Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:16 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,134,864 times

Advertisements

Reading through these comments, I agree that an older person or couple can offer a lot to a dog. If it’s a puppy you want, and you’re in your seventies, keep in mind that many 80 something folks are likely to either pass or develop serious health problems. At least make provisions for the dog to land in a secure home and all should be well.

I remember a sad story where a dog lover wanted family members to take the dog and offered them money for doing so. This lousy family took the money when their relative died and put the dog in a shelter. I’m guessing this happens a lot, so be careful who you trust.

On the bright side, I’ve sold Medicare health plans for a number of years and have spoken to people 80 years old, just deciding to retire from their jobs. With better medical care and people taking good care of themselves, people are going to live longer and healthier lives, and going on a two or three mile walk with your dog, is one of the best things you can do. With all the unwanted dogs looking for a home, it makes sense to encourage everyone in every age group to get out there and adopt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 04:04 PM

4,869 posts, read 3,296,158 times
We've lost 4 dogs in the last 18 months, two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels we got as pups that were both close to 13, a rescue Cocker that was probably close to 15, and one of two Cavalier rescues (yesterday) that was around 12. We have a new Cavalier pup and the older male, who's 12 now but in good shape. The idea that the pup may outlive us has occurred to me, and I expect he'll be the last young one for us.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,920,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
We've lost 4 dogs in the last 18 months, two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels we got as pups that were both close to 13, a rescue Cocker that was probably close to 15, and one of two Cavalier rescues (yesterday) that was around 12. We have a new Cavalier pup and the older male, who's 12 now but in good shape. The idea that the pup may outlive us has occurred to me, and I expect he'll be the last young one for us.
I am so sorry for your losses, especially your most recent. It never gets easier——

I get what you’re saying about the new pup. I am 73. I didn’t want the Rottweiler that was rehomed to me, at 18 months old, in December, 2018.

My last two horses are 25 & 26. The 26 year old is in great health and his professional care givers feel like “he ought to be around at least five more years”, lollol

Between that horse and the Rottweiler, I have to keep moving, lollol. <——which is my point.

Hopefully your new pup will give you a reason to keep moving longer than you think you can. After that, I pray there is someone who will give him a home, instead giving you an empty promise and he ends up dumped at a shelter or along the road.

Best wishes and good health to you

Old 07-03-2020, 12:48 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,528,194 times
A good rescue will always take back an adopted pet if it needs a safe landing. So rescue should be where elderly are getting pets. Elderly people are usually perfect fits for older pets. They are less active, out of the puppy stage. Content to walk shorter distances/slower.
Its a win win. There are some rescues that do free adoptions to seniors. Its proven that having a pet, lowers your blood pressure, boosts immune system, helps with loneliness and gives purpose to each day. They also deter burglars, and can alert owners to unusual noises, fires, etc.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:19 AM

1,112 posts, read 886,012 times
Maybe adding a clause on ALL adoption apps asking who will be responsible for the pet in case the owner is
unable to care for the pet. Seems reasonable to ask for a plan B . But, no, no age limit. Seniors buy cars and houses.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,967,762 times
Back in 05 when I was 50, I tried to adopt a male black lab who needed an alpha human and lots of firm consistency. I was perfect for him, as my dogs live in the house and I'm home most of the time due to working from home. No long stretches of being alone for the newcomer, which to a dog is pure torture. The foster mom thought I was perfect for him. She knew I was a shoe-in for the adoption.

Then I met with the old biddy committee.

Biddy #1 opens with "Soooo, you're 50?" I wanted to answer "Yes I am. And how old are you?" But I kept my yap shut.

Biddy #2 asked: "I see you've designated your sister as the recipient of the dog, in case something happens to you. I also notice she already has 3 dogs. We can't accept that."

Fontucky: "Well, yes she does, but she also lives on a ranch with many acres and a swimming pond. Labs love to swim... Wait a minute, are you basing this on my death or debilitation because I'm FIFTY???"

In a nutshell, they were. Secondary reason for rejecting me: I don't have grass in my back yard. My 4 acre back yard. In Southern California in the summer, on the edge of the Mojave Desert where it seldom rains. During a serious drought. Responsible people weren't watering thirsty lawns. I still don't do that to this day.

Anyway, Here I am about to turn 65, with an adopted red pit/lab who is a handful because she's so strong, willful, and playful. I can handle her.

That black lab boy would have had a great life. But his door closing led to Miss Nanners' door opening, and we proceeded to spend 8 wonderful years together. She ended up with his great life.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,758,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I don't like putting age restrictions on pet adoptions. There is no telling when a person will die and leave a beloved pet behind. In the meantime, pets may spend additional time in a shelter because someone had a prejudice against an older adopter.

No one is too old to adopt.
THIS^^^^^^^ Your post is ignorant and arrogant.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:30 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,658,354 times
So what kind of Ouija board does the pound use to determine which 30 year olds will out live the puppy or kitten? Or which elderly wont live long enough? People dont have to be old to die, you know????

Or maybe better to just euthanize unadopted puppies and kittens rather than risk an elderly person dying before the dog or cat? Or house and feed them in cages for most of their lifetime? Cause this is obviously far better than dog having a good several years in loving home.....

All you do with such nonsense is push the elderly to adopt from a "free puppy" ad or buy one from pet store that got the puppies from a puppy mill.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Not going to read all responses

I am 72–we had out min schnauzer of 15 yrs put to sleep last week
We are hoping to get a puppy fairly soon
We take care of our dogs
Age isn’t always the only reason some people might have issues with being pet owners
Plenty of younger people have no clue how to be a decent owner and don’t want to change their ways to become one
Plenty of younger people wind up mistreating their dogs through neglect or misinformation, pick breeds that aren’t a good fit for their situation, and dump their dogs at shelters or rescue groups

A neighbor who lived across the street from our daughter and SIL in FL
Died recently from stroke—she was 97–lived alone—still drove and took care of her pet
Her vet took the dog in when she was taken to hospital by EMTs and then kept the dog
There would have been someone else because she had lot of friends if she didn’t like any of her family

Old 07-05-2020, 05:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
A good rescue will always take back an adopted pet if it needs a safe landing. So rescue should be where elderly are getting pets. Elderly people are usually perfect fits for older pets. They are less active, out of the puppy stage. Content to walk shorter distances/slower.
Its a win win. There are some rescues that do free adoptions to seniors. Its proven that having a pet, lowers your blood pressure, boosts immune system, helps with loneliness and gives purpose to each day. They also deter burglars, and can alert owners to unusual noises, fires, etc.

This can also be said of a good breeder. I started talking with the breeder of my Current Silken Windhound when she had posted that a person that has a few Windhounds she had bred was about to become unable to keep them and so she would be taking them back to rehome them. I contacted her as I was interested but in the end what ever issue the owner was facing got resolved and they were able to keep their dogs. Since that did not work out for me but worked out good for both the owner and dogs the breeder and I started talking and a few months later she had a litter and asked me if I would be interested in a male that she sent me photos of and for the past 9 months now that puppy has been mine, That is my Zephyr. If anything were to happen to me the breeder would take him back and find him a new home as any good responsible breeder will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs