Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:36 AM

216 posts, read 373,063 times

Advertisements

Does any one have any suggestions how to train my dogs not to lunge or chase other dogs and cats?

I recently rescued two Yorkies. They are great together but every time I walk them they go running and bark at other dogs and cats. I am afraid to let them socialize with other animals as I do not know how they will react. I took them to the park and they were fine until a dog got too close then they lunged for her. For the most part they are fine with humans. Males they can at times lunge at them also but not as often and if you approach them nicely they seem to be better behaved.

I would love some advice as to how to curb this behavior as I am a new dog owner and it can get tiresome for them to constantly pull on their leash. I live in NYC so there are a lot of other dogs and cats in the neighborhood.

The foster home they were in had other dogs and the foster mom said they did fine, but didn't care for the bigger dogs. I think once they get use to another dog they may be fine but I am too scared of what they will do beforehand to let that happen. I have plans to bring them with me to Thanksgiving where there will be another dog but I am very nervous about it and may end up leaving them at home

I have them in training classes at Petco but they do not go over aggressive behavior. (More command training i.e. sit, lay, leave it alone) I would really appreciate any suggestions or resources to help with the matter. I can't afford more training classes at this time because for the both of them it will be over $600.00

Thanks,

Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Firmly use either NO or Leave it with a quick leash snap. Not hard enough to choke or flip them But enough to get their attention THEN finish with going quickly the other way. soon they will be paying attention to You! And when you have their attention Praise them!

Old 10-29-2015, 10:47 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Does any one have any suggestions how to train my dogs not to lunge or chase other dogs and cats?

I recently rescued two Yorkies. They are great together but every time I walk them they go running and bark at other dogs and cats. I am afraid to let them socialize with other animals as I do not know how they will react. I took them to the park and they were fine until a dog got too close then they lunged for her. For the most part they are fine with humans. Males they can at times lunge at them also but not as often and if you approach them nicely they seem to be better behaved.

I would love some advice as to how to curb this behavior as I am a new dog owner and it can get tiresome for them to constantly pull on their leash. I live in NYC so there are a lot of other dogs and cats in the neighborhood.

The foster home they were in had other dogs and the foster mom said they did fine, but didn't care for the bigger dogs. I think once they get use to another dog they may be fine but I am too scared of what they will do beforehand to let that happen. I have plans to bring them with me to Thanksgiving where there will be another dog but I am very nervous about it and may end up leaving them at home

I have them in training classes at Petco but they do not go over aggressive behavior. (More command training i.e. sit, lay, leave it alone) I would really appreciate any suggestions or resources to help with the matter. I can't afford more training classes at this time because for the both of them it will be over $600.00

Thanks,

Ashley
This subject has been addressed on C-D with lots of great training suggestions. Here is just one: https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...tive-dogs.html

Do an advanced search using the words "reactive dog" and search in the dogs forum. You'll find lots of advice....some good, some not so good. The OP on the above linked thread is right on.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:05 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,255,597 times
If it's not already obvious, you are going to have to work each dog separately. There is no way to do this with two dogs simultaneously. You'll be getting a lot of exercise.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:11 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,279,441 times
How old are your dogs? The older they are, the longer it will take to acclimate them to other dogs, but it's not impossible. Keep in mind, some dogs that get along with their fosters doesn't mean they will with other dogs. Think of it this way, if your dog's personality is that it doesn't like dogs or just tolerates them, that might be all you get.

I find when 2 dogs are bonded, the less confident one will follow his or her more confident sibling. If the more confident one acts aggressively, the other will mimic and follow its behaviour. This also works with good and wanted behaviour. Find out which is your more confident dog. Focus on her body language when meeting with other dogs and nip it at the bud. It is best to train them seperatedly. Walk them seperatedly.

When you go on your walk, or meeting a dog, take out a treat and give it to her. Praises works too. Make every encounter a happy one. If your dog sees a dog passing by, distract her with a treat or walk the other direction. You have to time and reward the behaviour before the reaction.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 PM

216 posts, read 373,063 times
You all have great suggestions. Many have made great points. I am already firmly saying leave it and they listen to me when they aren't excited. When they get too excited its like they can't hear me.

I agree I need to start making some of my walks separately. I plan on making the two evening walks taking them out separately. (Now 4 Walks) I will be getting lots of exercise. The morning is too rushed to walk them individually and my dog walker can't walk them separately either without me paying her double. On the weekends they will be walked individually more.

Boomer the younger yorkie is the alpha of the two and I believe if I can get him under control his brother, Thumper, will follow suit pretty easily.

I will do an advance search and see what other techniques are offered. I really appreciate the advice and can't wait to start working on the issue.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
because when they are excited they are in a state of aggression touch them on their side and just a light touch and when they calm down praise them . You have to draw their attention so that state of aggression goes to a state of calm . First off find another dog walker she or he should not be charging you twice for the walks , that is ridiculous in my opinion . 2nd make sure who is walking your dog is not allowing the behavior by ignoring it . those are the first two things that need to be taken care of and then you can begin training . Good luck .

Old 10-30-2015, 05:22 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,990,377 times
Reactivity is not aggression- two different things.
A dog that barks and lunges etc. on leash isn't necessarily aggressive, no matter how "aggressive" they may look; the dog may never have learned a nice loose leash walk, or their instinct (e.g. herding dogs) may cause them to want to chase and herd, the dog may have leash frustration, or it could be something else entirely.

Quote >I took them to the park and they were fine until a dog got too close then they lunged for her. For the most part they are fine with humans.< Endnote.
1) Some dogs never learned good social skills; 2) Dogs who are familiar with each other may "pack up" against a strange or unfamiliar dog. Until you get their reactivity under control, only take one or the other to the dog park (if you feel you really must go to the dog park) but better to find a socialization class so your dog is around other dogs who will teach them good manners.

Yes, please refer to the thread on Techniques for Reactive Dogs as well as the links Jumpindogs provided:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...tive-dogs.html

Last edited by twelvepaw; 10-30-2015 at 05:45 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 04:04 PM

102 posts, read 104,220 times
Whenever the dog pulls, take it home. They're intelligent animals, they'll quickly put 2+2 together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs