Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:34 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Just to add - I've had 2 goldens over the years , and have learned that while young they ALWAYS NEED SOMETHING IN THEIR MOUTHS.

So, in addition to the training and exercise recommended by others above, simply supply your dog with plenty of bones (I find them at the local farmer's market - there are 2 grass fed beef guys who sell bags of scrap bones cut to a size perfect for dogs), rawhides, tennis balls and squeaky toys. This alone will solve most of the destructive behaviors you've been experiencing.

If you don't have the patience to do the above, please let us know the region in which you live so that we can help you find a golden retriever rescue group, which will take the dog off your hands and see that it is properly trained then find it a good home.

I see that you post a lot in the Las Vegas forum. Here is a Golden Retriever rescue group I found listed on Petfinder.com: Golden Retriever Rescue So. Nevada (GRRSN)
Las Vegas, NV
Phone: (702) 598-GOLD [598-4653]
Snipped from the top of the surrender form for GRRSN: "If you have a Golden Retriever that you need to surrender, for any reason, please fill out the Owner Release Form below. Our Intake Director will contact you immediately to arrange the intake. If possible, prior to the surrender, please obtain copies of your dog’s most recent medical records from your current veterinarian that reflect your dog’s most recent vaccinations, microchip information, spay/neuter status, and any medical issues that your dog may currently have or has had in the past."

Here is the link to the form: GRRSN – Owner Release Form
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
Looked in to GR rescue.... asked 50 questions and admitted they can't place a dog with behavioral problems. I think destroying half our house qualifies as one.

To everyone who claims he's bored cause he's all alone: Wrong. We have another high energy/hyper female dog and they play together all day long. But even she has limits and has gotten snippy when he won't leave her alone. He of course thinks she is playing and continues. Only way to get him off her is to throw my shoes at him. We also got her from the pound and has never been a problem. She is a great dog unlike the Devil Dog.
Your young GR doesn't have behavioral problems. He is exhibiting behaviors that are normal for a high energy, genetically mouthy, untrained young GR...especially a dog from working lines which I suspect he may be...who has lived for two years with no structure/training/management in his life.

Most dogs accepted into breed specific Aussie or BC rescue...I have Aussies and am most familiar with Aussie and BC rescue...have what the owners describe as behavioral problems the vast majority of which are the result of no/poor training and which resolve nicely with some training and management by people familiar with the breeds. Our local breed specific GR rescue would accept your dog in a heartbeat and be thrilled to take him.

Any rescue that states they cannot "place a dog with behavioral problems" after merely conversing with the current owner is acting as a middle man...accepting easy dogs and placing them with no time spent on evaluation/training/management and likely merely to turn a profit...and is completely unethical IMO. Unless that behavior problem involved human aggression at which point they should counsel you with options. Breed specific rescues commonly accept dogs with a variety of issues, evaluate them and provide appropriate training/management after which they are then successfully adopted.

Are you saying you contacted the local rep for a breed specific GR rescue? Based on your post I find that hard to believe. When we suggested you contact GR rescue we meant contact your local rep for breed specific Golden Retriever rescue...a rescue that takes only GRs. Very easy to Google.

BTW, your young GR is likely highly intelligent. Playing with your other dog may serve as an outlet for some of his physical energy but it does nothing to address his mental energy. His mind needs to be challenged, worked and exhausted with daily training. And I don't mean just manners training.

Regardless, he is not the dog for you nor is he the dog for anyone looking for an easy family companion. He needs a working home and GR rescue will get him one.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
No behavioral issues? He destroys everything he can get his mouth on: mattress, sofa, shoes, clothes, packages, etc. He won't stop harassing our other dogs or cats. He has injured me several times by purposefully running in to the back of my leg while I'm walking. Also severely injured and bloodied my foot when I tried to stop a fight between him and another dog which he started.

We got our female dog when she was 9 months old and she has NEVER done any of the things this Devil Dog does. Actually, none of our 20 dogs have ever done what this Devil Dog has done. Plus 2 years is NOT a puppy!

I'd be horrified if he were to be adopted in to another unsuspecting family!
Sorry to say this but, really, you are completely clueless here. And the unfortunate victim of a shelter that is unable or unwilling to properly evaluate and place a high energy dog. But truly clueless since you continue to ignore the information we are giving you regarding the temperament of, training requirements for and re-homing options for your dog.

GRs are MOUTHY by nature. Most retriever breeds are. Individual dogs with high energy levels are gonna display this tendency to greater degrees.

Your dog is overwhelmed by his very high energy levels and is seeking any available outlets because you haven't given him appropriate outlets based on his individual needs. Forget the needs of all your previous dogs. His are different. He is the type of dog...at least energy wise...that seasoned search & rescue handlers look for in shelters.

Your dog is a rambunctious adolescent who runs into the back of your leg because he is running and can't stop himself or has no idea that not running into you is inappropriate or he loves/craves the physical contact or a combination of the above.

Any dog might reasonably react to inappropriate overtures made by your dog by first warning and then escalating if your dog does not or cannot respond politely to the fair warnings. Your dog might then react to the fair warning resulting in a fight. This can occur with dogs who are socially inept by canine standards and does not indicate aggression. Sticking your foot between them to stop a fight was asking for a bloodied foot. Neither dog could reasonably be faulted for biting your foot as they were likely both extremely emotionally ramped and interpreting your foot as the other dog. Or it could have been redirected: when dogs cannot (for whatever reason) control the object of their attention they can quickly redirect to another object that becomes available...like your foot. Better to 1) make a loud noise by banging pots together to startle them or 2) slide something between them...whatever is handy such as a dog bed...to separate them or 3) drape a blanket over their heads (covering their eyes) to disorient them. All serve to stop the madness at which point most dogs will back down.

Two years of age is definitely still mentally a puppy for many breeds and especially so for a high energy dog that has lived from home to shelter to home to shelter to home, etc. and without structure/training/management.

Don't be horrified then. Contact GRRSN. GRRSN – Owner Release Form

Old 01-30-2016, 12:41 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Looked in to GR rescue.... asked 50 questions and admitted they can't place a dog with behavioral problems. I think destroying half our house qualifies as one.

To everyone who claims he's bored cause he's all alone: Wrong. We have another high energy/hyper female dog and they play together all day long. But even she has limits and has gotten snippy when he won't leave her alone. He of course thinks she is playing and continues. Only way to get him off her is to throw my shoes at him. We also got her from the pound and has never been a problem. She is a great dog unlike the Devil Dog.
That is animal abuse, plain and simple. I'm sorry the shelter didn't do a better job screening you before letting you take this poor dog.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Well, you can take him with you on your daily 3-4 hour runs in the mountains that you say you like to do to avoid having to see fat people at the gym.

//www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...-join-gym.html

The fact is, you should not own a dog if you are not willing to let them be a part of your family. And ESPECIALLY if you are going to blame the dog for the fact that you did not take any time to train him simply because "all your other dogs" did not require training.
Thanks Girl. I read a bit of the thread linked above and now realize that acercode enjoys trolling. So I'm outta here.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:12 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Thanks Girl. I read a bit of the thread linked above and now realize that acercode enjoys trolling. So I'm outta here.
That is a relief- I would rather have a pet troll than a dog in danger

Old 01-30-2016, 01:23 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
Quote:
No behavioral issues? He destroys everything he can get his mouth on: mattress, sofa, shoes, clothes, packages, etc. He won't stop harassing our other dogs or cats. He has injured me several times by purposefully running in to the back of my leg while I'm walking. Also severely injured and bloodied my foot when I tried to stop a fight between him and another dog which he started.

We got our female dog when she was 9 months old and she has NEVER done any of the things this Devil Dog does. Actually, none of our 20 dogs have ever done what this Devil Dog has done. Plus 2 years is NOT a puppy!

I'd be horrified if he were to be adopted in to another unsuspecting family!
You expect every dog to behave like the others? Really? The dog has no behavioral issues, based on YOUR description. You're just too ignorant to know that you have failed him in not getting him trained. The dog is normal...you and your family are just apathetic.

Why do you think the dog needs to be put down? That's just ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:24 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What you describe is a NORMAL golden retriever who has not been trained properly and you surely must be lying about GR rescue not wanting him, because any decent GR rescue would want him out of your home and in their care immediately, to prevent you from doing any more damage.
Yup, totally agree.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:30 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
That is a relief- I would rather have a pet troll than a dog in danger

Sad to say, I believe that the OP is serious about this situation and someone needs to get that poor dog out of her home ASAP.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:34 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,853 times
Is this post serious! I mean I guess it could be since I've seen people in this situation when adopting a dog or buying a puppy but some of it seems unreal.

The dog is certainly a handful, many high energy dogs can be destructive. Though I don't see anything abnormal for a bored, high energy dog or reasons to be called a "Devil Dog". The dog sounds manageable, it's not impossible, otherwise no one would own a high drive, high energy Malinois, GSD, Pit, Border Collie, ect, ect. This dog is far from the crazy dog that they are being made out to be. I could understand someone being at their wits end trying to deal Auth the situation if they were not prepared but they have been given good suggestions.

I also don't see why the rescue wouldn't take him, considering how many dogs end up in rescue for these same reasons.

Rehome the dog to someone who will give him a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs