Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:00 AM

965 posts, read 939,953 times

Advertisements

Since this got dredged up from a few years ago.... NYTom (or others) do you still love the vacuum you bought?
I have always had little to no carpet, so the minimal use on the oreck got when I had a bit more carpet, has allowed it to survive in a closet for the most part.

With 3 dogs and 2 cats I sweep daily, sometimes hourly wood (and laminate) floors. The dust, dust bunnies, etc.... go into a corner and then I pull out the shop vac. It is a beast, and a pain to take out daily, but I can slide furniture and get the hose under every week too. In a dream home I would have a giant closet for the shop vac.
I honestly would freak out if I didn't have it. I gave up on all others, but it sounds like they are getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I just purchased the Shark Rotator and already I love it. It has great attachments (guys always love gadgets) and how easy everything interchanges. I easily maneuvered from wall to wall carpeting, to tile, to hardwood floors, to area rugs with ease. The dust bin was a breeze to empty compared to the Hoover Animal vac. We have 3 dogs and 6 cats, which equates to lots of hair. My old unit used to clog up pretty easily, but not the new unit.
Totally recommend it to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 01:30 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
First home with hardwoods...only one dog, but a year round shedder. I find myself getting a bit OCD about the dog hair always floating on that danged floor. The last time I got my hair cut I noticed the salon had this wonderful gadget about the size of an office paper shredder. It's a motion-sensing stationary vacuum. All someone has to do is sweep the hair close enough to the opening and it starts up automatically and sucks up every strand. The bin holds quite a bit. I am very tempted!!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:41 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,992,176 times
I have the shark navigator.
Best out there as far as I am concerned.

Bob.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,202,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
First home with hardwoods...only one dog, but a year round shedder. I find myself getting a bit OCD about the dog hair always floating on that danged floor. The last time I got my hair cut I noticed the salon had this wonderful gadget about the size of an office paper shredder. It's a motion-sensing stationary vacuum. All someone has to do is sweep the hair close enough to the opening and it starts up automatically and sucks up every strand. The bin holds quite a bit. I am very tempted!!

I've seen these too and am also very tempted.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Roomba every day.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2018, 11:07 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,497,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Since this got dredged up from a few years ago.... NYTom (or others) do you still love the vacuum you bought?
I have always had little to no carpet, so the minimal use on the oreck got when I had a bit more carpet, has allowed it to survive in a closet for the most part.

With 3 dogs and 2 cats I sweep daily, sometimes hourly wood (and laminate) floors. The dust, dust bunnies, etc.... go into a corner and then I pull out the shop vac. It is a beast, and a pain to take out daily, but I can slide furniture and get the hose under every week too. In a dream home I would have a giant closet for the shop vac.
I honestly would freak out if I didn't have it. I gave up on all others, but it sounds like they are getting better.
If you want fairly inexpensive and no cord:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some of the reviews are pretty rough. However, I am on my second one. First one lasted 2 years. I use it daily. For the price and amount of use... I am happy. I do make sure to keep it VERY clean. I THINK that might be the problem with some of the negative reviews.

Our home is all tile, with a few throw rugs.
I like that it is cordless. VERY handy. We also have a Shop Vac. This one is much easier to whip out and use!
It does really well along wall edges. Other brands/models didn't do so well.
I also have one corner area... it is kinda like a V shape. Not enough room to vacuum up to the wall. Of course that is where several hair bunnies end up. I am able to get the vacuum within inches, and it sucks everything up!

As far as stick cordless vacuums, it does the best with picking up kitty litter also.

It has two options.. beater bar and no beater bar. I use the beater bar option for throw rugs and kitty litter on the tile. I mostly use the non-beater bar option for for pet hair "floating" around on tile.

Last edited by Lola4; 06-10-2018 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Corrected the link

Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,103,614 times
I have also gone through 2 vacuums in 4 yrs of living here but only have carpet in the three bedroom and a rug in the living room and dinning room all else is laminate and tile . But even so the vacuums just don't pick up the hair on the rugs and carpet like they used too . I also use a lil tool to groom the dogs called a zoom groom put out by Kong and it sure gets the hair off your dogs like no ones business and you will be shocked how much loose hair is on your dogs . I m in the market for a new vacuum but have not found anything from anyone that lasts more than 2 years and let us face it folks vacuums are costly now , I swear my pops would have a coronary over what stuff like this costs now . I need a good vacuum that will last longer than two years .

Old 06-13-2018, 10:45 AM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
We bought the lowest end roomba and it has lasted for over 4 years, and still going. I still come through the house with a regular vac about once a month to get under couches and stuff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,336,949 times
I'm a roomba fan for life, living on a farm, with dogs and a cat. I have a higher end roomba and I run it every day. It was expensive but worth it to me, as I also have back problems and arthritis. I always say it's cheaper than a maid. It gets under most of the furniture I have. There are no dust bunnies under the beds. I do run a regular vacuum every now and then in corners and around area rugs.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 1,880 times
Tips for Getting Rid of Pet Hair:

Assuming that you already have a reliable vacuum that will allow you to clean pet hair, here are other things that you can also do to get rid of the latter:

One of the simplest solutions is to train your pet in the areas where they should be. As much as possible, keep them out of the furniture or area rugs. Give them their own private space, in an area where there is no high foot traffic and easy to clean.
Running a humidifier is another solution that will work. It will not only soothe skin dryness and make you feel more comfortable, but it will also lessen the likelihood the pet hairs will cling to the surfaces.
If you are dealing with pet hair on non-upholstered surfaces, such as glass and laminate, the best thing to do is to use a microfiber cloth. The latter comes with a micro-static charge, which will let the pet hair cling.
Inflating a balloon is another trick that could work, although it may seem funny for many. All that you have to do is inflate a balloon. Once it is ready, rub it on the furniture or any surface with pet hair. This will be effective because of its static charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs