Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times

Advertisements

I feel age is not that important as people of ALL ages can and do die. They are also all different as to what the can or can not do at any given age. My Grandma lived to be 103 and her twin lived to be 105 and they were pretty alert active old ladies right up to the last year or two. My niece died at age 20 so people that feel elderly should not be allowed to adopt a dog tell me how would any dog have been better off with my niece verses the twins even when they are 80 or 90?

Life is a series of chances and not one of us knows exactly when we will die but why not allow the living to live and not put such restrictions on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 04:07 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
At age 60 or so my aunt lost her beloved dog. She didn't get another dog because she was afraid she would pass away herself leaving that dog to fend for itself. Today she is doing well at 90. She could have had two dogs in that time.

Another thing, many seniors find themselves along with few to no visitors. Old age is a very lonely time in life. A pet would be a blessing for many elders. Instead of thinking of an age restriction why not consider a senior person home as a foster home. Certain arrangements could be made to contact the shelter if the senior become ill or passes away.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
While I understand that seniors in particular should make plans for a situation where they can no longer care for their pets, in reality EVERYONE should make those plans. Life has no guarantees (except death and taxes) and anyone can find themselves in a situation where they can no longer care for their pets at any time. Why target only seniors?
Actuarial tables. Why does life insurance cost more as we get older?

Use science, not emotion, to look at this issue.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
This thread is revealing attitudes of condescension toward Old people, and equating pets with children.

Sheesh, doesn't society marginalize and push Old people around enough as it is? Now this.

If I am ever considered not good enough to adopt a pound puppy because of my age, I will find a breeder willing to take my money. It goes without saying that one needs to provide for care of pets in one's will. At any age.
What if you pass 14 or 15 years from now, when your dog is 14 or 15 years old? What will happen?

Better you should adopt a senior dog.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,892 times
Here's a story with a happy ending:
Mom, 89, 16 year old dog dies. Mom is lonely, wants a pet, but her age is a handicap. I agree to assume responsibility should she be unable to care for her pet.
She is offered an 11-12 year old 90% blind dog, whose owner is going into a nursing home. Not her first choice, but she's lonely.
4 monthes later, Mom's thrilled with her Molly, an energetic, bossy , sweet girl, who runs rings around my 8 year old pup.
We all love her, and she has been perfect for Mom.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
I would never support age restrictions on pet adoptions. The first dog I fostered was adopted by a retired couple in their 70's. She was frail but he was quite strong and active. In a follow-up email he told me that he and "Max" went for a 3-mile walk every morning.

Anyone can decide they can no longer care for a dog at any age. If the adopter fits all the criteria for housing, food and vet care, they should allowed to adopt.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:11 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
Hello from an elderly woman wanting to adopt a dog as a companion and friend. Six (6) weeks ago my 14 year old Yorkshire terrier passed away. She came into my life at the age of 6 1/2 s years old from our local Vet. I was asked to 'baby-sit' over the weekend and bring the dog back the next Tuesday. Well, 3 days with this sweet, adorable, loving creature led to 7 1/2 years of true companionship. Now I have a strong desire to give another dog a forever home very soon. No, I'mnot looking to find a replacement for my Ginger. She cannot be replaced. So here I am, reading this forum and realizing that may become an uphill battle for me to find my next best friend from a shelter or rescue. But I am not interested in a puppy nor any cute little pup under about 5 years of age. I really am hoping so much to find a small breed dog about 5 or 6, 7 years of age. House trained of course and would enjoy a few cuddles and walks in the fenced back yard. And of course, we have to have some couch potato time when a good movie or series from BritBox is on the telly. Oh, my age? Never ask a lady her age. they say-so Im not going to say right now. But I will admit to having celebrated my 70th birthday a few years ago! lol

Old 06-15-2020, 07:24 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
Last autumn when I turned 70 and was down to just 2 senior labs I figured that there would be no additions to my pack. In December I was asked if I would take a 14 year old and agreed to do so. He was with me for just 6 months before his health reached the point where it was time to let him go. I'd like to think those few extra months were good ones for him.

Now my own health is very poor and so there will be no more for me. Of the two I have one is in declining health and at his age things can turn bad overnight so I don't think he will be with me much longer.

Dogs have been a part of my life since I was a child and other than a few years in my 20's when I was a renter (which can be hard to have a dog). It's really hard to imagine that I could soon be without a dog in my life. The one positive is that because I've been involved in rescue and have many friends with dogs it might be enough for them to come visit me and bring one with them so I could have a bit of a fix.

I don't think that age alone should rule someone out but should be a consideration to be factored in.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:33 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Does the rescue have an excellent crystal ball that tells when a person is going to die? A thirty year old might die next year and a 70 year old might live another 30 years. There is no way to predict.

My only feeling about it is that a timid and frail person (of any age) should be discouraged from adopting a large, energetic, and strong willed dog.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:45 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
We are in our 60’s so we downsized from 4-2 as they passed. We have a home lined up if we both die. I got a puppy 3 years ago as I was sick of adopting old dogs that died. However, it’s a small dog so I can keep up with him. Age restrictions are a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs