Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 AM

226 posts, read 199,148 times

Advertisements

Maybe since the posted rules don't work, there should be signs with images instead. The ones with dogs are just for...dogs. Parks for children can be fully explained by seeing images of kids playing-only. Maybe that will simplify things for people. They don't read.

Who am I kidding? People do whatever the heck they want to do regardless of the rules. Then, when a child or animal gets hurt from ignoring the rules, they go ballistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
I agree it is nonsense for the dog owners to do this.
But, OP is there another park where this isn't occurring? You should either call the authorities, it is a good chance for police to hand out tickets. Switch parks until this is resolved.

You should find safe ways to help your daughter get over her fears now, or they might become irrational/phobic.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:12 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree it is nonsense for the dog owners to do this.
But, OP is there another park where this isn't occurring? You should either call the authorities, it is a good chance for police to hand out tickets. Switch parks until this is resolved.

You should find safe ways to help your daughter get over her fears now, or they might become irrational/phobic.
I agree with all of this. Dogs shouldn't go where they're specifically not allowed and owners who allow it should be fined. And parents who take young kids into dog parks when not allowed should be as well. This issue goes both ways and there is plenty of disregard from both sides.

As far as the OPs daughter is concerned, I agree as well. Helping her get over her fears should also be of concern. There was a poster a while back who thought dogs should be banned from all stores (even when the store specifically allowed them) because their kid was afraid of dogs and freaked out even when a dog on leash was in their vicinity. That kid seemed to have an irrational fear/phobia since a leashed dog is under human control and couldn't approach them. Maybe the OP can find that post and see if the parent came up with a good way to desensitize their kid to dogs and would be willing to share.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
This is a public park, is it not? Were they just walking through?

Perhaps you'd be better off helping your child get over her fears, because everywhere they go there will likely be dogs.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yes, that is just as annoying and it is all part of the same issue - people thinking they are an exception to the rules.
Everyone thinks they are the exception to the rule or that everyone else should lighten up. All the time. About everything.

Which is why I hate everybody and don't go out anymore.

Exaggeration. But only slightly.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This is a public park, is it not? Were they just walking through?

Perhaps you'd be better off helping your child get over her fears, because everywhere they go there will likely be dogs.

From the OPs post, I got the impression that the issue is people bringing dogs into a fenced off play area where signs are posted that state dogs are not allowed. If it's just a matter of a person walking a dog through a public park on leash and dogs are allowed in that part of the park, then yes the OP would be asking for accommodation for her kid that's unreasonable and would impede use of the park by other members of the public.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 AM

19,554 posts, read 9,565,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
Maybe since the posted rules don't work, there should be signs with images instead. The ones with dogs are just for...dogs. Parks for children can be fully explained by seeing images of kids playing-only. Maybe that will simplify things for people. They don't read.

Who am I kidding? People do whatever the heck they want to do regardless of the rules. Then, when a child or animal gets hurt from ignoring the rules, they go ballistic.
+1
Maybe they can't read? Or they have some kind of tunnel vision only see what is in front of them not to the side of gate? However, they can be the same people that ignore the 2 way/4 way posted STOP signs when driving? It's not right though but it happens.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 AM

965 posts, read 940,660 times
I love using a polite element of surprise. I watched a 12 year old kid let her dog take a dump on my lawn (I was inside) and it was in the days before poo bags. I ran and grabbed a bread bag and took it outside as she was walking off (fresh dump left behind).

I said excuse me, I thought you might need this bag to clean up after your dog. Of course she was embarrassed, and with friends but she said yes, and thank you.
After she picked it up she did not know what to do with the bag. I told I would put it in my trash can in the alley if she wanted, and she was so relieved. I told her if she was ever out walking and needed to she could drop it in my trashcan.

To this day I know she never did it again. I found out later she went to school with my kids, and I knew her mom. Of course it wouldn't work with some kids, but I knew she was just clueless, not rude on purpose. I do know adults who are shocked when I hand them a poo bag, they have just never thought of it! It still hard for me to believe I know people like this Lol!

I actually always take an extra leash as well, since I know I know people who just don't use leashes. I have heard "I don't have one on me" one too many times. It is a pain to carry all that extra stuff for other people but I am bound and determined to try to educate so we can all avoid extra restrictions on on pets.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:27 AM

17,350 posts, read 11,309,713 times
If laws and local ordinances were even occasionally enforced and people given a warning or even a fine, these things wouldn't happen.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:54 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,735,546 times
In the actual playground is unacceptable. Walking around the perimeter of where the kids are playing might be necessary if the dog owners have children playing at that playground. Inside a fenced area is not okay, but outside the fenced area is (assuming there are not posted rules about that).

We sometimes go to a park where dogs are not allowed on the actual playground, but it's not fenced. So people (are supposed to) keep their dogs off of the place where the woodchips are, but the grass is fair game. The dogs have to be leashed. It drives me nuts when they're not leashed... not because I'm afraid of dogs or because I'm worried that the dogs are not friendly, but because as the owner of a dog who is reactive to other dogs, I know that if an unleashed dog ran up to my dog, there would be snapping and growling on the part of my dog. (Therefore, we do not go to the park with our dog.)

That was a tangent, but if everyone would just follow the laws/rules, it would make life easier for those with frightened children or not-other-dog-friendly dogs of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs