Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times

Advertisements

the dog is a BORED unsupervised Puppy....
step 1: train yourself...
step 2: get working with the dog, he needs phycial and mental stimulation, running around the yard is NOT enough, he needs training, structured walks, structured playtime
step 3: when you cant supervise 110% CONTAIN in a safe place where he cant do damage.

EVERYTHING you are describing is a NORMAL NATURAL HEALTHY PUPPY...
one whos bored, and finding ways to entertain himself since your not...

Anf if your not willing to step up, then I would absolutely return him, hopefully he can find a home that understands hes jut a hyper pup...

and you think a gsd would be easier, they are crazy puppies until they die...our 2 1/2 yr old needs about 4 hours of ACTIVE interactive playtime every day PLUS a minimum of 1 hour training time every day, plus a minimum of a 1 mile walk daily or shes NUTZ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 06:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Well, he's technically not new since he's been with us for couple of months.

He does not have access to the house fortunately.

Forgot to mention that a delivery package was left in our yard and he tore up the box and ate all its contents. He has tried to do it to other packages when I caught him.
Quote:
When I say they don't accept returns I meant they don't do refunds. Of course they will always do owner surrenders but like I said I am worried he will be adopted out again instead of being put down.
Quote:
We've had about 20 dogs over the years and not one needed training. They were all well behaved and not crazy like this dog. This dog is on my last nerve. I am ready to take him to the mtns and leave him there.
So, let me get this straight.

You adopted a high energy 2 year old dog, have not trained it, keep it outside, no exercise, and then are surprised that it isn't well-behaved? And on top of it you seem to be saying that your alternatives are to euthanize or abandon the dog?

Take the dog back to the shelter. It isn't the dog's fault that its owners have failed to step up and do right by it. There isn't anything here that can't be resolved by a thoughtful loving owner, so yes, take the dog back to the shelter and give it a chance to be adopted into that loving home.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:28 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
OP, this is a Golden Retriever? Search for golden retriever rescue groups in your area on the net to see if you can rehome him. Goldens are very popular, and most of their rescues have more potential adopters than dogs. A breed rescue will take him in, evaluate him, and put him in a foster home where he'll learn good behavior before he's put up for adoption.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
So you want this dog to be KILLED for being a dog and to have no chance of being placed with another family? Because nothing you describe is at all unusual for a high-energy young dog who is largely ignored and has a high play drive.

And if you think a German Shepherd would be better, let me assure you that a GSD puppy would be far worse. They need intensive training and socialization. Please give this dog up to a rescue or shelter and don't get another one.

You may have had dogs for 20 years, but that doesn't mean you know a lot about them. Twelvepaw is highly knowledgeable and gave you a blueprint for turning this dog into a perfectly normal housepet. If that doesn't interest you, please give someone else a shot at him. You're not saving another family from grief by hanging on to him - you're denying him a chance at a good home.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
When I say they don't accept returns I meant they don't do refunds. Of course they will always do owner surrenders but like I said I am worried he will be adopted out again instead of being put down.
You think a dog should be killed so you don't have to take the time to train him? The dog is not defective.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
We've had about 20 dogs over the years and not one needed training. They were all well behaved and not crazy like this dog. This dog is on my last nerve. I am ready to take him to the mtns and leave him there.
I feel for you. I really do. Just take a beat, and realize that you are probably this dog's only chance. If you really try, but can't do it, OK, but for your future conscience sake, really try first.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
OP, this is a Golden Retriever? Search for golden retriever rescue groups in your area on the net to see if you can rehome him. Goldens are very popular, and most of their rescues have more potential adopters than dogs. A breed rescue will take him in, evaluate him, and put him in a foster home where he'll learn good behavior before he's put up for adoption.
I second this.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Well, he's technically not new since he's been with us for couple of months.

He does not have access to the house fortunately.

Forgot to mention that a delivery package was left in our yard and he tore up the box and ate all its contents. He has tried to do it to other packages when I caught him.
Oh.

You isolated a pack animal from his pack, left him alone unsupervised, and you're baffled.

He's not an effin' ficus. Bring him in the house and TRAIN HIM.

Poor dog.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
This is a case of a failed owner.

The dog has done nothing wrong.

The owner has done everything wrong.

1. Exercise the dog.
2. Crate train.
3. Exercise the dog.
4. Do NOT let the dog in the yard unsupervised.
5. Exercise the dog.
6. Do not let the dog be anywhere unsupervised.
7. Exercise the dog.
8. If you cannot be with the dog, the dog must be in the kennel.
9. Finally, exercise the dog.

I have a 9 year old Golden Retriever. He has unbelievable amounts of energy. When it's not icy outside, I take him on 3-7 miles walks every day. When it is icy out or way too cold for his feet, we do puzzle toys, logic toys, and Kong toys to keep him interested. When I am not home, he must be placed in one room. That room is dog proofed. When I am home, he is a velcro dog. He always wants to be as close to me as he can get. He is a WONDERFUL dog.

Oh....and exercise your dog.

If you cannot do these things, give him to a rescue organization.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 PM

231 posts, read 335,018 times
You are worried that he won't be killed if you returned him? You want him to be killed so he can't be a hyper dog to another family? Are you serious?

My dog when she was young chewed on furniture, ripped up blankets and pillows, stole my socks, caused me to bleed with her scratches, destroyed my favorite shoes and I could go on and on. Now that she is 12, I really miss those past mischievousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs