Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 05:15 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times

Advertisements

Right now I am trying to imagine running away from a bichon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 05:58 AM

26,074 posts, read 22,273,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
A dead dog can't bite anyone, so it's clearly a solution, just may not be the only solution. Since we have a huge surplus of dogs in shelters and on streets, many of whom will make wonderful pets without the slightest aggressive tendency, any dog exhibiting the type of behavior described in OP should be put down immediately, so other better dogs can have a chance to live.
I agree with this ^^^^. Frankly, this is one of the reasons that we adopt from Animal Control because they keep the best dogs and put down the ones that appear to have serious problems. Just how often do we see dogs with serious problems coming out of rescue, problems that are not disclosed to the adopting family with the hope that the adoptive family will live with it.

Imagine what the dog would do to a child.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:58 AM

10,384 posts, read 8,043,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Just found out tonight that the dog bit another neighbor on 2 different occasions.
What a surprise - NOT. I bet he's bitten his owner more than once as well.

Quote:
The owners took the dog to a behaviorist when the first aggression happened. The behaviorist told them that the dogs space should be respected. Since when does a dog own space? He is allowed to use OUR space at our discretion.
It's very unfortunate that the behaviorist wasn't more helpful. "Respecting the dog's space" is a temporary action to keep from provoking a dog while its underlying aggression or fear issues are being dealt with through other training. The ultimate goal, of course, is to get the dog relaxed enough (if fearful) or submissive enough (if dominance aggressive) to not require tiptoeing around the animal's space.

Quote:
The dog is supposed to be in quarantine for 10 days and they took the dog to get groomed on the 2nd day. Normally the dog will pull its lips back when his feet are touched but this time he growled at the groomer. The groomer asked the owner if the dog had just had any shots and the owner said he just had a steroid shot. The groomer said when her dog got a steroid shot her dog became very aggressive and chased after her daughter to bite her.
I don't know enough about steroids...
Steroids can definitely increase aggression. So can hypothyroidism and Lyme disease.

Given the number of times this dog has bitten people, though, I suspect any medical issues are secondary to a training/temperament problem.

( As an aside, what was the owner thinking, taking a dog that's supposed to be in quarantine to a groomer?)

Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,129,518 times
What do you all suggest we as neighbors do after the 10 day quarantine?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
What do you all suggest we as neighbors do after the 10 day quarantine?
I'd suggest simply staying away from the dog. Don't pet him, don't volunteer to walk him, don't pet sit if the owners are going to be away for the day. If they let the dog off leash outside their own fenced yard, insist they leash the dog or you will call Animal Control. Their biting dog is THEIR responsibility to deal with.

(This is of course assuming that Animal Control or the dog's owners don't euthanize the dog after the quarantine period is over.)

Old 08-23-2015, 03:19 PM

The home has an invisible fence...I don't know what happened to the collar but the owners cannot find it...The dog doesn't run into the street because he thinks he will get shocked even though its not possible without the collar. They leave the dog out in the yard until he wants to come inside (sometimes hours) We often walk our dog at night before bedtime and the dog is very stealthy....He will wait and when you get closest to him (can't see him at night) he will erupt into a barking frenzy that scares the crap out of you because you don't know he's there. In his present instability I don't want him to decide that my dog would be more fun to attack than chancing a shock (that he can't get without his collar) We really like the owners and are trying not to start WWIII in the neighborhood but we also don't want to jeopardize our safety...

BTW....He also had a fight with a German Shepard Dog in our neighborhood a few years back and it landed him in the hospital with his stomach ripped open. Of course the owners said the German Shepard attacked THEIR dog not the other way around.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:21 PM

[quote=Aredhel;
(This is of course assuming that Animal Control or the dog's owners don't euthanize the dog after the quarantine period is over.)[/quote]

Animal Control would only do this if he has rabies right?

Old 08-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Animal Control would only do this if he has rabies right?
No, some municipalities have "dangerous dog" laws which mandate the euthanasia of dogs which have bitten a human being more than once. (Sometimes they will spare the dog if it's only in public while wearing a muzzle, since in that case the dog can't bite anyone.)

Old 08-23-2015, 04:53 PM

Oh, and if the dog isn't euthanized, I'd tell the neighbors that for their own legal safety they need to swap out the invisible fence for a real one. They might respond better if the fence is proposed as a protective measure for themselves and their dog (which of course it would be - it would protect everyone).

Old 08-23-2015, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 3,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And the vast, vast majority of people on this planet disagree with YOU. Animals aren't unimportant, but people come first.
I disagree with you its animals before people any day. I hate little rat dogs more than any one
else but i would push a human into danger to save a dog, even a rat dog.

I will have to bring this up though. What kind of non handicapped adult gets owned and destroyed
by a poodle? I'm still trying to picture a grown man getting taken down by a little rat dog that couldn't have weighed more than 5lbs.

I'm not all for hurting dogs (would rather see people suffer) but a little rat dog like that? Good grief Charley Brown could have at least punted the thing across the room with one well placed kick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs