Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:47 AM

10,386 posts, read 8,063,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Update for all who were following... Dog was put down....Owners got new puppy, a Goldendoodle, hopefully this one has a better temperament!!!
A sad but predictable outcome for the old dog.

Here's hoping the neighbors socialize their new puppy extensively, then use positive-reinforcement training methods to produce a nice, friendly, and obedient dog. Aggression problems are a lot easier to avoid in the first place than to remedy after the fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,799,201 times
Quote:
Update for all who were following... Dog was put down....Owners got new puppy, a Goldendoodle, hopefully this one has a better temperament!!!
Hopefully the owners will take the time to properly socialize and train this one but I doubt it. If they can't handle a smaller dog not sure why they can thing getting a bigger one is a good idea.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:55 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,130,856 times
At least it is good news that the temperament of the breed they chose as their new puppy at least gives them a better chance of success than a more challenging breed!!!!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,999 times
Quote:
At least it is good news that the temperament of the breed they chose as their new puppy at least gives them a better chance of success than a more challenging breed!!!!
A goldendoodle isn't a breed; it is a mix, and as such there are the same variables and factors that any mutt would have.
An owner gets out of a dog- any dog- what they put into it. As others have said, hopefully this time your neighbors will put time into proactive training, socializing, and appropriate physical/intellectual stimulation to ensure this pup is able to live a full and happy life.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:37 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,622,123 times
The last dog that bit me was a GoldenDoodle. She was a rambunctious, strong-willed adult who had, as far as I could tell, never been taken to obedience class or given other training; was brimming with energy and was not getting much exercise (it was winter and the yard was buried under snow) - an absolute hooligan. Her owners were very nice older people. I did not blame the dog; and, since she was up to date on her shots, there was no problem with long-term consequences. The bite itself was very small; really a nip, but she did break the skin.

I have also met many GoldenDoodles (and Labradoodles) who were energetic but not biters (and whose owners did make it a point to get them to places where they could run).

Doodles are shaggy, usually high-energy mixed-breeds. It's not easy to assign a predictable range of behaviors and physical characteristics to them, because they are not purebreds and do not breed true. They are very popular.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
They're mixes not a breed and they can be strong willed and have a lot of energy. IMO a bichon is a much easier dog than a goldendoodle. Given these people's past history I don't think they shouldn't own anything more challenging than a goldfish.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 3,179 times
Quote:
So they put down a mop with eyes because a grown man cannot stop a mop, seems a little ass backwards seems the neighbor should have been put down and the dog re-homed. I hope your neighbor doesn't have any kids such inferior genes.

Now they got a golden doodle? Do these people just pick the worst kinds of dogs or something? I mean who would think turning such a noble dog such as

http://cdn.akc.org/akcdoglovers/Gold...ver_cutout.png

into this ugly thing

http://buzzsharer.com/wp-content/upl...ldendoodle.jpg

One thing can be said about those who breed
(whatever ) x Poodle and the jackasses that buy them
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/66/661e...cf3c86ddcd.jpg

Old 10-08-2015, 03:49 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,130,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
A goldendoodle isn't a breed; it is a mix, and as such there are the same variables and factors that any mutt would have.
An owner gets out of a dog- any dog- what they put into it. As others have said, hopefully this time your neighbors will put time into proactive training, socializing, and appropriate physical/intellectual stimulation to ensure this pup is able to live a full and happy life.
All I meant is that a Goldendoodle comes from a Golden Retriever (usually a very friendly, non aggressive breed) and a Poodle (usually an easily trainable breed) so hopefully the chance of it becoming aggressive like their last dog should be lessened.

It is a shame that the public cannot dictate who can own a dog any more than we can dictate who can have children!!!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 PM

30,458 posts, read 23,916,482 times
If they don't train their dog properly, it doesn't matter what breed they get. Any dog can bite and cause serious damage. They need to train their dog, plain and simple.

For the record, three times other dogs came after my boy dog: ALL three of them were golden retrievers.

One was my fault for a bad introduction. Neighbor's dog, we shared a back yard, I thought it was going to be a nice little exchange and that they would be friends. I was horribly wrong, and my boy pays for that to this day...we are still working on that and it was 4 years ago.

The other two times we were walking, minding our own business, and each time, it was a Golden Retriever that came over to attack. One put us in the middle of a busy street where large trucks would go by all the time. Do we get attacked by this dog, or do we take our chances that the cars and trucks will stop in time. I took my chances on the cars and trucks. Golden Retrievers are not necessarily "harmless" dogs.

And then when you go and mix two breeds, one a highly intelligent breed, the Poodle, and one that is not necessarily friendly if not trained, you're going to have a lot on your hands if you DON'T train that dog. This could end up exactly the same if they didn't learn a thing from their previous dog.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If they don't train their dog properly, it doesn't matter what breed they get. Any dog can bite and cause serious damage. They need to train their dog, plain and simple.

And then when you go and mix two breeds, one a highly intelligent breed, the Poodle, and one that is not necessarily friendly if not trained, you're going to have a lot on your hands if you DON'T train that dog. This could end up exactly the same if they didn't learn a thing from their previous dog.

Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs