It is ridiculous to think that just because someone is a senior citizen that they somehow don't need to prove like any other adopter their ability to provide a loving home.
That's not the crux of what I see posted here. It is an underlying unwillingness to allow an elderly person to adopt due to some issue with their mortality. It has nothing to do with a loving home. No one wants to see any animal go into an abusive home- that has no age, gender or race boundary.

I wouldn't sell one of my pups to a guy that said he would 'cut out' the micro-chip i.d. implant because he didn't want the government tracking his whereabouts . 27years or 77years old doesn't matter- batsh*t crazy is batsh*t crazy.

In my opinion, if an elderly person really wants a companion to be by their side even until their end, maybe comforting that human in their darkest days- that is a WONDERFUL thing to have happen.

All this "well that dog could wind up in a shelter, or bounced from home to home, or..or.."

When does one simply stop and look at the human aspect of the equation?

Old 08-13-2015, 10:16 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Are you folks actually believing that an 85 year old should be handed a 2 year old dog so they have companionship? How many of you have committed years to rescuing animals tossed aside by their families?

A few months ago we took in a dog whose elderly owner was unknowingly killing her dog by giving the dog her own medications. Frequently we take in owner surrenders, often when the owner dies or is placed in a nursing home. Those are the lucky dogs. At least the human who stepped up for them cared enough to find a rescue who would take the dog. Imagine what would happen to the dog if it was dumped at the shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs