Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 PM

313 posts, read 1,054,505 times

Advertisements

When/how did you know that the end might be coming? Our dog, Fergus, was diagnosed with cancer last October. (At least, cancer was the vet's best guess. We elected not to do any further tests because they were very invasive). The vet predicted that he would not live past the end of the year, but he's still here.

He hasn't been eaten today and did not eat a lot yesterday. He's gotten very skinny, though this has been a very gradual thing. I just don't want him to be in any pain. He's been acting like himself, but the food thing is a concern. We have no idea of his age- different vets have said between 12 and 15 (he was a rescue- we got him in 2005).

I love Fergus, but my husband is the one who is so attached to him and I know that it's harder for him to make a decision about this, but I've never had a dog so I just don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,027,437 times
Oh, what a heartache. I'm SO sorry...

What I've heard from some vets is that, in order not to let your own (obvious) feelings get in the way, choose two or three things that the animal simply LOVES to do. Whether it's eating, chasing a ball, sitting by your feet, whatever. When those things go, then it's time. If you're looking at their quality of life, it makes sense, no?

Aside from the eating, what else is happening? Is he just *not* being the Fergus you know?

You have to look at his overall quality of life. And, even though you've only known him since 2005, you should be able to gauge that. Has he lost all of the other things that he liked to do? Or, enough of them that you're looking more at your sense of loss than his quality of life?

I KNOW it's hard, and I empathize.

If it were me, I would look to more than the eating (if it was just the case of not eating as much as usual). But, it's your choice. You KNOW him. And, as much as it hurts, you have this responsibility.

Again, I'm SO sorry. I'm dreading this with my boys (cats). Though, they've promised me that it's never going to happen .

Old 02-06-2008, 07:21 PM

313 posts, read 1,054,505 times
Thanks for the input- I appreciate it.

When we got Fergus, he was already pretty limited in what he could do- he had really bad arthritis and he's never gotten around well. He's always spent most of the day sleeping, occasionally getting up to trot around (and he'd go out several times a day as well.) Now, he sleeps more. So it's hard to say, because he's never done a lot and I know he's definitely aged a lot.

My DH is just going to be crushed- he's taken such amazing care of this dog. I keep reminding him that Fergus was going to be put down if we hadn't taken him, so he's gotten three years that he would not have gotten, and lots of love and attention.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,027,437 times
No problem, I feel your pain, that's why I responded.

Of course, the ultimate choice is yours, but what about thinking about him getting up and going out? Maybe when he can't do that anymore?

I'm sorry, I'm just about the worst person to be "rational" about this. (Oh, after my mom, who won't even watch animated shows that deal with this. LOL) Seriously, though, I really think that you need to put your own "line" here. Forget for the moment about your feelings and those of your husband. You know this dog. When, honestly, will be the line where he ceases to have a quality of life?

You need to set that in your own mind, and stick with it. As hard as it is, you know that you have to do it.

I wish you the best hon. And, just remember that you gave this dog some GREAT years that he would never have had. I'll end this with telling you what someone told me eight years ago, when I took a ridiculously ugly, parasite-ridden kitten into my home. She said, "I believe that when all things are considered, what you do for those creatures in this world who wouldn't have had a chance otherwise, matter the most".

When she said this, I looked at her like, "well, what ELSE was I going to do?". But, now that I think about it, it makes sense. You've enabled another creature to live, and have a GREAT life at that. Just, please, think about that when you are going through this heartbreak....

Last edited by mishigas73; 02-06-2008 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Grammar issues

Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,534,453 times
My golden had cancer and all but stopped eating and as was older layed around more and such but made it out potty and came up for her loving and all. But before put her down she started having problems standing and so was ready to put her at ease even though showed no pain.Well decided was going to do it and all of a sudden she was up walking and playing again. I decided she just wanted to say goodbye to my 2 sons who she came into our lives 8 years earlier and we a split house. I waited they seen her to days after her problem started and then after they went to school she went to get up and and wobbled and relieved herself and laid back down as could not walk. So I cleaned her up made that dreaded call to my vet said bring her in at noon when usually closes down and we said our goodbye's held her,petted her told her how much she was loved and always would be and told her time to let go. Hardest thing ever but know in my heart she knew just did what was best for her, and know she will be waiting so when my time we will reunite again.
What am trying to say they tell you when, may be a look or just a feeling but you will know as will they when it is time to let go.Best is you gave Fergus more time and more love than expected and know's that you will do what is right as he cannot say what wants.

Peace be with you and Fergus have fun when you cross the rainbow bridge.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,337,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
When/how did you know that the end might be coming? Our dog, Fergus, was diagnosed with cancer last October. (At least, cancer was the vet's best guess. We elected not to do any further tests because they were very invasive). The vet predicted that he would not live past the end of the year, but he's still here.

He hasn't been eaten today and did not eat a lot yesterday. He's gotten very skinny, though this has been a very gradual thing. I just don't want him to be in any pain. He's been acting like himself, but the food thing is a concern. We have no idea of his age- different vets have said between 12 and 15 (he was a rescue- we got him in 2005).

I love Fergus, but my husband is the one who is so attached to him and I know that it's harder for him to make a decision about this, but I've never had a dog so I just don't know what to do.
While I have had to put a lot of dogs to sleep, the only one with cancer was a bird, a very young [12 years] blue and gold macaw. He was my 'heart pet' of all of them, not that I love the dogs less, but JD was the one who called me Mom and said Love you Mom. He had a damaged eye when I got him which had to be removed, then he developed a malignant tumor that kept coming back. I had it removed a couple more times and he'd be okay for awhile, then it would come back again. The last time it hit his brain stem [birds just don't have much space between their eyes and brains] and first he went blind, then lost his ability to perch. I spent that last night cuddling him in bed, telling him he'd be okay soon and would fly away free. The next morning I took him to the vet, who was expecting us to show up any moment without warning, and I held and petted him while he went to sleep.

But the dogs really aren't much different. You love them and you do the best you can for them, whether it's a few months or years and years. It doesn't matter how long, but when the time comes, sometimes you have to let them go even before they seem to fail, because they will do their best to comfort YOU, and behave as normally as they can. Giving them a gentle passing is the last best thing you can do for a pet you love, and it's vitally important to think of what is best for the pet, rather than how much you will miss them.

It's always hard, and you have my sympathies.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,619,269 times
Nothing is harder to deal with. My rottweiler developed bone cancer at age 14. She had never been sick a day in her life, never caused me an ounce of grief and was my loyal and best friend.

The first diagnosis was wrong - I was told she had arthritis. When the medication for arthritis didn't seem to help, I took her back to the clinic and a second vet there said the first diagnosis was wrong - the exrays confirmed bone cancer in both front legs. The medication was changed to a steroidal application. With years and years of use, it might cause liver problems, but at 14 and already with bone cancer, chances were slim that we were looking at many more years of life.

You have to understand that my rott was never an outside dog - she was my bed warmer, my walking buddy, my travel companion and confidante. She got to the point that she could no longer go upstairs to sleep with me. For a while, I tried to help her up and down the stairs but my back can only barely keep me upright, much less help a 90# friend. I had to help her in and out of the house. Then she couldn't stand even in a squat to urinate. Still, I persisted trying to make her comfortable and prolong her life.

But I had to face the fact that I was only trying to prevent more pain for myself by saying goodbye. I did finally come to that conclusion and the last thing she ever knew was the feel of my embrace and gentle kisses on her velvety soft ears. I think of her often and keep her ashes in a can that I am certain I will want to have buried with me when it's my time.

There is nothing harder to do than say goodbye to an old friend. You have my sincere and most heartfelt sympathy. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,263,920 times
My last dog had cancer. We discovered she was eating less and it ended up being in her throat and bones. We switched her to soft food (much to her delight) and she ate like a horse. She ate Gaines Burgers and canned dog food from us, and the neighbors cooked home made mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, etc for her.

For me, knowing mouth cancers are some of the most aggressive things out there, knowing there was a risk of her jaw shattering at any moment, I just went ahead and made the appointment. I gave myself a couple of weeks to say goodbye, spent her last day at the beach doing something she enjoyed.

If Fergus is a large breed of dog 12-15 is very old. Any time I have trouble making a decision like this I say "If this was someone else's dog what you you advise them to do?". It is amazing how often you get a different answer when you change your perspective.

In any event this is a hard thing to do. I hope you find the peace in your heart to make the right choice for your dog.

Cyber hugs!

Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 AM

36,672 posts, read 30,985,893 times
Im very sorry your facing this. Ive lost 3 rotts to cancer, one to old age. The first Id had less than a yr. He had cancer in his lymph system. About 2 wks after diagnosis it was obvious he was suffering, not eating, lathargic, losing weight and whinning. so we put him down. The other two had bone cancer. I think in your heart you will know when its time. My very first rotty was 18 when we had to let her go. She got where she couldnt get up to use the potty, she was so thin one would think I starved her, but she still ate like a hog. It is heartbreaking to have to be the one to make that decision, my prayers are with you.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,554,051 times
Our 4 year old Lab/Border mix got cancer at 4 and they told us she'd be lucky to have 3 months. We were blessed with 6. The key is eating, once they stop eating there's not much left you can do. For Annie, she stopped eating her dry food within a month, stopped eating the Vet's canned food shortly after, but we kept her spirits and weight up with homemade food consisting of mostly lean meat and rice. Once she stopped eating that and started loosing weight, we make the extremely tough decision to take her to the vets and let her go in peace.

My heart goes out to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs